Coolant pouring out - onto near side front engine mount...non-mechanic...

zafarius

Hi and Happy New Year everyone.

Sorry (upfront) for such an amateur post.

A2 2001 1.4TDI SE

I'm a total non-mechanic.

Coolant is leaking out almost as fast as I can top it up. It does not seem to be the radiator and the hoses connecting to the pressure vessel / filler seem to be ok.

Has anyone experienced similar circumstances and can they point me at a potential root cause? We're in the wilds of Scotland for a New Year party and have no Audi dealer near. Wondering if I can at least point a local in the right direction.

Thanks all for putting up with a maintenance Luddite!

Mike
Also own another A2 1.4TDI SE, A1 1.6TDI SE and an A7 3.0 Supercharged :)

Hi and Happy New Year everyone.

Sorry (upfront) for such an amateur post.

A2 2001 1.4TDI SE

I'm a total non-mechanic.

Coolant is leaking out almost as fast as I can top it up. It does not seem to be the radiator and the hoses connecting to the pressure vessel / filler seem to be ok.

Has anyone experienced similar circumstances and can they point me at a potential root cause? We're in the wilds of Scotland for a New Year party and have no Audi dealer near. Wondering if I can at least point a local in the right direction.

Thanks all for putting up with a maintenance Luddite!

Mike
Also own another A2 1.4TDI SE, A1 1.6TDI SE and an A7 3.0 Supercharged :)

Hi Mike,

No need to apologise about any lack of mechanical know-how, that is one of the things this forum is meant to do, to help people who need help!!!!!

Unfortunately we may have to ask you plenty of questions though, to help us establish what could possibly be wrong.
The chances of it being something simple, such as a loose clip etc , are remote and you may well have to get a part from a dealer / eBay etc. but lets see if we can focus on potential causes first.

First question is when you say "nearside" engine mount, do you actually mean that? Is it on the driver's side of the engine bay or the kerbside/passenger side (i.e. where you top up the coolant)

Once we have confirmed that we can start to focus on the exact culprit.

Steve B

Hi - thanks for the quick response Steve - passenger side...there's a big-ish casting / mount thing (good aren't I!) that the coolant seems to be leaking onto (torch visuals) a yes though, side where you top up

M

Bret - sorry for delay in response - iPad only so had to work out how to take pic, edit and add...here is a rather basic pic

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    194.6 KB · Views: 342
Possibly coolant temp sensor "O" ring failure, or the clip that hold the sensor in place has failed.

If it is this, then buy an OE sensor complete with "O" ring and new clip, as some pattern parts either don't work well or the "O" ring tends to be a fraction too large.

Unusual for this to fail though, unless it's recently been changed, so you may want to check to pipework.

I'd have thought any local garage would be able to locate the issue and make a temporary repair.

Cheers

Jeff

Thanks Jeff - this is what I was looking for...know I'm going to have to go to a garage but didn't want to be talked into unlikely resolutions !

After getting a decent torch into the engine area - coolant is pouring out from the edge of the side of the engine - can't tell whether from a pipe, something connected to the engine block or the engine block itself.

It doesn't look like the head...far down from that.

Does this help at all?

Doesn't look like the sensor...but then I could be very wrong about interpreting what I'm actually looking at.

Cheers

This may also help any mechanic not used to the A2.

In the PDF attached, the sensor I mentioned above is item No. 21 and it's part No. is 059 919 501 A
The O ring is item No.5 and the clip is item No.22

If the issue is the sensor or O ring, then the mechanic must make sure the old O ring is removed from the housing, otherwise the new sensor will not locate.

I hope this helps.

Jeff

Attachments

• Coolant Circuit.pdf
    54.5 KB · Views: 585
After getting a decent torch into the engine area - coolant is pouring out from the edge of the side of the engine - can't tell whether from a pipe, something connected to the engine block or the engine block itself.

It doesn't look like the head...far down from that.

Does this help at all?

Doesn't look like the sensor...but then I could be very wrong about interpreting what I'm actually looking at.

Cheers

Now you seem to have pinned it down to that area could you post a picture of that area so we can try a figure out likely culprits?

Or use the PDF just attached by Jeff to see if it is possible to locate the exact part, although it is starting to look like the sensor sealing ring / clip.

Cheers
Steve B

Last edited:
Steve, Bret and Jeff

Thanks for your help. After much exploration I've isolated the part. It's the bottom hose (which is paired in the middle to another hose).

It's leaking right before the junction the the back/passenger side of the engine - guess is near the water pump or some part that looks like a pump or motor unit.

If any of you are able to identify the hose/part number that would be great, but I think I can now describe it to the parts people at a dealership (even after a few New Years Eve drinkies!) [although now I'll have to wait until the New Year!]

Thanks again for your help so rapidly.

Mike

Steve / Jeff, it's part #11

Thanks so much for this

Mike

unfortunately if they are on tight then it is likely to be a split in the rubber.

I have seen hose repair emergency kits, but they are not very good and only designed to be a temporary last resort.

So it looks like you need to order these hoses (or the one that is split) and have them delivered.

A local garage may be able to bodge something together temporarily for you.

Steve B

Sorry we couldn't help a lot.

Mike,

The price for pipework item #11 is just over £32 inc. VAT from a dealer.

As Steve say's, if you find a decent local garage they may be able to perfom a temporary repair until the new pipework arrives.

Cheers

Jeff

Thanks guys

Hertz rental for return journey for the A2 folks, car to be fixed in situ and return journey to collect.

Thanks for all your help - Happy New Year :)

Back