Total Engine Failure (what would you do/advise guys/gals)

Richardu

A2OC Donor
This could not have come at a worse time.
A2, 1.4Tdi 90 Sport Se (the one with coded factory full body kit & 17s).
Always wanted one of these, found one with ‘service’ history, 76 on the clock which seemed to tick all the boxes – was comparing this to my VW T4 with 150k and running like a sewing machine.

After an initial fuel filter, I was over the moon with performance, handling, economy and road tax. Compared to our Volvo, the A2 seemed free!
Then BOOM! Total engine failure – taken to autotechnic at Sheffield (Bob and Ross really good team to deal with, kept me up todate before conducting any work – providing alternatives where possible).
Up shot: turbo dead, lost compression on x2 cylinders. Looking at £3.5k to fix using brand new audi parts. £2.?K for an block strip down to check pistons, valves etc (and replace I think).

Or, tow it to London to Ideal Engines who have quoted £1.6k for engine swap and a year’s guarantee on their work.
I’m so gutted, as I said above I really to love the car to bits – such a negative experience.
Black Death strikes again.

PS: What surprises me is just how many other folks have suffered this, and the amount of folks unaware of just how delicate these TDi engines really are. This one poor guy has just bought a 2nd hand 4motion golf £7.5k and he’s looking at £3+k, he’s only had it 4 weeks!!
How much do you think I’d get for the chassis on ebay??

So gutted.

:(

Sorry to hear the bad news and the estimated costs to repair.
Was the TDi 90 bhp standard or was it 'chipped' and to what bhp?
Did the 'service' history' include max 5k oil/filter changes etc?

General question to those who have far more knowledge than me; Does the 1.4 TDi have the oil spray jets onto the underside of the pistons as does the 1.9 TDi which seems to be bomb proof?

Last edited:
This could not have come at a worse time.
A2, 1.4Tdi 90 Sport Se (the one with coded factory full body kit & 17s).
Always wanted one of these, found one with ‘service’ history, 76 on the clock which seemed to tick all the boxes – was comparing this to my VW T4 with 150k and running like a sewing machine.

After an initial fuel filter, I was over the moon with performance, handling, economy and road tax. Compared to our Volvo, the A2 seemed free!
Then BOOM! Total engine failure – taken to autotechnic at Sheffield (Bob and Ross really good team to deal with, kept me up todate before conducting any work – providing alternatives where possible).
Up shot: turbo dead, lost compression on x2 cylinders. Looking at £3.5k to fix using brand new audi parts. £2.?K for an block strip down to check pistons, valves etc (and replace I think).

Or, tow it to London to Ideal Engines who have quoted £1.6k for engine swap and a year’s guarantee on their work.
I’m so gutted, as I said above I really to love the car to bits – such a negative experience.
Black Death strikes again.

PS: What surprises me is just how many other folks have suffered this, and the amount of folks unaware of just how delicate these TDi engines really are. This one poor guy has just bought a 2nd hand 4motion golf £7.5k and he’s looking at £3+k, he’s only had it 4 weeks!!
How much do you think I’d get for the chassis on ebay??

So gutted.

:(

So Sorry to hear about your engine problem.

I am a bit surprised that you seem to think that the TDI engines are delicate??

I have not heard of any such claim before? Have I just missed them?

I have heard of hundreds of TDIs with double century mileages and have experienced up to 150K on a tdi of mine.

But like all engines, if there is a failure (especially of a turbo) the bits get into the cylinders and BANG.

Am I alone ion thinking that there is not common problem with the TDI engines?

As for your predicament, I can only suggest trawling eBay etc. for an engine from a breaker.

I will keep a look out for one for you and I am sure that other members will also want to help.

What code was your engine please?

The 1.6K probably is quite reasonable if that includes a new / recon turbo and fitting.

The very best of luck and I am sure that we wil all try to help you with this nightmare of a problem.

Steve B

Last edited:
So Sorry to hear about your engine problem.

I am a bit surprised that you seem to think that the TDI engines are delicate??

I have not heard of any such claim before? Have I just missed them?

I have heard of hundreds of TDIs with double century mileages and have experienced up to 150K on a tdi of mine.

But lie all engines, if there is a failure (especially of a turbo) the bits get into the cylinders and BANG.

Am I alone ion thinking that there is not common problem with the TDI engines?

As for your predicament, I can only suggest trawling eBay etc. for an engine from a breaker.

I will keep a look out for one for you and I am sure that other members will also want to help.

What code was your engine please?

The 1.6K probably is quite reasonable if that includes a new / recon turbo and fitting.

The very best of luck and I am sure that we wil all try to help you with this nightmare of a problem.

Steve B

There is a company on eBay quoting £1,295 for supply and fit, but that is not the 90 BHP version, but worth checking with him to see what he can do?

I have just emailed another guy on eBay that is breaking a tdi 90 to see if he has the engine available.

