stripping the Instrument cluster to fit white dials

Birchall

Dick Chown Award 2016
Firstly, remove the instrument cluster from the vehicle (instructions elsewhere on here)

With the cluster face down on you lap / table, unscrew the two small screws (one either end of the cluster)

Now the part that ideally needs three hands! (but you can do it with two)

You will see the plastic catches around the outside of the edge of the cluster. (I think there are 7 or 8 of them)
You just need to GENTLY ease the clip outwards and while holding it there do the next one, while at the same time pulling upwards on the top part of the cluster to ensure that it doesn't just spring back in again,
I tackled the side with the most clips first, gradually lifting as you release each clip, that seemed the easiest way.
With a bit of fiddling you will be able to release them all and lift off the front of the cluster.
It is easier than I am making out, honest!!!!

Turn the cluster face upwards and now the SCARY bit !!! You have to prise off the pointers!!!!

Be brave, they DO pull off with, no catches or splines etc. but they are VERY tight.

I found the best way to do this is to use two butter knives (or similar and put the edge of one under the centre round part of the pointer and the edge of the other one opposite that, also under the centre of the pointer (Make sure the long pointer itself is between the knives so that when it does spring off you won't bend or break it). Now twist the knives to prise the pointer off (twist the RH one clockwise and the LH one anti clockwise. this exerts equal pressure on the pointer. You really will have to use force and they will eventually just pop loose. (Honest)

Put them to one side and the rest is SIMPLE!!!!

The face comes in two halves, the round part for the rev counter, the other for the speedo and fuel / temp gauges.
Just lift and turn the old ones to line up the small cutouts in the centre hole and lift off.

Put the new faces on, making sure that you line up the cutouts again and also where the two halves join there is a white piece of plastic that they go under and a couple of white pegs (tiny) to help locate them.

Now the important bit - replacing the pointers, you HAVE to get this right or they will read incorrectly.

All pointers use the same method,
Put the pointer on the pin on the relevant instrument but DON'T PUSH THEM FULLY HOME.
Just push them on far enough to have some grip, but not too much.
Now CAREFULLY move the pointer anticlockwise until it lines up with the zero indicator (or first temp on the temp gauge, etc..)
Don't worry if you go past, you can go around again (the pointer MUST be loose enough to allow it to spin when the gauge is at zero, without forcing anything) DON'T push the pointer CLOCKWISE, there is no "stop" clockwise and you could damage the mechanism.
When you have the pointer in the correct position (and there is a resistance from the instrument) push it firmly home.

When all 4 are back on, just refit the front of the dials (ensuring that the two push rods (for the clock etc.) go through the right holes.)
Then press it home and all of the catches will click into place. Then replace the two screws and job done, pop the instrument cluster back in the car and admire your new white dials!!!!!

The dials take around 10 to 15 mins to fit, and removing and replacing the cluster would take around half an hour or so, so around an hour max for the whole job, even quicker the second time around!!!

Sorry no pictures, but it really isn't that complex.

Cheers
Steve B

zero is not the resting point of the pointers. I would honestly try to mark their position, I know mine are wrong. "Easiest" way to do this is to put the clocks back in the car without the "glass", run it to temperature and fill it. Tickover and speed should be set correctly. Mine reads mildly negatively with the large winter tyres and spot-on with the summers...
Marking would probably be best accomplished with marks on the table / surface for the direction of the pointer before prising it off.

- Bret

zero is not the resting point of the pointers. I would honestly try to mark their position, I know mine are wrong. "Easiest" way to do this is to put the clocks back in the car without the "glass", run it to temperature and fill it. Tickover and speed should be set correctly. Mine reads mildly negatively with the large winter tyres and spot-on with the summers...
Marking would probably be best accomplished with marks on the table / surface for the direction of the pointer before prising it off.

- Bret

Hi Bret,

Thanks for that clarification,

Yes, putting the dials in the car and powering them on should enable you to position them correctly before pushing them firmly home.
They do seem to move a little to zero when they are powered up, rather than resting at zero.

Cheers
Steve B

I am looking forward, with great interest, to a photo (or two) of the fitted cluster with your white dials in place! Good work! (I think you might be only the second A2OC member to go this route?) Do you fancy a 6-speed gearbox, too? Free transport, then! Ha-Ha!

David

I am looking forward, with great interest, to a photo (or two) of the fitted cluster with your white dials in place! Good work! (I think you might be only the second A2OC member to go this route?) Do you fancy a 6-speed gearbox, too? Free transport, then! Ha-Ha!

David

I have attached a picture of them fitted into a "test" grotty cluster, but not one with them in the car, (which MIGHT get a re-spray in white too!!!) these dials are going on the "special A2" and that will definitely have a 6 speed box fitted. You haven't got one have you!!!

Steve B

White Dials.jpg

Last edited:
Back