S1

That does look good. Glad it's coming with a manual 'box too, but imagine what a weapon that thing would be if DSG was an option!

It does look good, it was always hinted that the quatro £45k version would be watered down to an s version. The price looks good though. The top gear page I read didn't quote the price.
I do like the A1 but prefer the 2 door version as I foundthe 4 door to crampt in entering and leaving the cabin. Still not as well made inside as an A2 though with its exposed seat runners and poor carpeting. Lets see if we get any at the audi shows this year. Mikee

Last edited:
I do like the A1 but prefer the 2 door version as I foundthe 4 door to crampt in entering and leaving the cabin. Still not as well made inside as an A2 though with its exposed seat runners and poor carpeting. Lets see if we get any at the audi shows this year. Mikee

Hi,

the 2 door A1 is a nightmare to get into and out of and it is very claustrophobic in the back. If they weren't that bad I would probably hung on to mine, but as it is they are HALF the car that the A2 is.

Anyone contemplating an A1 please check out the back seats.

They are a GREAT car of course and well worthy of the Audi badge but to me they lack that little bit of character etc.

Steve B

I have had two A1 2 doors and as Steve said, they are a bit if a nightmare, unless you really only drive with a front seat passenger.

We have a daughter and she liked the four door courtesy A1 we had much better and so did myself and the wife.

I do like the 2 doors looks, but i would have to go for a four door if i did ever go for another one (S1 Sportback)

The A1's poor carpets are to reduce weight, but yes i also prefer the A2.

I thought I`d add my 2 pence worth...........

I was very underwhelmed after driving the S1 if im honest!! But I am a very biased A2 owner.

I had the opportunity to drive one of these a few weeks ago(in anger) and thought I would share my opinion.....
Huge money for what it is IMHO and I was pretty disappointed with the genral quality inside the cabin and the sheer amount of plastic inside the engine bay (also they have a serious recall issue with the exhaust manifold melting the plastic clutch pipe!) and also the general lack of a "tidy" and well thought out engine bay slightly annoyed me......it really looks like its just been thrown in there. Plus sadly no option apart from the manual gearbox due to the increase in weight and the addition of the rear diff really cuts down on the amount of luggage space in the rear :( .......effectivity at the end of the day your paying good money just for an engine and drive train and a load of parts shared with the Q3

But to be fair it is after all that a very rapid/put a smile on your face and twinge in the trousers car :) ................unfortunately, personally I couldn't justify the extra running costs/lack of practically compared to my A2 unless I suddenly won the lottery!!

Just noticed this and have to agree with above, its a quick little motor, but my only comparison in small and fast is the Corsa VXR and this was no match in terms of fun, and if I'm honest the corsa plastic didnt feel that much worse. Interior is no match for BMW, but I guess the 1 series is a bigger car, but interior is far superior to the S1.

My kids hated it, they are 10 and said the back felt more cramped than the Corsa VXR, and given the price tag I could never justify the 30% more over the cost of comparable hot hatches.

I think the S1 badge is actually out of place on this car, its a very poor interpretation of an 'S' car.

Back