Front wheel bearing

Hi all. Firstly thanks to all that helped me with the last enquiry's, they helped.

My next question is.................

Are front wheel bearings as easy to remove as they say. If so any tips? ;)

Cheers

Jas

removal and replacement requires the correct tool. Don't bother trying it without it, and you'll probably need a replacement ABS sensor while you're at it.

- Bret

Reactions: chb
And the correct tool isn't a hydraulic press. There's a special Audi tool that is used to remove the old bearing and to pull the new one into place. Using anything other than the correct tool will result in damage to the new bearing - don't waste your money trying to bodge a fix.

Jason, as Mike correctly stated, using a press or any other method to replace the bearing risks serious damage to the retaining spring-clip which could be catastrophic.

There is a special tool to press the drive shaft out of the bearing tool or a press/extractor can be used.
Apart from that, you will also need the bi-hex socket to replace the drive shaft nut (one time use only) and the torque settings for the various nuts.
In doing this job, I have found that it is by far easier to exchange the steering knuckle fitted with a new bearing rather than enduring the pain that many times comes with removing and replacing the bearing from the knuckle on the car. The video that Spike refers to makes the operation seem easy but my experiences tell otherwise.

I have the special Audi bearing tool as well as the other tools necessary for this operation and have replaced a number of bearings for fellow members. I do offer an exchange service to members or I can do the swap for you (or any other repair or service) in a fully kitted-out workshop. PM me for details.

I'll post some pics depicting the correct fitment on a refurbished knuckle as well what can happen if the incorrect tool is used.

blue skies
tony

What do you mean not straight forward Tony :).....................

can I have my delfector ring back yet.........if a certain something has been achieved :) LOL

What do you mean not straight forward Tony :).....................

can I have my delfector ring back yet.........if a certain something has been achieved :) LOL

John and I battled for a considerable length of time to remove the R/F drive shaft from the bearing last week. Eventually, having exhausted all our options, John removed the constant velocity joint with the steering knuckle attached so that the new unit could be fitted. My task that John refers to is to press the drive shaft out of the knuckle using a 50 ton press.

As I intimated in an earlier post - the video makes the operation seem easy but my-oh-my you can struggle and be beaten all too easily.

PS. I'm doing it on Saturday am John, Ill text you when it's done so we can meet.

blue skies
tony

His refurbished hubs are sweet - powder coated and look great. I also replaced my splash plates as well.

I supplied the bearings and we popped them in using the tool Tony has, that part was straight forward.

Let me know what time on Sat am Tony, as Im taking the car apart again to sand and repaint the driveshafts so they look better and wont rust further.

John

Back