Steve B

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Audi-A2-E...ts=Car+Make:Audi|Model:A2&hash=item1e8335a4b4

The most likely sequence of events is that the turbo seals went, allowing oil into the engine intake and resulting in hydro-locking of the engine. Maybe that's why the seller sold the car - he knew that the turbo was going. It's always a good idea to check for play in the turbo shaft by removing the turbo air inlet, every so often. Re-building a turbo is much, much cheaper than buying a new one, never mind saving the engine from the resulting damage!

RAB

Hi folks,

Thx so much for kind words and support. From what the Audi master tech told me; the main problem is that some folks buy these cars, use supermarket cheap fuel and only drive them....well to the shops. The net effect being a build up of black glue-like tar - I have been shown a turbo from a golf at approx 50k and an egr from a 40k scirrocco that came from serious engine failures; both turbo fins into the engine actually. The variable boost fins are particularly sensitive to this crud build up and get stuck/fail to return + the whole engine ability to 'breath' etc is compromised. Don't take my word for it, give autotechnic a call. The only fuel they recommend is a) Shell V-power, and b) BP Ultimate; both contain the additives needed to keep the internals clean, a phenomenon promoted with long drives that raise the overall temp of the engine which 'burns-off' the deposits.

I'm off on Monday to discuss possible routes forward with the lads at autotechnic, I'll post back.

Thanks again folks.

..if I replaced the engine, do I have to notify DVLA?

Cheers

Yes, but that is very easy to do, it is also sensible to make sure that the engine number matches the one referenced in the log book.

It is no "Hanging offence" though, just better done than not !!

Steve B

..just checked the ebay fitter. He's the same guy I called, Ideal Engines and Gearboxes. The price doesn't include items such as alternators, tubos etc. They harvest these from your bloc for the re-fit. He's the guy that quoted £1.627 all in....which is looking evermore attractive.

..just checked the ebay fitter. He's the same guy I called, Ideal Engines and Gearboxes. The price doesn't include items such as alternators, tubos etc. They harvest these from your bloc for the re-fit. He's the guy that quoted £1.627 all in....which is looking evermore attractive.

It certainly does !!!

Steve B

Hi Steve,

Thanks so much for your time, support...ontop of all this, we're in the middle of re-plastering our home, me painting etc etc..b****y nightmare (sorry). I think the code is ATL---GRJ ?? I got this from the initial warranty entitlement record.

Hi Steve,

Thanks so much for your time, support...ontop of all this, we're in the middle of re-plastering our home, me painting etc etc..b****y nightmare (sorry). I think the code is ATL---GRJ ?? I got this from the initial warranty entitlement record.

No need for the thanks, but thanks for the thanks

Yes, the engine code is the ATL

That will help anyone doing the job.

Getting plastered is no solution to any problem!!! (LOL)

Steve B

From here, it's a toss-up which is the more unreliable - ATL or BAD. AUA if there's no piston ring problems, ANY, BHC, AMF and BBY seem to be the better ones.

ATLs have the VTG turbo and it's that that starts issues, along with the Dual mass flywheel.

What *excatly* is wrong with the car? Yes, you'll get more by breaking it, and ATLs are rare, so you may spend some time looking for a replacement engine. The Audi route with a new block is probably the "best", and there are several threads over on the German Forum talking about continental suppliers for this particular engine.

I would personally drop the A2 on the drive and let it sit there until you've found a decently-priced replacement block for it.

- Bret

........ there are several threads over on the German Forum talking about continental suppliers for this particular engine.
- Bret

Hi Bret,

Thanks for your contribution. We don't know the exact extent of the damage because work has been paused at the compression test phase while I decide which line to proceed.

x2 cylinders loss of compression.
x1 'toasted' turbo.

I'm going to ask the technician if he'll fit a recon turbo (currently will not as it would compromise this business) - life is sent to test us all :)

You can buy new turbos at well below the Audi asking price. PM me and I'll tell you where.

RAB

I'm nervous of being accused of advertising, even though I have no connection with the supplier, apart from having purchased a turbo from them!

RAB

I'm nervous of being accused of advertising, even though I have no connection with the supplier, apart from having purchased a turbo from them!

RAB

Hi.

I don't enforce the rules on here so I can't say what is OK and what isn't but if you have found a place that does turbos for our A2s at a great price and you are not connected to them, then I am pretty sure that would be fine (but that is not my call!)

Hopefully one of the moderators will confirm or otherwise.

Nice of you to treat the forum with respect like that though, that is appreciated.

Steve B

Hi All, update for you.

Cylinder 1 = no compression, could be valve could be piston could be both. Cylinders 2 & 3 at 15bar which I believe is ok. Turbo is history.
Rebuild using factory parts including labour = £6+K
Strip to re-bore and replace damaged bits (although we don't know the full extent) = £3+K
Replacement 2nd hand engine £? if I can find an ATL coded version.
Scrap it £500 ?

Ebay=???

If anyone can provide info as to where I might search for an engine, please advise.

Prob end up 'cubing' it TBH - so gutted, loved driving the little devil.

Back