Seatbelt slow to retract

I want to have a look at the seatbelt (driver's side) on my oil burner.

The seatbelt is slow to retract (was picked up as an advisory at last MOT) and is getting steadily worse. Any tips for trim removal. That side has the fuel flap button and interior motion sensor button so I don't want to be gung-ho and start pulling of fascia trim. Not sure how much maintenance or remedial action I can take anyone, but it's got to be worth a look.

Any tips regards the mechanism - can it be greased?

Last edited:
There is also the pre-tensioner to worry about. Is it necessary to disconnect the battery "just in case"?
I guess the pre-tensioner is not much fun if it were triggered.

I think some PTFE spray (Teflon) may help the mechanism and should have no effect on the belt or plastic parts.

John

Hi,

I had that same problem on my wife's A2 and I treated it very seriously.

It is not just a nuisance it is downright dangerous.

If you lean forward and then settle back, if the tension has not returned then you could be thrown must further forward and harder than you should be.

So if this is happening please sort it as soon as possible, it really is a safety issue more than a minor nuisance.

Steve B

Tried to spray it on the old tdi but soon went back to how it was,
folk are right, its a very important safety item, get it replaced !
I think I paid £80 for a new one from a auto parts shop. Takes 15mins to fit.

It's definitely on the cards for this weekend chaps, weather permitting. Repaired my brother's MG ZF last weekend (broken heater in convertible) not a good combo and that was in light snow!

Update to this. Over the last couple of weekends I used silicone spray onto the seatbelt mechanism. I also cleaned the seatbelt with a damp cloth. Things have improved, but not to the point I have any confidence in it. Last weekend I stripped out both seat-belts as passenger side is now playing up. I disconnected the battery first. On closer inspection there is virtually no maintenance that can be done to the part. The pre-tensioner is integral. Looks like the internal recoil spring is just worn out, hence poor return tension. Unfortunately the Audi part is £155 each, but as it's an integral safety item, not sure I've any other choice.

Thought briefly about a breaker yard, but no idea how the part has been stored, and it could be frankly just as bad. Ebay is a no-go, as you've no guarantee it hasn't come from an accident damaged car. Going to bite the bullet on this one and order tomorrow. Can't put a price on safety.

Fitted new front seat-belts a couple of months back, better safe than sorry.

After chasing Audi HQ for their response, their standard letter arrived yesterday. They were apologetic but won't accept liability given the age of the car, the mileage and the fact it's been serviced independently, in other words by myself.

Thank you Audi.

Last edited:
Fitted new front seat-belts a couple of months back, better safe than sorry.

After chasing Audi HQ for their response, their standard letter arrived yesterday. They were apologetic but won't accept liability given the age of the car, the mileage and the fact it's been serviced independently, in other words by myself.

Thank you Audi.

Yes, a predictable response but it was worth a try. I'm not sure if every manufacturer have similar policy but I've found VAG to place great import on customer loyalty when assessing all 'out of warranty' claims and in my experience if you can demonstrate that you are a repeat customer and have had repair work done within the group then they'll make a contribution ( give you some of your money back!!) -

You've got/had a few Audis - has no work been done within the dealer network that you could quote or have you bought a car from them? I'd maybe try again if it's a yes to any or all of those questions.

Yes, a predictable response but it was worth a try. I'm not sure if every manufacturer have similar policy but I've found VAG to place great import on customer loyalty when assessing all 'out of warranty' claims and in my experience if you can demonstrate that you are a repeat customer and have had repair work done within the group then they'll make a contribution ( give you some of your money back!!) -

You've got/had a few Audis - has no work been done within the dealer network that you could quote or have you bought a car from them? I'd maybe try again if it's a yes to any or all of those questions.

Been buying genuine parts for as long as I can remember with the odd independent purchase such a Brembo brakes, etc. Counts for nothing really. Even the parts guys know me and give me 10% off. :)

Really questioning Audi ownership these days. I thought at least they would have wanted to look at the parts for closer inspection. Not sure how you can misuse seatbelts, but I could understand it if it was a works vehicle, taxi, etc. I don't think the mileage is high given there are higher-mile cars on the forum.

Not used the car for a couple of weeks and when I did, found the seatbelt was slow to retract. Only thing of note was that the webbing seemed quite damp. It was a hot day and after a couple of hours driving, the belt felt quite dry, and the good bit, it retracted as normal. So the morale of the story is.........

If you have problems with the belt, fully extend it and if damp, lock it off and let it dry naturally or use a hair dryer if needed. The silicon spray as suggested above may improve things further but I'd always recommend ensuring the belt is completely dry first.

Cheers Spike

if it has frayed a little on the edges you can shave that and it will retract as normal. if however there is a cut and its frayed just get a new one seens as though its meant to save your life. mine just seemed to have fluff on the edges. a quick shave it i could close my door instead of waiting or helping the belt to retract every time i got out.

Back