Vibration under braking

David113

'04 tdi90 130,000 miles. I get vibration, felt partly through the steering wheel and mainly through the brake pedal. The discs don't bind in neutral, rolling gently forwards, and there is no vibration if I brake steadily from moderate speed, say 40 mph. If I brake at higher speeds, the vibrations are different depending on the speed and the braking effort. I've experienced vibration before as the dual mass flywheel approached its expiry date and it's not the same. All 4 discs and pads were changed about 2-3,000 miles ago with Pagid parts so I don't think the discs have warped as they don't bind or vibrate at low speeds. All I can think of is that early in its life, despite what the dealer said, the front o/s wheel was misaligned leading to steering wheel vibration and rapid tyre wear. This was cured by a different dealer after the wheels were re aligned, the front o/s being quite badly out of true, but I wonder if it has worn out the shock absorber damping which now oscillates under braking at different frequencies depending on the braking effort?

Before I swap out the shock absorbers, any comments would be most welcome.

Other than that, all's well. Incidentally quite impressed with BP Ultimate diesel so far. Snappier pick up, quieter and better mpg but more expensive /litre. Total Excellium pretty good too but less widely available in UK.

I went through three sets of padgid discs from euro car parts before the final set stayed true. Luckily my independent just kept swapping them under the warranty. But next time I will fit audi ones - I picked a water damaged set up from a dealer for £15 - it was only the box that was damaged. Cheers mike

How interesting, my discs are are Padgid from Euro car parts too. Although they seem to be well thought of, I wonder if they start off true and become deformed in use. If they're still under warranty I'll get them changed and see what happens? Thank you.

Well, it's the 1st November and many more miles racked up and discs remain true so original problem seems to have been a faulty batch. Full marks to Euro Car Parts for swapping them out without fuss.

Back