Help! Major Diesel Leak

JRo

Hi all. My '01 1.4TDI is currently at the Stealer with a diesel leak (I reckon losing about 1 - 2 litres per day) that seems to be coming from the area above a small heat shield in the vicinity of right rear seat.

Apparently a valve near the tank(?)has failed and leaking at a high rate. Was quoted £115 parts & labour to sort out, which was not as bad as I feared. I only took it to the dealer as it is near by and with diesel leaking everywhere it was kind of an emergency. (Usually I find their diagnosis/fault analysis to be pretty variable).
However....dealer unable to order the part as it's been discontinued. Audi now say the valve is not required and should be replaced by some kind of 3 hose assembly... £200+ for the hoses alone!!!!

I've not managed to find any after market parts. The dealer's only other suggestion was a complete new tank, as this comes with the valve?!
Has anyone else encountered anything similar? Have trawled the forum with no joy. What's the point of the valve if it's now deemed not necessary?
Thanks in advance!

Isn't that where the fuel filter lives??
Posting a picture would help

Also where are you located?
J

Do you happen to know the part number of the valve/exactly what has failed?

It is not so clear which part you need from the illustration:
tank.JPG

Hi,

I don't suppose this only happened when the tank was full?

There is a breather pipe from the filler to the tank and if that springs a leak it only allows the fuel out when full or nearly full.

It doesn't sound like this is the same problem as yours but it might be something that others have suffered from

Steve B

Thanks for your thoughts.

Unfortunately, due to the volume of the leak and being pressed for time I just went straight to the garage and asked them to have a look.

The leak seems constant regardless of fuel level. In retrospect I think it probably started about a week ago. I eventually realised it was too much of a coincidence to keep parking on puddles of diesel(!)

From trawling the forum I found that diagram Spike, which was the closest I could find to any reference to a valve at the tank end, but the dealer has now given me the discontinued part number :8Z0 201 867A (can't see it on your linked diagram either, John.

The replacement references 4 pipes (2xfeed and 2xreturn) and I believe that the idea is you just bypass the valve. I phoned some other dealers (as my franchise isn't allowed to talk to other franchises!) to see if they might have the original part in stock but unfortunately not. However one of them thinks I should need just 2 of the hoses; Feed (PR 8Z0 201 220F) and Return (PR 8Z0 201 227C) at £19.20 and £33.00 respectively +VAT which is better than my dealer originally suggested.

Unfortunately the Feed pipe would be on back order, taking 7-10 days, so it looks like the Little Tank is going to be out of action for a while. Still interested to find out exactly what failed and how. I'll be heading back to the garage on saturday. Thanks again.

PS: profile is a bit out of date, now near Swindon. Car has done 142,000mi.

The original part is no longer visible in the catalogue and so would be tricky to find.
A quick online search listed the part number as being a SEAT part so you could try a seat dealer?

Is the valve integrated into the fuel hose now?

John

Thanks John, I'll give Seat a try tomorrow too.

RE the hose, yes perhaps that's what they've done. Might explain the price differential?

Jo

Just missed your post Andrew. That does make some sense now and hopefully should be a straight forward job once we get hold of the parts.

I'll keep you all informed! Thanks again.

Just an update: replacement fuel hoses are on back order - might be 2 weeks! In the mean time i've been given a smart new A4 Avant TDI to drive, which is enormous but quite comfortable!

I've got this exact problem with my 2001 1.4 TDI and it turns out the hoses used to replace the leaking fuel junction now in use are no longer available either. I've been able to track some down in Germany but I'm not sure exactly which part numbers I need. From the below diagram it looks like parts numbered 4 and 5 are potentially doing the same job, with one going off to the metering pump (36) and the other not. No idea which one is appropriate.

Any one successfully solved this problem in the past?

248201260.png

Back