Removing Front Seat Base Cover and Replacing Base Foam

lifeisagame007

A2OC Donor
I'm having problems with driver's front seat in my Audi A2. It appears that the foam in the base is worn out as it gets uncomfortable after driving a few minutes. I can feel a metal wire pressing against my bottom :eek:

I found a seat on eBay that looks in good condition but it's the wrong colour so I would need to take only the foam and then remove the cover of my seat, replace the foam and refit the cover.

Does anyone know how to do this and how difficult would it be?

Thanks!

Its not difficult at all. My friend Bruce replaced the base foam on his seat himself, he works away from home but will ask him when he gets home at the weekend for you. He also has a contact for new foam replacement as well
cheers Paul

It's not overly difficult, however, neither is it really simple.

The thing to bear in mind is that buying a second-hand seat to swap over the worm foam is possibly going to put you in a simillar situation very quickly.

You also need to make sure both seats are of the same type (i.e both Sport or both SE).

The foam seat padding is available new from Audi dealers and is priced at approx. £75 (£90 inc. VAT).
Part No's differ depending on the seat type and covering used.

Cheers

Jeff

Its not difficult at all. My friend Bruce replaced the base foam on his seat himself, he works away from home but will ask him when he gets home at the weekend for you. He also has a contact for new foam replacement as well
cheers Paul

Thanks Paul, much appreciated!

It's not overly difficult, however, neither is it really simple.
The thing to bear in mind is that buying a second-hand seat to swap over the worm foam is possibly going to put you in a simillar situation very quickly.
You also need to make sure both seats are of the same type (i.e both Sport or both SE).
The foam seat padding is available new from Audi dealers and is priced at approx. £75 (£90 inc. VAT).
Part No's differ depending on the seat type and covering used.
Cheers
Jeff

Thanks Jeff, didn't realise I can get a brand new foam from an Audi dealership. It definitely sounds like a better idea to get a brand new one. I will get in touch with my Audi dealership to find out if they can supply me with one.

I contacted my local Audi dealership in Amersham and quoted me £110 including VAT. Not too bad I guess so I am thinking to order it tomorrow.

I contacted my local Audi dealership in Amersham and quoted me £110 including VAT. Not too bad I guess so I am thinking to order it tomorrow.

Send me a PM
I've got a spare set of seats that I took to pieces for the sub frames. They are in good condition and very blue, from SE seats out of a 2003 car that had done 30,000 miles. I'm also based in Chesham so not far from you. Free if you collect.

J

Last edited:
Finally got around to sorting this out and posting a few photos.

Big thanks to Hooley for sourcing the seat bases for free. The foam looked pretty much brand new and my bottom is eternally grateful!

a2-seat-01.jpg

a2-seat-02.jpg

a2-seat-03.jpg

a2-seat-04.jpg

a2-seat-05.jpg

a2-seat-06.jpg

a2-seat-07.jpg

Attachments

• a2-seat-01.jpg
    a2-seat-01.jpg
    207.4 KB · Views: 449
Hi,
I need a bit of guidance on removing the seat base. Is there a trick to getting out the two spline bolts at the back of the seat base (see pic)? They just seem to spin around.
Thanks
seat.jpg

I’m still at a loss as to how to get the base out :( the plan is to clean the cover thoroughly once off as its soaking wet and super mouldy

I’m still at a loss as to how to get the base out :( the plan is to clean the cover thoroughly once off as its soaking wet and super mouldy

Hi,

Sorry you are having no advice. I do have a very very vague memory of a post that mentioned that some bolt in the seats is extraordinarily long and take forever to unwind, maybe it's the ones you want to undo. I wonder if the lack of replies suggests there is no need to remove the bolts indicated to continue with the strip down. Indeed I stripped the covers and removed the foam from a seat some some time ago but have little memory of the details but I have no memory of removing those bolts, in fact I am fairly sure I did not. I do remember being puzzled at one point before I realised the way forward was to use the lever to lower the base if that helps. I suspect the bolts you want to undo are a red herring.

Suggest you post half a dozen pictures from different angles to show what stage you are at and somebody more knowledgeable, @spike, will be along.

Andy

Last edited:
I've stripped a seat but can't remember the details.
It could well be the bolts (item 2) which are Loctited in - and the shop manual suggests heating the heads to break the seal

Cheers Spike

Attachments

• A2seatbase.JPG
    A2seatbase.JPG
    111.1 KB · Views: 345
ahah. Thanks. It certainly looks like they have to come out. Ill try some heat and if not then its the drill I guess.

Back