Wiper tippy-tapping on the windscreen.

KekseKaempfer

A2OC Donor
I find that if I use the wiper, flexi one, on a fairly dry windscreen, for example a bit of drizzle, when the wiper parks, it rattles on the screen. I find a good slosh of water from the washers helps. Anyone else have this? Is my spring weak? The wiper blade looks like it's in good condition, no smearing or streaks.

Chris.

I find that if I use the wiper, flexi one, on a fairly dry windscreen, for example a bit of drizzle, when the wiper parks, it rattles on the screen. I find a good slosh of water from the washers helps. Anyone else have this? Is my spring weak? The wiper blade looks like it's in good condition, no smearing or streaks.

Chris.

Hi

If the metal underside of the wiper is tapping on the screen the it will soon ruin your windscreen with scratches and scrapes.
You can get a bit more of a gap between the metal and the screen by grabbing the point where the two arms meet and try to force the end if the lower arm up by pushing down on the end of the upper arm and pressing up on the end of the lower arm.

You gave to be quite firm with it and you should see he gap widen between the screen and arm.
Just give the point where the two arms meet a GENTLE tap to see if there us enough clearance.

Steve B

There should be a rubber pad on the wiper arm beneath the wiper mounting area. If it's missing, the net effect is the arm "resting" on the glass which will eventually cause scratches. There is also increased risk of the windscreen cracking if the arm is dropped against the glass. This is not a replaceable part, I sorted a similar issue by attaching a small grommet with super glue.

blue skies
tony

There should be a rubber pad on the wiper arm beneath the wiper mounting area. If it's missing, the net effect is the arm "resting" on the glass which will eventually cause scratches. There is also increased risk of the windscreen cracking if the arm is dropped against the glass. This is not a replaceable part, I sorted a similar issue by attaching a small grommet with super glue.

blue skies
tony

Yes the rubber protector is a must, but the rubber should not come into contact with the screen either or that will smear a stripe on the screen.

So even if you are fitting a rubber protector you should still be bending the arm to gain the extra clearance it will need, as well.

Many a screen has been cracked by someone letting go of the wiper arm when it has been folded back for cleaning etc. So the rubber is a MUST

Steve B
/

Yes

Many a screen has been cracked by someone letting go of the wiper arm when it has been folded back for cleaning etc. So the rubber is a MUST

Steve B
/

If you are working on the wiper arm its a wise precaution to cover the screen just in case the wiper 'snaps' back. I use an old bath towel folded up to make a thick pad.

Cheers Spike

The rubber grommet is still there, there is no contact with any metal parts on the arm. The wiper blade does have a good old curve on it. I'm wondering if it's just the sheer force of the blade pushing the centre out enough to allow wind to get under it and cause the rattling.

Last edited:
Viewed from the front of the car , two wiper arms extend from the wiper drive point towards the right.
At the point where the wiper blade joins the arms, the joint can be SLIGHTLY bent to hold the jointing piece further off the glass.
I have just done this myself and will see how it goes.
Are we saying that replacement windscreens are not available for the A2?
Regards, Andy White

Viewed from the front of the car , two wiper arms extend from the wiper drive point towards the right.
At the point where the wiper blade joins the arms, the joint can be SLIGHTLY bent to hold the jointing piece further off the glass.
I have just done this myself and will see how it goes.
Are we saying that replacement windscreens are not available for the A2?
Regards, Andy White

Windscreens are readily available, I have replaced four in the last 12 months (different cars, ALL because or wiper scratches) at a cost of £150 supplied and fitted (no insurance cover)

Bending the arm joint upwards to give more clearance is not only OK, but advised!!

As for the rubber, as I have said this is vital, but if your wipers are tapping and scratching the screen, just putting a rubber on will not do.
If the wiper arm is so close that it touches the screen, adding a rubber means that the rubber will also now rub on the screen, mark it and also reduce the pressure on the blade.

So always bend the bottom wiper arm upwards where it connects to the top arm until it FULLY clears the screen (rubber fitted or not!) but do fit a rubber to add protection.

Steve B

Back