Stealth Racing Re Map Experience

T

Tim Shapcott

As a new member on behalf of my wife I thought I would briefly explain our Stealth experience last sat.
Having booked our 1.4tdi 90 in several weeks ago which was bought a month earlier with 86,000 miles I decided to renew the cambelt, water pump and kit before going to Stealth.
Met up with Vince and his team who are all very accommodating and quickly got the car strapped down on the dyno and wired up to the 3 computers to start the first run achieving 98 bhp etc..
The initial codes quickly suggested 3 new glow plugs and Vince quickly ordered the parts which arrived in 45 minutes.

Vince explained to me how all the code was downloaded and what looked like millions of lines of values and how with the software this can be converted into graph form and how difficult it is understanding the different maps references etc...

Having tweeked certain maps the info was reloaded and ran the car full speed in 4th to achieve huge gains in bhp at 125 and circa 30% in torque. We did however get plenty of black smoke and this wasn't good. After more tweeking and uploading we managed two further runs of 118 and 112 and still some smoke on the 118 run.

Vince wanst happy with the 112 run and decided to disconnect the fuel lines and run the car on neat diesel engine cleaner.....after 20 mins putting the car back together we got 118 bhp and 25% plus more ft lbs (cant remember the exact figure) and a clean exhaust.

A quick road test and the difference was noticeable with a rev range throughout the whole range...not just between 2,000 to 3,000 revs as before.

We achieved early 50 mpg on the run from York and 59 mpg on the way back and much smoother acceleration.

I wold recommend them to anyone thinking of contemplating a remap and the helpful manner to get the job done.

Tim:)

Hi Tim
Welcome to the A2oc and thanks for a most interesting and informative first post.

Cheers Spike

Good report. Also probably demonstrates the benefits of using quality branded fuels and even better still the likes of Vpower etc along with an Italian tune up every now and again to keep the engine clean... ;)

Ours is booked tomorrow 11 oclock...........vince gave me a price for the remap, now one thing worries me a bit about the above report, if vince finds something wrong with the engine and says for instance that 3 new glow plugs are needed in my car what happens. I can only afford the remap at the moment, not any parts that might be needed. Our car is a 55 plate with 48,567 miles and in great condition. We are doing a round trip of 250 miles and I am now wondering if the journey might be worth it.

Sorry guys if I sound negative and after reading reports about Vinces work I feel that he should be trusted do do the best for the engine, but I simply cannot afford anything extra that the engine may need.

Best.
John.

Just to say guys, I should have asked the Q before hand really but didn't even think about it.............DOH....

Its pointless doing a remap on an engine which is not in good health. Glowplugs only affect the engine while it is cold so if the same happened to you, I'm sure the remap could go ahead without the new plugs being fitted. If the scan found anything more sinister then you would be better spending your (remap) money on having it fixed then go back when funds allow.
One thing for sure, Vince is the best man to sort out any problems but this is unlikely to be needed if you think the car is running well and the servicing is up to date.

Cheers Spike

cheers Spike :D what you say makes a lot of sense. As far as im aware the engine seems to be running fine and dandy with no issues what so ever, so we are off in a mo to set off.

OK. We have got back from stealth and the report is as follows.

One OF vinces guys took the car and drove it onto the rolling road, me and the wife were sat in the waiting area so couldn't see what was going on and I was chatting to vince when after about ten mins his chappie popped his head around the door and said to vince that the garage was FULL of smoke (black) he went into the garage and came back saying that he was going to do the same has he had done to Tims car in his post above and decided to disconnect the fuel lines and run the car on neat diesel engine cleaner. He then invited me into the garage area to view what he was going to do.

They ran the car again and again for at least twenty mins untill there was very little or no black smoke coming from the exhaust. When vince was happy with the engine he then decided to work his magic. 30 mins later he explained what he had done during the map and went further to explain why some A2 75 tdiS get slightly more BHP than others, Its all to do with the type of ECU unit in the car, totally over my head but i got the gist. He then offered me to take the car for a run and I couldn't wait so turned left out of the little ind estate and drove it about 2 miles on a great little road with a 50mph speed limit :( At first there didn't seem to be a great diff but eventually I noticed that I wasn't changing down gear when in the past I did if over taking a car in front. The torque was much better and I think that is where the fuel saving will come from. so I took it back to stealth and gave my comments to vince and say that I was more than happy with the result.

All in all I would recommend stealth whole heartedly. Full cost for the re map, injector cleaner, (i think thats what it was) labour and VAT...............:(....................................................................£314.

Just shows what a good job Stealth do and how important it is to have the health check and the before / after dyno runs.
Always makes me wonder how good the results are from the many companies who just download the new map into your ECU and do nothing else.

Cheers Spike

Just shows what a good job Stealth do and how important it is to have the health check and the before / after dyno runs.
Always makes me wonder how good the results are from the many companies who just download the new map into your ECU and do nothing else.

Cheers Spike

I think that Stealth have been consistently proven to do a great job and to really care about what they do.

That is quite rare these days, especially in the motor trade.

If I lived a little closer I would be a customer of theirs (trade or private)

Steve B

Back