Soft Touch Butttons - Solved .....very nearly.

Richardu

A2OC Donor
Hi folks,

I have some exciting news for you all :D

I've been using a product called SUGRU to make all sorts of gadgets for my mountain biking exploits - esp. lights, switches etc.

The stuff very much like soft modelling clay (but synthetic) and you can mould, smooth and fashion just about anything with it.

I've just applied a thin film of this over the worn bits, just waiting for it to set (sets like rubber/hard silicon). I then hope to use a modelling knife to remove a tiny line (the minus sign on the temp button) to allow light to shine through.
You can even stencil with the stuff - loads of examples on their web site.

Photos to follow........................

So all looking good.

I'll upload a couple of pics of the repair, and another of a fix for the fuel cap button that the previous owner hadn't bothered to fix - essentially, the thing would not click back in place and would work loose, so I fashioned a little soft rubber coul that morphed with the switch - can't notice unless directed to it.

All will be revealed, the stuff comes right off the shelf, no need to mix or faff just shape, sculpt and forget.

I am - totally sadly - looking forward to seeing the results of this..
Cheers,
Hedge

I've just applied a thin film of this over the worn bits, just waiting for it to set
Interesting .... just how have you applied the coating, please? I would be interested in obtaining a smooth, uniform layer, resembling a sprayed-on surface .... And durability? The original, Audi "soft-touch" didn't prove very long-lasting? Anyway, thank you for sharing this intriguing development!

David

The hardest thing of all is getting the icons correct, I cannot see a way to get them looking good enough.

Cutting out a cross or a minus sign might JUST be ok but the others are going to look a bit Naff!

To me, you either live with them or sticker them, and I am waiting until some decent stickers appear! (the stickers I have seen are worse than the worn buttins!)

Audi should be helping by sourcing the replacement buttons!!! But good luck with that!

Steve B

I bought some stickers off German eBay for my Chorus head unit and they look as good as the standard button. Only if you look very carefully can you see the edge of the sticker. The light shines through them too.

Hi all,

Much apologies for such a delay. I don't really have an excuse, other than getting my T4 ready for summer, work & children. I have delayed a little due to aspects highlighted above, such as how to cut out the shapes. No, I have seen sugru used through a stencil see the ideas on this page...

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=s...eV7AacjIHYBA&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAQ&biw=1366&bih=622

..I think I should have gone with the stencil idea before applying the sugru .
Anyway, I promise to start with the ' - ' temp icon bit tomorrow and will upload the result of that.
Cheers.

Folks, please forgive my delay yet again - working back to back at the mo + DIYing a concrete fence (entire run) whilst refurbing some RS4s (more on that later tonight ....look out for new thread).

Ok, I very confident that I've solved this problem; I can tell because I'm getting a tingling in my testicles :eek:.................but it's not via the initial method I started with!

Way back before PC's begun to linearise our thinking I used to construct presentations (boards etc) using stencil lettering that came on A4 sheets, in a wide variety of fonts and sizes – we’re talking late 80’s.

Well, my epiphany happened tonight whilst applying the first layer of primer ; simply, get hold of a set of these letters and use them in a masking role – sometimes things really are that simple.

It’s been SO long since I’ve used anything like this I had completely forgotten they existed – I hope they are still in production.
Once I’ve completed my fence and alloy refurb I’ll be all over this like a tramp on chips…..unless someone else would like to beat me too it.
I’m very confident this will prove to be sound soln.
Time frame, at least a month or two :(

Alu - those were/are the exact product of which I speak! I simply can not see how this method will fail, unless the transfers react to the paint or the paint is applied too thickly?
I'm +vely itching with excitement.....has to work.

Cut vinyl can be used as a mask - much easier than Letraset assuming it's still available! The problem is the tiny size and getting a clean edge from such a small mask.

I realise this thread has not been updated for some time, but having just got a car with worn buttons I am interested in all options.

Having read through it appears to me that making an accurate copy of the symbols and then getting them laser cut on stickable transfer would help mask the bits needing to be left then plastic coat the controls, possibly in situ and seal them.

Having spent many years with Letraset and and scalpel hopefully I can do a relatively accurate job.

Any other hints or tips welcome of course.
I did look at getting those stickers but noticed the symbols were not right for the car and from the comments are not an ideal situation.

Back