Taa taa taa taa sound .

war1ord

Hi not like a issue but I experience that on my 1.4 petrol , when i start engine from cold , I hear that taa taa taa taa sound , sound later on get faded and somehow disapear later , but just courious what is it ?
I read that quiet normal but just not sure?

I'm probably the least technical regular on here but if I cast my mind back to days of owning petrol cars I'd say your description sounds like hydraulic tappets which can be noisy when cold or faulty. Sure an expert voice will either confirm or blow that theory out the park.:eek:

if I'm right then as you'd hoped it's perfectly normal.

I'm probably the least technical regular on here but if I cast my mind back to days of owning petrol cars I'd say your description sounds like hydraulic tappets which can be noisy when cold or faulty. Sure an expert voice will either confirm or blow that theory out the park.:eek:

if I'm right then as you'd hoped it's perfectly normal.

Hi Murdo,

you may well be right.

The 1.4 is known for noisy tappets (so named because that is what they do, they "tap")

They use oil to act as a compression that lifts the valves. As they wear they will allow the oil to seep away after the car has sat for a while.
It is not really affected by heat or cold, it is just that a cold engine has been sitting there for a while and so the oil has leaked out of the tappet.

they are designed to "pump up" as oil pressure forces oil into them. So this does take a few seconds to do this.

Tappets in good condition don't allow much leakage, worn tappets will often empty quite quickly.

It is not necessarily a major problem but the sound can be a little scary if you don't know what it is.

Ideally it should be fixed, but in reality many are lefy and do several 10s of thousands of miles with no symptoms (apart from the tapping)

So if it sound a little bit like a typewriter (remember them) or a sewing machine etc. then it is worn tappets and so not a major concern.

Steve B

I also own a 1.4 Petrol and I know what sound you mean. Mine does the same. Just confirming what Birchall is saying.

Thanks for info , in case of repair is it costly to fix it ?? For sure my future service gonna be if possible with Sarge , and hope all gonna be look after.

Thanks for info , in case of repair is it costly to fix it ?? For sure my future service gonna be if possible with Sarge , and hope all gonna be look after.

Hi
It is a very expensive job. There see 16 tappets to replace and the parts will probably cost you over £200 (including a Cambelt kit etc). A lot if labour too.
Unless it is extremely noisy or it is affecting the running of the car (unlikely) it is probably best left alone.

Steve B

May I suggest that you check the engine oil level as well. Also, do you know when last the car was serviced?

blue skies
tony

Car was serviced in november with oil change , i am not really worried with that just not use to it yet , we got it now for less then 1,5 month.

Car was serviced in november with oil change , i am not really worried with that just not use to it yet , we got it now for less then 1,5 month.

Most people don't notice it, or get used to it very quickly.

If yours is very noticeable then you might be better off doing them, but it is a lot of expense if it is just a tapping noise while the oil is starting to circulate.

Steve B

Found this ancient article in the Nov 1991 VW Audi Car magazine (forerunner to Audi Driver) Not sure how much carries over to our cars but it may be of interest.

Cheers Spike

Attachments

• tappets1150.jpg
    tappets1150.jpg
    577.7 KB · Views: 375
  • tappets2146.jpg
    tappets2146.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 338
  • tappets3147.jpg
    tappets3147.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 333
  • tappets4148.jpg
    tappets4148.jpg
    970.1 KB · Views: 345
Yeah, that article was interesting, Spike!
Have anyone tried one of these oil detergent mixes? Easi Engine Flush is the one in the article. Is it worth doing?

Yeah, that article was interesting, Spike!
Have anyone tried one of these oil detergent mixes? Easi Engine Flush is the one in the article. Is it worth doing?

Yes, it is worth doing because it MIGHT help a little and it won't do any harm.

But it won't completely silence a noisy tappet, it might help quieten them depending on why they are noisy (i.e. is it due to muck or wear?)

So why not give it a try it will help clean some deposits in your engine whatever happens.

Steve B

Back