Winters gone

Hooley

A2OC Donor
Winter tyres were swapped earlier this week. I bet it snows now.

First observations:
Less ride quality. Going from 15 inch winters to 16 inch summers.
Much, much better handling.

If ride has gone down 10-15%, handling has gone up 100%. Happy

J

Last edited:
It never actually came!

I had my pepperpots fully refurbished and bought brand new centre caps for them before fitting my winter tyres on and they are still in my garage as i never needed to put them on.

Still hoping there might be a chance yet though and i get to do a super fast f1 style change over as we still have another month or so when potentially we could get some ice or snow but not really feeling like it was money well spent at the moment but hey there's always next year and last year the winter tyres were a God send!

I've not swapped to the winters on humpy.
The A3 is on winters but they were never really needed - now to put the "normal" tyres back on!

blue skies
tony

hehe, we had a couple of weeks of snow down here. But last week I swapped them for the summer tires. The temp here gets around 4-5 at night and around 12-14 during the days. Might been a bit early but I was eager to buy new tires and try them out. We will see if I have to walk to school or not...

Ada was swapped over from 15's with winter tyres back to the OE 17" Sport wheels today. Took the opportunity when the wheels were off to freshen up the wheel hubs by sanding these down and coating with high temperature silver paint. Also freshened up the wheel callipers with black gloss enamel paint. Looking good :cool:

Ada was swapped over from 15's with winter tyres back to the OE 17" Sport wheels today. Took the opportunity when the wheels were off to freshen up the wheel hubs by sanding these down and coating with high temperature silver paint. Also freshened up the wheel callipers with black gloss enamel paint. Looking good :cool:

Would love to see a picture .

Looking forward to go back from 15" winter's to 17" summer's too !
But my usual TT 6 spokes alloys are sold : I bought a set of Rotor replicas for this year :)

did anyone really need winter tyres this last winter, wasn't it the mildest winter on record :p

Absolutely no use whatsoever, but the difference in ride, handling and wet weather grip was notable. Back to crashy ride with the 17's but the car looks sooooooo much better ( to my taste anyway)

I'm glad I opted to buy a set of winter wheels though and will change from November to April regardless. We had some scary slips on the wide sport tyres in the bad winters in 2011 and 2012 to a lesser extent - and judging from the limited wear over 4,000 miles or so on the Nexen Winguard's I bought, they will last a good few seasons.

Hi all; on a similar subject; for two winters I used Goodyear Ultragrip winter tyres and am converted. Now on the lookout for steel wheels that will fit my 1.4 TDI so I can have the security of winter rubber again. Anyone know which wheels to go for?

Hi all; on a similar subject; for two winters I used Goodyear Ultragrip winter tyres and am converted. Now on the lookout for steel wheels that will fit my 1.4 TDI so I can have the security of winter rubber again. Anyone know which wheels to go for?

Anything 5 stud with 100PCD. There's a recent thread on the wheels and tyres forum which lists the car types which are compatible. Lots of VW, Audi, Seat stuff if I recall.

In reality, unless you pick up a set of steelies mega cheap from a breakers yard, there's invariably a cheap set of alloys going on eBay. Worth a look too.

Back