Driveshaft Broken

war1ord

Was about to start a car 2 day, engage a gear heard a clonk and car did not move , not reverse and not going forward on .
RAC came down to see a car and was thinking about clutch get broke , but on closer inspection he spot a broken driveshaft on off side, was twisted in half , anyone experience such a think on his A2 , really stund by that.

Sorry but you cannot twist a driveshaft, in all my years of mucking around with cars since the late 80's i have never seen a twisted shaft, ive seen bent ones due to accident damage, but not twisted ones.

I think that what may have happened is that the "knuckle" (the CV joint itself) has broken but not completely and so one half of the driveshaft has turned without the other half turning, i.e. "twisted".

As an ex drag racer I have seen driveshafts (half shafts) twist like spaghetti, that that was with HUGE BHP engines and super sticky tyres (something has to give).

So I don't think that the metal of the shaft has twisted, just the joints.
BUT, if the joint partially breaks then the fact that the engine is trying to turn the shaft and it is locked solid the shaft itself MIGHT have twisted.

Steve B

Hi being 1.4 petrol with mighty 75 hp sound kinda dreamy but yeah kinda did broke or rather twist , now in garage hope was quoted around 250£ part+work, will see aftermath in few days i hope.

I had a Rover 214i in maybe 2001 at Uni, 1.4 K series engine. Was a fine little car, a Honda in disguise. Anyway, the driveshaft failed on that. And it was far from a powerful engined or abused vehicle.

If I remember the shaft itself did twist and fail.

Did not manage to make photo b4 going to garage , got call and ready to pick up on sat. Hope gonna be alright.

Back