Finally cracked 60mpg

KekseKaempfer

A2OC Donor
I don't have a particularly big commute. 70 miles round trip, 40 on the M4. The rest basically trying to get to the M4. Was getting close to 60, 57 to 59 generally, apart from a week of trying pulse and glide which I decided was a bit too risky amongst the M4 loonies. Anyway, a couple if weekends back I swapped the thermostat, I had already done the coolant sensor when it popped after a week of ownership. After my first full tank with the new thermostat I got 61.4mpg. With only a bit of gliding (there are a couple of really good hills towards Swindon from Newbury which I glide down where possible) so I'm relatively pleased. I'd like more obviously, but getting above 60 is a good start. My mph is generally between 60 and 65 rising above that when I'm giving it a pulse before the big hills. Onwards and upwards.

Chris.

got mine booked in for a new thermostat and temp sender,timing belt, water pump etc next month hoping my mpg will pick up again as im averaging 48.5 town driving at the moment:(

Are you in stop start traffic much? 60 mpg is easily achievable, I find, with some trying... My commute is no more than 8 miles and I use my car for business during the day too, longest journey being 3 or 4 miles. I can squeeze 60 mpg, or if I don't try 54 minimum each week.

Not wanting to boast, or show off, far from it. Some on here dwarf my efforts.

Well, I spend my first 10 to 20 minutes queuing to get to jct 16. My temperature needle barely gets to 60 before I'm on the motorway.. This tank, I had a trip to slough and back with no real sitting in traffic. I do wonder whether I can do more to improve my figures. New air filter, clean MAF, but you know 60. Compared to 30 in the Beetle is pretty good.

Full tank, driving back from Essen, eventually refuelled near Yeovil = 62.7mpg, not bad considering cruising at 80+mph much of the time on the continent. Celtic Tuning 105bhp re-map has certainly not hurt anything. Love it...

A recent heavy footed 2000 mile continent trip got me an average of 70mpg...generally get mid sixties though

Our normal MPG in a bog standard Tdi has been 45 around town and 50+ on longer journeys. Whilst it's maintained fastidiously our pattern and style of driving does not help MPG.

This weekend , Mrs G did about 500 miles. Brentwood, Sheffield, Bolton and return with some faffing about in between.

According to the odometer and fuel receipts, she got 64.3 mpg actual NOT DIS without trying. And believe me, she doesn't try. Motorways will have been 80mph+ and the Snake Pass will have been tackled in the spirit of the WRC.

Not bad for a 12YO car!

I have found recently keeping the engine ram at around 2500 the economy a few %

My fuel economy is about to smash 60 but going back down the other way. My last tank was low, but the current tank I'm burning through is looking to be really awful and I can't work out why...

I managed to do 72mpg in my black tdi90 when i picked it up from Manchester to Cambridgeshire. Even with driving through central Manchester :)

I managed to do 72mpg in my black tdi90 when i picked it up from Manchester to Cambridgeshire. Even with driving through central Manchester :)

That's amazing Manhattan,I cant get anything like that.

I was chuffed with 62 from Inverness-Glasgow and back

Agreed. I've never had any more than high 50's from our 90 - admittedly I don't drive with economy high on the agenda. I've changed the temperature sensor which was faulty but on a predominately motorway run of ~400 miles with cruise control set at 72 most of the way, I still only returned 56.

Not fussed mind. Great wee car! :)

My 90 mile motorway / dual carriageway/ A road drive home following purchase gave 56 mpg indicated too. Also keeping at the limit and getting up to it smartly. Tdi 1.4 AMF engine.

My fuel economy is about to smash 60 but going back down the other way. My last tank was low, but the current tank I'm burning through is looking to be really awful and I can't work out why...

I've found the diesels can be very funny when it comes to temperature. Have you checked your coolant temp sensor or thermostat with something else rather than the dash? (obd2 reader, vagcom or scangauge and the like?)

Yep - on or about 87C via ODBC when the dash temp is saying 90.

I've found the diesels can be very funny when it comes to temperature. Have you checked your coolant temp sensor or thermostat with something else rather than the dash? (obd2 reader, vagcom or scangauge and the like?)

Back