Boot Lid Struts

Hi,

Does anyone know where I can buy new struts for the boot lid? current ones leaking and boot heavy to open. Seems Audi no longer stock or supply them.

Thanks

Argh. That's not good. I don't have the name of a company, but I know for a fact there are companies that produce struts. Over on the e46zone (UK BMW forum) a chap was experimenting with replacement struts on his boot. The company that supplied him, seemed to offer a range of different struts, even with more/less force for easier lifting etc.

Hopefully someone will be along here soon and know of such a company.

I'm guessing you've already tried Eurocarparts, GSF, CES UK etc...

Hi,

Seems Audi have stopped making them for all but the earliest A2's (different part number). I have ordered a set of the early ones to see if there is any reason why they will not fit. Will keep you posted.

Mark

Resurrecting an old thread to enquire if anyone has recommendations for these? My tailgate is getting heavier to lift and there's some rusting to the gas strut body. I've seen loads on ebay but no idea about what's a good brand etc.

Any steer appreciated.

I have just replaced mine, but with vgc used A2 ones.

Looks like the ones in Ians link above are good.

They are quite easy to remove and refit too.

Flat screw driver and slightly lift the metal clips, but do not remove them. Elec tape around the screwdriver and lever whilst pulling the top out then the bottom will release with a slight twist off.

Refit the same way, with the clips slightly out.

Ordered the ones from SGS engineering. Will update the thread with my thoughts on them once fitted. Fairly familiar with this task for a change.:D

Mine need changing soon as are only just doing there job.

I think it is causing the boot to not close properly as they are weak it comes down to quick and bounces back up before properly latching? So takes a few goes from various heights to get the boot to close properly.

Do you think struts for this problem as well?

Might be contributing but suspect your boot latch/switch may need adjustment or replacing too. Ours needs a couple of goes to close it occasionally too so I suspect something is worn however start with the obvious and give everything a good lubrication.

That's the new ones arrived and fitted. Pimps easy job and transforms the heavy lift on the tailgate.

2 person job as Paul said and I used broom handle as a safety strut which was the perfect length between the sill and the tailgate interior panel.

Now has that reassuring hydraulic hiss from it again when you open it and it'll lift without assistance from about a third way open.

The parts from SGS look every bit as good quality as OE with 2 year warranty and next day delivery. Happy days.

Last edited:
I think it is causing the boot to not close properly as they are weak it comes down to quick and bounces back up before properly latching? So takes a few goes from various heights to get the boot to close properly.

Every A2 I have ever had (and that's quite a few!) including when the car was brand new, has had the "problem" with needing to have a couple of attempts to close it.

Recently I realised that it is often me to blame, I had my fingers on the switch when closing it, and sometimes I opened it and closed it straight away (too quickly), this is because the electric solenoid lock remains open for a second or two and so it was still in the open position when I closed the tailgate.

I made it worse when I spotted it was not fully closed, by opening it again and slamming it shut very quickly, without giving the solenoid lock time to move to the closed position, again.

So the next time you are cursing the lock (as I frequently did) just open the boot, let the solenoid close again (give it a second or two) and keep your fingers away from the button when you close the boot.

Just opening it and then immediately closing it again is too quick for the lock to reset fully.

Steve B

Recently I realised that it is often me to blame, I had my fingers on the switch when closing it, and sometimes I opened it and closed it straight

Steve B

If you train yourself ( as I did) to close the boot using the hand grip on the inside of the tailgate you´ll stop having the problem. It requires a bit of a´flick´technique but it also keeps finger marks off the paintwork ;)

If you train yourself ( as I did) to close the boot using the hand grip on the inside of the tailgate you´ll stop having the problem. It requires a bit of a´flick´technique but it also keeps finger marks off the paintwork ;)
Yes, it is important not to press the unlock button when closing it or you will have to make several attempts, slamming it shut hard several times and that is not good.
And when it doesn't close properly you open it and slam it shut again before the lock has reset.
It does make it seem like the lock is the problem, when it is actually "user error".

Steve B

Last edited:
Can anyone recommend a pair on eBay? Around the £20 mark there are a few on there but I can't decide what to buy any feed back would be very helpful
, thanks

Can anyone recommend a pair on eBay? Around the £20 mark there are a few on there but I can't decide what to buy any feed back would be very helpful
, thanks

Secondhand ones are likely to be weak though so you might not improve much.

Unscrupulous sellers might fit new ones to their A2 and put the old ones on eBay and you can't tell if they are worn or OK.

Steve B

Back