FSI MOT Emissions Reading

chumsofmanutd

A2OC Donor
Hi guys,

I was wondering if I could ask a favour from a fellow FSI owner.

I currently have a project FSI that is very nearly finished. I've completed a significant engine over haul - head gasket, refurbished injectors and inlet system work as well as a replacement gearbox. The car is now running and performing superbly.

One issue that remains however is the emissions test, which is solely holding it back from passing MOT. It is the Carbon Monoxide results that are high, Lambda and HC seem fine. I was wondering if anyone would be willing to share their emissions read out from a previous MOT for an FSI so that I can get a good picture of what readings are normal for the car? Even though my HC and Lambda readings have passed I still wonder whether they should be so high. Hopefully seeing another FSI MOT read out will help me to pin point exactly whats at fault - a pre or post Lambda, the CAT or something else. The car had been blowing out engine coolant before the head gasket was done, so there is a chance the CAT is damaged. No faults at all are stored on the ECU, and there are no warning lights on the dash.

Any help much appreciated.

Cheers

Rob

The MOT on my FSI last time was as follows:

Fast idle
CO Limit max 0.20% Reading 0.00%
HC Limit max 200 ppm Reading 42 ppm
Lambda Limits 0.97 - 1.03 Reading 1.00

Natural idle
CO Limit max 0.30% Reading 0.01%

Regards

Andrew

Hi guys,

Thanks for the replies, much appreciated. Based on your results I decided it looked like my CAT was most likely at fault and luckily I had a spare one I could stick on the car. I am happy to report that the prognosis was correct and the FSI today passed MOT :) I have to say a perfect running FSI is a joy to drive! :)

Cheers

Rob.

Hmmm....so just had MOT which garage said it passed...but when i got home I read the results and the emissions test was rather unusual....as it said Overall = Failed ????? Not sure how MOT was a success now?

Fast idle
CO 0.38%
HC 83ppm
Lambda 0.992

Natural idle - not done ?

What should I do or what should I have expected.....or is something very wrong with my car?

Bit worried right now.

PS: just noticed time stamp of test which was 8.20 this morning which is a few minutes after we dropped it off...so only running for 10mins...maybe too soon and car not warm?

Hi guys,

Thanks for the replies, much appreciated. Based on your results I decided it looked like my CAT was most likely at fault and luckily I had a spare one I could stick on the car. I am happy to report that the prognosis was correct and the FSI today passed MOT :) I have to say a perfect running FSI is a joy to drive! :)

Cheers

Rob.

I realise this is an old thread but which cat did you replace?

Replacing the cat would be the last resort but I was just wanting to check price and availability. It seems the cats are readily available at a reasonable price unlike the rest of the exhaust system on the 1.6 FSI.

Back