Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Guide to the A2's Boot and Rear Seats

A Guide to the A2's Boot and Rear Seats

Amongst its many virtues, the A2's rear cabin space is hugely flexible. The A2 was available with two rear seating arrangements:

• The 4-seater version of the A2 only has two rear seats, but they can be removed individually, meaning the car's either a 2-seater, a 3-seater or a 4-seater. In 3-seater mode, you get an L-shaped boot. The rear seats are the same width as the front seats, meaning two adults can sit in the back of the car in relative comfort. Each seat has a set of ISOfix points, allowing for two child seats to be fitted. A sole adult can easily remove the rear seats.
    • The 5-seater version has what's known as the rear bench seat. The bench is a single piece that seats 3 people. It can only be removed in its entirety, making the car either a 2-seater or a 5-seater, but no intermediate arrangements are possible. Whilst a 'benchie' A2 has the benefit of being able to seat 5 people, that is the only advantage. The MPV-like flexibility of the 4-seater version is lost. The positioning of the seatbelt buckles along the bench means that the seats are narrower and thus less comfortable for adults than the split rears, even when only seating two people. The bench's ISOfix points allow only one child seat to be fitted, either in the centre or to the left. The bench weighs 3kg more than the combined weight of the split seats, meaning two adults are needed to remove it from the car.

The rear seating arrangement cannot be swapped between 4-seater and 5-seater A2s. So, if you buy a 4-seater A2, you cannot install a rear bench, and vice versa.
    Last edited by timmus; 19-01-2014 at 01:38 PM.
    A2 Retrofitting & Upgrade Service Offered: Cruise Control, DIS, Bose, Rear Electric Windows, Multifunction Steering Wheel, Heated Seats, Auto-Dimming Mirror, Bluetooth, Rear Speakers, Double-DIN Dash, RNS-E, Front Fog Lights, Lumbar Support, Komfortblinker, Convenience Unit Replacement, Key Programming, and much more...

2. 4 users that liked this post:

bm_sthlm (19-01-2014), GuruX (20-01-2014), sailesh (20-01-2014), simufly (19-01-2014)

4-Seater with Split Rears

Independently of each other, each rear seat can either be upright, folded, stowed or removed. When the rear seats are folded, the false floor allows the boot to have a single, continuous flat surface. When the rear seats are upright, the false floor acts as a partition, allowing more efficient use of the available boot space. Each seat can be stowed against the back of the equivalent front seat or everything can be removed to create a 2-seater mini-van, again with a continuous flat surface.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1544.jpg 
Views:	619 
Size:	943.5 KB 
ID:	14431   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1545.jpg 
Views:	776 
Size:	935.6 KB 
ID:	14430   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1551.jpg 
Views:	585 
Size:	951.6 KB 
ID:	14428   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1548.jpg 
Views:	597 
Size:	951.6 KB 
ID:	14429   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1553.jpg 
Views:	594 
Size:	945.3 KB 
ID:	14427  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1555.jpg 
Views:	1089 
Size:	948.9 KB 
ID:	14426   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1560.jpg 
Views:	630 
Size:	885.0 KB 
ID:	14432  
    Last edited by timmus; 19-01-2014 at 11:57 AM.
    A2 Retrofitting & Upgrade Service Offered: Cruise Control, DIS, Bose, Rear Electric Windows, Multifunction Steering Wheel, Heated Seats, Auto-Dimming Mirror, Bluetooth, Rear Speakers, Double-DIN Dash, RNS-E, Front Fog Lights, Lumbar Support, Komfortblinker, Convenience Unit Replacement, Key Programming, and much more...

5-Seater with Bench

The bench operates exactly like a large version of a single split rear: it can either be upright, folded, stowed or removed. When the bench seat is folded, the false floor allows the boot to have a single, continuous flat surface. When the bench is upright, the false floor acts as a partition, allowing more efficient use of the available boot space. The bench can be stowed against the back of the front seats, allowing for a large boot but maintaining the possibility to seat rear passengers, or it can be removed entirely to create a 2-seater mini-van, again with a continuous flat floor.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1053 Red.jpg 
Views:	586 
Size:	657.5 KB 
ID:	14437   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1056 Red.jpg 
Views:	355 
Size:	621.3 KB 
ID:	14436   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1066 Red.jpg 
Views:	347 
Size:	632.1 KB 
ID:	14435   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1067 Red.jpg 
Views:	4365 
Size:	661.0 KB 
ID:	14434   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1083 Red.jpg 
Views:	346 
Size:	692.2 KB 
ID:	14438  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1075 Red.jpg 
Views:	461 
Size:	677.8 KB 
ID:	14433  
    Last edited by timmus; 19-01-2014 at 02:46 PM.

