Door, window, tailgate problems

macandy0

Hello everyone, I have a 2001 TDI which I have owned for about 20 months. Fairly recently I have encountered some problems which it seems are not unknown. Key fob no longer unlocks the car doors or tailgate, sometimes the rear doors don't open at all, ditto tailgate, electric windows and fuel filler flap. The ECU or as it seems some call it the CCU, located under the driver's seat ( left hand drive) often makes a clicking noise which can go on for hours. If we don't drive the car for some days, the battery goes flat. Last time this was within five days.The car has done around 90'000 mile, the battery could be the original. Is the ECU/CCU at fault and needs replacing, or can it be resuscitated or is it some other issue. Could a weak battery be the problem? Would appreciate any advice which doesn't break the bank, thanks

I certainly had problems with mine which I believe were due to an aged battery. If the voltage drops (in my case caused by winding down all the windows) then the units go out of sync.
Cant say for you whether the battery is the cause, or whether something else is causing drain on the battery.

first replace the battery then replace the CCU, talk to Lau to get it fixed.

ECU / MSG = Motorsteuergerät - Engine control unit
CCU / KSG = Komfortsteuergerät - comfort control unit (locking, windows, alarm etc.)

they are not the same box, they are not the same thing and they definitely don't control the same parts.

- Bret

Hi,#

I would say that this can only be the CCU.

A bettery with such a low charge as to affect the door locks would not have enough power to start the car and I bet that these symptoms are present even with the car running.

So unless you have problems with the battery going flat I would not spend close on £100 on this problem.

I would suggest that you just find a local A2 owner and swap the CCCU (it in not an ECU, it is the Central Convenience Control Unit - CCCU or CCU as some people call it).

You just need to unplug your and plug in the other one. The key forb won't work because they would need to be paired, but it should help to judge if it has improved any of the issues.

Sorry to disagree with the other advice it is just that I have had similar problems on several A2s and the sympotoms are for a duff CCCU.

As I say, if the battery was the problem then you would not be able to start the car, and if it did start then everything would work as it should.

I would bet that the "clicking" you are hearing is the alarm relay going off and so flattening the battery (I would also bet that someone has silenced the alarm beeper in the past or you would be hearing that)

One final thing that MAY help diagnose the problem. If you use the key to lock and unlock the car, does the relay click like crazy if you hold the key in the lock or unlock position on the door? If it does then your CCCU is DUFF.

Steve B

Thanks for the feedback,
I agree that if you can start the car, and I still have these problems, it's probably not the battery. I have previously disconnected the battery and the CCU and things worked again for a while but not very long. I tried the idea with the key in the lock but it makes no difference to the clicking from the CCU, it continues on it's rhythmic way. It does sound like a relay. I'm sure this is what's draining the battery. Where do I find Lau?

Andrew

Thanks for the feedback,
I agree that if you can start the car, and I still have these problems, it's probably not the battery. I have previously disconnected the battery and the CCU and things worked again for a while but not very long. I tried the idea with the key in the lock but it makes no difference to the clicking from the CCU, it continues on it's rhythmic way. It does sound like a relay. I'm sure this is what's draining the battery. Where do I find Lau?

Andrew

Hi,

I would suggest that you try to find a secondhand CCCU of the same part number (on top of the CCU)

There are normally a few on eBay and Wassap (on here) sometimes has some/

But you will need to have the keys paired to the replacement CCCU whatever happens. You need someone with a VCDS cable to do this for you. It might have to be a dealer in your location.

The car will drive and work OK but the central locking won't work until the keys have been paired again.

Steve B

hi,

please check my thread regarding a similar problem before spending over £200 on a new ccu unit or a repair. my problem ended up being a loose cable plug inside the door.

here is my thread and what i did.... effing peeved off lol

http://www.a2oc.net/forum/showthread.php?17332-F*-ing-Peeved-Off!!!!&highlight=door

this helped my problem, so hopefully it will fix yours :)

cheers cammy

Well worth checking the basics first as Cammy says, but in this case if the tailgate is also being affected chances are that it is a different problem.

But it would be great if you could find a simple and cheap cause!

Steve B

Back