OEM Bose

russell22dc

Hi guys and girls.

I would like to install the OEM bose stereo system into my A2. If i can find an entire system for sale, would it include the head unit or would my SymphonyII head unit work with it ?

Any help, or anyone selling a bose system, would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
Russell

Hi,

You keep your Symphony II head unit.

For Bose you change the speakers, Tweeters sub and amp. Fit according wiring and the all important bose pin. The pin goes into the head unit and sets the head unit for bose.

Timus is the guy to speak to. He has retro fitted more bose systems than anyone else.

Cheers

David

Timmus is the guy to speak to.

Thanks for the vote of confidence, David. :)

I would like to install the OEM bose stereo system into my A2. If i can find an entire system for sale, would it include the head unit or would my SymphonyII head unit work with it ?

Any help, or anyone selling a bose system, would be greatly appreciated.

As David says, you keep your existing head unit. It needs to be coded differently and needs to have some changes made to the wiring at the back.

The complete kit is comprised of a sub, amp, amp bracket, 4x midrange drivers, 4x tweeters, alternate toolkit holder, loom, Bose pin and all necessary fixings. You've then got alternate Bose speaker grilles, though they're obviously just a cosmetic matter. You can see a photo of a complete system here: http://www.a2oc.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=12052&d=1366985315

Getting your hands on a complete system is difficult, though it's happened enough for me to have lost track of the number of retrofits I've done, so don't give up hope.
The complexity of the retrofit is first determined by whether you've already got rear speakers or not. If you don't, it's without doubt one of the most complex and involved retrofits of any of the optional extras. Even if you do currently have rear speakers, the process is still quite involved. You'll have to know how to remove and refit a lot of the interior, have a general familiarity with the wiring runs as well as the backs of the fuse box and head unit, and have access to VCDS and a set of terminal extraction tools.

You can see a few photos of an A2 undergoing a Bose retrofit here:
http://www.a2oc.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=10674&d=1349106306
http://www.a2oc.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=10680&d=1349107711
http://www.a2oc.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=10679&d=1349106343
http://www.a2oc.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=10683&d=1349109823
http://www.a2oc.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=10678&d=1349106335

Cheers,

Tom

Last edited:
The photos of the strip down are quite an eye opener aren't they.

No doubt. In this case, the strip-down was a little further than necessary as I was doing other work at the same time, but it demonstrates the need for familiarity with the interior.

Tom

I've never heard BOSE, yet I soooo need it in my life.

The difference is sometimes not easy to spot, mainly because the standard set up is really quite good.

BUT, the difference is certainly worth it and at higher volumes in particular it is MUCH better.

So if you like your music volume low to medium you might as well stick with the standard set up, but if you REALLY like your music at medium to high, especially with rich kicking bass, then BOSE rocks !!!!

Steve B

I believe you're right Steve.

I'd probably be let down by it, in all honesty. Still doesn't stop me wanting it one bit!

I believe you're right Steve.

I'd probably be let down by it, in all honesty. Still doesn't stop me wanting it one bit!

It really is one of those "must have" options.
But I don't think you would be disappointed it really is top notch.

I am VERY lucky to have found a full set and someone who will fit it and at a very fair price. (Thank you Tom. )

Steve B

Bose was one of the earlier mods I did to my car, although mine is more of a half-Bose hybrid as I didn't swap the OEM Blaupunkt speakers for the Bose-tuned ones. I also don't have the Bose pin enabled - I did for a while (primarily to get "Bose" splash-screen enabled on my original Chorus head unit), but with the hybrid set-up, it didn't produce satisfying results (I lost all my bass!), so I deleted it.

I already had rear speakers, but I completely echo Tom's comments from earlier - it's a big undertaking. Took me an entire day and I broke a few trim clips on the way!

The biggest problem is sourcing the parts - I've not seen a Bose amp for sale on Ebay for several years now, but Tom seems to be doing a good job of sourcing complete sets of parts for install kits.

I guess we're all lucky that the standard set up with rear speakers is so good, without BOSE.

All I'd heard from the net about high end Audis with BOSE, was:

"No highs, no lows, must be the BOSE".

Maybe they expect more again for their ££££££

That's a fairly common industry meme about Bose. I wouldn't touch their consumer audio kit with a long pole, and in my previous-life experience of gigging in bands, a venue that had a Bose PA system wouldn't automatically mean the PA would be any better than the usual muddy ear-bleeding guff, just had a pretty logo on it!

There's no doubt that the Bose kit represents an improvement over the standard-level kit in the A2 and is well worth having, but it'll never transform the A2's audio into a concert-hall experience.

bose pin

which pin is the bose pin?
does connecting this pin change the outputs of the head unit or is something else required

i have intalled the sub, speakers, and amp but just not this pin

Hi,

You keep your Symphony II head unit.

For Bose you change the speakers, Tweeters sub and amp. Fit according wiring and the all important bose pin. The pin goes into the head unit and sets the head unit for bose.

Timus is the guy to speak to. He has retro fitted more bose systems than anyone else.

Cheers

David

which pin is the bose pin?
does connecting this pin change the outputs of the head unit or is something else required

i have intalled the sub, speakers, and amp but just not this pin

Yes, the head unit's output is changed to match the amp's inputs. A pin known as 'the Bose pin' needs to be connected to earth. The head unit also needs to be coded such that there's a 2 in position 3; so XX2XX.

Cheers,

Tom

Yes, the head unit's output is changed to match the amp's inputs. A pin known as 'the Bose pin' needs to be connected to earth. The head unit also needs to be coded such that there's a 2 in position 3; so XX2XX.

Cheers,

Tom

thanks, which pin is it? could you post a picture?
what tool do i need to code the head unit to xx2xx

thanks, which pin is it? could you post a picture?
what tool do i need to code the head unit to xx2xx

I'm at work until 8:30 tonight and only have my phone to access this forum, so unfortunately I'm not able to post a picture.
You'll need to add a pin to the 8-pin connector behind the stereo; the one that carries power to the head unit. This added pin will need to be tied to earth. I can't remember the pin number off the top of my head, but the sticker on the head unit will tell you.
In order to change the head unit's coding, you'll need to use VCDS software on a laptop along with the appropriate interface cable.

Allegedly I'm "the King of Bose". Whilst I'm not sure about the title, I can't deny that I know the system inside-out and back-to-front. So, if you'd like to bring your car to Lancaster, I can make the necessary software changes, check the wiring, add the Bose pin, etc.

Cheers,

Tom

thanks Tom

your offer is very kind, but your quite far away

i will see if the chaps at my work have the vcds tool first

Back