Solving Problems

Due to improper use, the seat locking mechanisms can sometimes become problematic. The Ultimate 'My Rear Seats Don't Work' Thread is here to help: http://www.a2oc.net/forum/showthread.php?16655
    Last edited by timmus; 19-01-2014 at 12:06 PM.

A definite candidate for a "sticky" !!!

Very clear, very balanced and hugely useful.

I was going to step in and warn people about the weight of the rear bench and how awkward it is to get in and out, but you covered that too.
    I can manage it by myself, but it is not a pleasant task! taking the seats out of a 4 seater is very easy.

Cheers
    Steve B

Thanks Steve!

The idea for the thread was prompted by a new member asking about how easily a mountain bike can be squeezed into the back of an A2. Newbies also frequently ask about the pros and cons of the two different seating arrangements and whether it's possible to interchange the bench and split rears. Having already photographed both arrangements, I figured I'd try to unify all the information.

Similarly, I am able to remove a rear bench on my own, but my back hates me for it and the risk of marking/damaging part of the interior is increased, so I generally ask for a helping hand.
    As you say, getting the split rears in and out is a doddle.

Cheers,

Tom
    Last edited by timmus; 19-01-2014 at 07:11 PM.

Hi Tom. A useful and clearly presented guide.

I haven't a picture of a mountain bike in an A2 but here's one I took of a large armchair:

http://www.a2oc.net/forum/showthread.php?6359-Tardis
    Regards,
    Alan
    Fuel Consumption for 1.4 TDi 75 SE: <sorry deleted - will try to reinstate>
    Mostly A(T), A or B roads.
    Was 62.5 mpg with Pilot Primacy Michelins 185/50/16 18V
    Then 58 mpg with Pirrelli P6000 Powergy but they are much quieter.
    Next 62 mpg after 5th gear change to 0.65 (Skipton) & remap of +20 bhp (Stealth) on a 4,000 mile European trip.
    Now Toyo Proxes T1R - also quiet.
    Changed matt black slatted grill for the glossy black smooth grill.

jp.oog Guest
    I had no idea that the interior combos varied so much. My car is black but all the seat, door cards, parcel shelf and all carpeted areas

Quote Originally Posted by jp.oog View Post
    I had no idea that the interior combos varied so much. My car is black but all the seat, door cards, parcel shelf and all carpeted areas
    Yes, it was possible to order a Platinum interior with Soul Black seats or a Soul Black interior with Platinum seats, alongside all the other combinations of course. The 2002 car used to demonstrate the bench seat in the photos above has the latter of these combinations.
    To further complicate matters, from 2004 it was possible to order the Platinum interior with a Soul Black boot area. The 2005 car used to demonstrate the split seats above has this combination.

Cheers,

Tom
    Last edited by timmus; 20-01-2014 at 08:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by timmus View Post
    Amongst its many virtues, the A2's rear cabin space is hugely flexible. The A2 was available with two rear seating arrangements:

• The 4-seater version of the A2 only has two rear seats, but they can be removed individually, meaning the car's either a 2-seater, a 3-seater or a 4-seater. In 3-seater mode, you get an L-shaped boot. The rear seats are the same width as the front seats, meaning two adults can sit in the back of the car in relative comfort. Each seat has a set of ISOfix points, allowing for two child seats to be fitted. A sole adult can easily remove the rear seats.
    • The 5-seater version has what's known as the rear bench seat. The bench is a single piece that seats 3 people. It can only be removed in its entirety, making the car either a 2-seater or a 5-seater, but no intermediate arrangements are possible. Whilst a 'benchie' A2 has the benefit of being able to seat 5 people, that is the only advantage. The MPV-like flexibility of the 4-seater version is lost. The positioning of the seatbelt buckles along the bench means that the seats are narrower and thus less comfortable for adults than the split rears, even when only seating two people. The bench's ISOfix points allow only one child seat to be fitted, either in the centre or to the left. The bench weighs 3kg more than the combined weight of the split seats, meaning two adults are needed to remove it from the car.

The rear seating arrangement cannot be swapped between 4-seater and 5-seater A2s. So, if you buy a 4-seater A2, you cannot install a rear bench, and vice versa.
    Hi Timmus
    Very informative, good post.
    I have just bought a 4 seat model, but Ideally I would like a 5 seat model.
    You say a swap over is not possible, however when I look at the rear seats out photos, It seems that only the latch attachments at the front of the rear seats are different, Could these not be shifted and allow a 4 seater be turned into a 5 seater?, or would there be seat belt anchorage problems?. Cheers