1.6 FSI earthing?

jammy b

Morning!

Last nite I went out in the car. Driving along I feel it go a little lumpy and the RED battery symbol flickers. I turn the radio and heater off and seems ok. I reach my destination and within 10 mins am back in the car. Only this time. It unlocks, all lights up and I put the key in and turn.

Nothing. Not even a starter attempting to turn over.

Hmm.

Ring the missus who comes over in other car. Whilst waiting. I'm searching this forum. It doesn't appear to be battery but I attempt a jump start. Still nothing.

Read some more but it's dark and hard to find the neg/earthing wiring. So I attach a jump lead to the chassis and to the starter motor casing. Car starts!!

Get it home and try to start again. Nothing!

Get some 16mm earth cable and a couple lugs, crimp and bolt the cable to the starter casing and to the chassis. All working now. But obviously I can't leave it like this.

Where is the earth/neg for the starter? And the one behind the passenger light? Could it be anything else?

Measured the battery [2 months old] reading 12v. Put it down to lights on when trying to start. With engine running its 14v so think alternator is ok.

Was it as simple as a perished earth? Seems perkier on startup now too. Lol.

Has anyone got a picture they can post illustrating exactly where this earth is. I removed the front passenger headlight but couldn't see it anywhere.

Thanks

Quote "Does anybody no where I can get a a2 facial," Quote

I know we all love our A2s but a 'facial' that is a first surely :rolleyes:

Sorry I could not resist. No offence intended.

This should probably have been a new posting otherwise it might not get noticed. I know some members more than likely have suitable spares

Last edited:
Does anybody no where I can get a a2 facial, I'm changing my set it's a double din unit.

Hi Moody, welcome to the A2oc.

I'm guessing you have a double din Symphony radio unit from another Audi model and need the correct size fascia panel for it. If that's the case, have you considered cutting down the existing panel to fit the A2 dash aperture. This is quite a common procedure when upgrading to an RNS-e sat nav which was never made for the A2.

Cheers Spike

Back