A breaker restored!

At risk of being "contra", why is it that some prefer to break a car for the "toys" making a profit - no matter how largeor small.
Would it not be great to see someone with courage take on the task of repairing/restoring an A2 and thereby extending the life of these cars and keeping them on the road.

Rant over.

blue skies
tony

Also, I hardly think that a DD dash and rear electric windows are very high spec - desireable yes.

blue skies
tony

At risk of being "contra", why is it that some prefer to break a car for the "toys" making a profit - no matter how large or small.
Would it not be great to see someone with courage take on the task of repairing/restoring an A2 and thereby extending the life of these cars and keeping them on the road.

For most people, I think the reason boils down to three words: beyond economical repair.

We're beginning to see this more and more with petrol A2s in particular; they're considered 'high mileage' sooner in their life, they're less sought after and much more abundant than their TDI cousins. As a result, their prices have now come into a zone where they're falling victim to this phenomenon.
I really like what you're saying, as I also enjoy restoration and seeing A2s being kept alive. The phenomenon that we're seeing is an inevitability though, so I think we've got to make the best of it. If the death of an A2 breathes new life into another, then not everything is bad. If goodies are distributed amongst those who desire them, then remaining A2s are improved and further cherished by their owners.

As you know, the A2 that I broke was absolutely dripping with toys; many people's cars benefited from it being dismantled, including Humpy, either through replacement parts or added spec'. It was a wreck. Its 1.4 petrol had done 150k miles and was weeping oil all over the place, its clutch was slipping appallingly, its CCCU had gone nuts, there was oil-based paint spilt all over the interior, the suspension was ruined, and it'd been involved in minor a front-end shunt that destroyed the front bumper area. It was a lost A2, and I'm glad it fell into my hands rather than the hands of a certain Cambridgeshire-based company. All the same can be said of the A2 that you broke.

I agree with your point though, Tony. Breaking can make a few bob, but so can restoring a vehicle. Choosing whether or not to break a particular A2 ought to be done with consideration and a sense of responsibility for the wee car we all admire.

Tom

Last edited:
At risk of being "contra", why is it that some prefer to break a car for the "toys" making a profit - no matter how largeor small.

Rant over.

blue skies
tony

Hi Tony,

That someone is ME !!!

I bought it for £800.

I intend fitting an engine (if it needs it) and putting it back to its former glory.

Scary buying unseen but I think at £800 it is too good to miss (just missed out on the other top specced car sold on here recently !!!

I don't like those wheels but I will be able to use them to see where they rub etc. because I have some 18" versions of the great 17" Sport 9 spoke alloys that I want to fit to my new A2 and I can see where they rub abd what offset works, then sell these and put standard refurbed alloys back on it.

Fingers crossed I haven't bought a "pup" !!!!

Steve B

For most people, I think the reason boils down to three words: beyond economical repair.

We're beginning to see this more and more with petrol A2s in particular; they're considered 'high mileage' sooner in their life, they're less sought after and much more abundant than their TDI cousins. As a result, their prices have now come into a zone where they're falling victim to this phenomenon.
I really like what you're saying, as I also enjoy restoration and seeing A2s being kept alive. The phenomenon that we're seeing is an inevitability though, so I think we've got to make the best of it. If the death of an A2 breathes new life into another, then not everything is bad. If goodies are distributed amongst those who desire them, then remaining A2s are improved and further cherished by their owners.

As you know, the A2 that I broke was absolutely dripping with toys; many people's cars benefited from it being dismantled, including Humpy, either through replacement parts or added spec'. It was a wreck. Its 1.4 petrol had done 150k miles and was weeping oil all over the place, its clutch was slipping appallingly, its CCCU had gone nuts, there was oil-based paint spilt all over the interior, the suspension was ruined, and it'd been involved in minor a front-end shunt that destroyed the front bumper area. It was a lost A2, and I'm glad it fell into my hands rather than the hands of a certain Cambridgeshire-based company. All the same can be said of the A2 that you broke.

I agree with your point though, Tony. Breaking can make a few bob, but so can restoring a vehicle. Choosing whether or not to break a particular A2 ought to be done with consideration and a sense of responsibility for the wee car we all admire.

Tom

Hi Tom,

You have summed it up very nicely, the margin is very close to being an uneconomical repair in this one too.

I paid £800, I have to source and engine (probably) and have it fitted and that COULD be £1,000 (hopefully I can find a bargain but it MIGHT be £1,000)

That means that the total cost will be close to the value of this car.
Extras included a petrol 2001 will not fetch much more than it will have cost me (especially if I do my usual OCD job and try and fix everything, so that it is perfect!)

But I will not shy away from that.

Now anyone know of an AUA engine !!!! ;)
Apart from the one on the link above which sounded OK until the last bit of the video and it sounded like a diesel then !!!!!

Steve B

Last edited:
I rather like the wheels!
The vendor hasn't closed the auction yet have you done the deal?
If you can get the engine restored or replaced that could be a great deal.

I rather like the wheels!
The vendor hasn't closed the auction yet have you done the deal?
If you can get the engine restored or replaced that could be a great deal.

Hi,

Yes the deposit has been paid and I am arranging collection today.

It would be great if the engine was salvageable, but I am not normally that lucky (sob)

The auction has now been closed (that is a relief!)

Steve B

Last edited:
That's a relief!
I hope you choose to delete the dodgy "S" badges :)
Also wondering what the nasty stain on the driver's door card is? I don't think that car has been treated very well, but good that it's off to the car equivalent of Battersea Dogs Home :)

Steve, I thought you were focussed on the TDIs after it took time to sell your high-spec restored FSI? Did the FSI sell in the end? I am a TDI enthusiast too but (like you, perhaps) I'm not hung up about it; my A2 is an FSI because it is the first good A2 I had the opportunity to buy so I snapped it up. I think there's a market for all the different engines.

Steve, I thought you were focussed on the TDIs after it took time to sell your high-spec restored FSI? Did the FSI sell in the end? I am a TDI enthusiast too but (like you, perhaps) I'm not hung up about it; my A2 is an FSI because it is the first good A2 I had the opportunity to buy so I snapped it up. I think there's a market for all the different engines.

Hi the Storm just sold now.

I am not so biased against petrol A2s that I would miss an opportunity like this one!

In fact the Storm I just sold has made me a petrol A2 fan too!!!

Steve B

Back