whos had my spoiler!

Audiobull

A2OC Donor
Went out to the drive this morning. some w^%$&r has ripped ours off. my mrs drives it 99% of the time. she is so upset. would anyone take it for another car or would it have been taken for a2 specific?

ive got many other cars worth more on the drive and nothing done or taken from them. especially the rx8 which has a spoiler on and easier to take.

we live in a small village so i am guessing the police should be able to tell how many a2's are in the village? theres a new estate just been built so perhaps thinking the local council lot have had it.
where is the best place to buy a new one or is it a new rear tailgate?

what else can be taken, ive now had more problems with things being stolen from our a2 then i have any other car ive ever owned. mirrors, mirror glass, grill and now spoiler. not all from my driveway.

it annoys somewhat but got to smile or ill cry :-(

Sorry to hear your tale of woe.
The spoiler comes with the tailgate so is not available as a separate part. Try advertising on here (rules apply) or check e.bay and the breakers yards for a complete tailgate - in the same colour if you are lucky.

Cheers Spike

Blimey - they've ripped off the rear spoiler? Is the glass intact?
That's a horrible thing to happen, sorry to hear that.
As Spike says, the spoiler comes pre-attached to the rear glass so the whole thing is replaced - either that or a 2nd hand tailgate, you'll find plenty on ebay.

Strangely enough, someone on here the other day was wondering what the A2 looked like with its rear spoiler missing?

Really sorry to hear about your A2 . Who on earth would take a spoiler ??? I'm guessing whoever took it had no idea that it was one piece. I have a tail gate with SE spoiler in cobalt blue

It is really hard to imagine that it could have been "ripped-off" ? Incredibly powerfully bonded! However, the good news is that there are always plenty of them on Ebay .... typically ~ £60-£80. In fact, I've got a spare, too! Yours for only £50! It's silver .... P.M. me if you want it ....

David

i do have the spoiler but beyond repair. luckily the glass is still in tack. i walked down the alley near our house and found it in the bush. obviously realised they had wrecked it and wouldnt be able to use/sell it. not sure what colour ours is, its a blue/green colour?
definitely on the look out for one, waiting for police to arrive to finger print both car and spoiler. it wont get any further but worth a try i guess.

If I have to guess, it was an act by someone drunk on their way home. No intention of taking the part to sell what so ever. The piece of plastic is bonded to the glass and I remember the workshop manual says something about a jig for alignment. But with the labour involved, it might be cheaper to get another tailgate and respray. Really sorry to hear about your unfortunate.

Good luck with the police.
If you have any neighbourhood watch try to add "theft from vehicle" as the major concern of your community and then some investigations should eventually happen. If it tops the local list is becomes too much of a pain to avoid as every theft from car reported makes them miss KPI's....

It used to be radios and wheels people went for. Why on earth would anyone want to steal a bonded spoiler?

It would be interesting to see an A2 sans-spoiler. If it is not too painful could you post a picture?

John

I had my windscreen wiper ripped off by a passing (presumably drunk) ruffian a few months back. When I realised the same had happened to at least 5 of my neighbours I reported it to the police. They did come round and the SOCOs took finger prints etc and eventually found my wiper about 100m up the road.

I'm in agreement with the posts above... I think it was just petty vandalism rather than someone stealing it to sell it.

Awful vandalism. Bet they hasdto jump on it. I've had tyres slashed and wing mirrors kicked off previous cars, before we moved. Really if it's not too painful could you post a pic up?

Seriously, seriously gets my goat up these sort of antics.

I instantly come over all curmudgeonly and amongst many uttered oaths can be heard saying stuff about national service, put in stocks, thrashing, no respect etc etc.

Condolences

Andy B

The problem is with National Service they would become better with tools...
It seems to be more motivated by jealousy and a desire for "entertainment".
It is a very sad reflection on society though!

well they come round, looked at the car, looked at the spoiler. walked down the alley where i found it, said they couldnt do anything because it was over 24hrs since we think it may have happened, gave me a incident number and dissapeared. ow how i love to see where my council tax money goes!!

yer no worries i will get a pic tomorrow for you all.

I also have a mazda rx8 on the drive, a vw caddy van with mods, isuzu bighorn with mods and they chose the more rarer and special of all the 4 to pick on. annoys me they do not think before doing anything.

It couldnt have been jealousy or someone we upset or they would have gone for the more expensive cars.

Anyway i now have a much better chance of having my cars stay in one piece now, the mrs getting upset about her baby (the a2) has got me to spend a "hell" of a lot of money on a cctv system. i didnt know they cost that much wow! Ive temp set them up looking out over the cars but will get it all sorted around the entire house tomorrow. I can even check and move the cameras while at work or on site using my phone.

I've offered you a rear hatch in silver .... I know you can claim on your Insurance, but you can now have mine for £40!

David

Thank you DJ 190
mrs is going to live with it until we get the right colour. if i had my way id get it but then your miles from us also.

i would also like to add. the spoiler is there for a reason. the steering is very heavy at higher speeds compared to slower driving. i would have expected it being lighter for some reason but then what do i know. even the mrs commented on it without me saying anything.

CCTV is a tool for after effect. It may or may not help catch the person after the act. If you haven't already, I think deterrent is better. As simple as a motion activated spot light. Drunks who are out for some 'entertainment' doesn't look for your cctv camera unless it is very obvious for a drunk person to see. But a very bright spot light shinning at the face usually keeps them away from doing silly things.

I think deterrent is better. A very bright spot light shinning at the face usually keeps them away from doing silly things.

Agreed, very sorry to read about this mindless vandalism. I have 2 motion sensor lights in the back of the house and at the weekend I keep an outside light burning at all times during the hours of darkness which covers the cars parked at the front. We live in a quiet area, bit have been victim to the odd drunken prank due to a pedestrian railway bridge being adjacent our house - therefore we are one of the main stagger routes home.

May not be very environmentally friendly, but I think lighting is a good deterrent.

Hopefully your A2 is back to full health very soon.

I've got three lights at ours, back/side/front. All energy saving bulbs, so not killing any baby Polar bears. I wish more of my neighbours would do the same. We're in a nice area, and vandalism isn't an issue, but the wife left her satnav (that I'd bought) in the glovebox of her unlocked car, and that went from the car a while back whilst parked on the road outside the house.

I agree good lighting is the way forward.

Back