Open Sky replaced under windscreen insurance

Vonnie

A2OC donor
Back in February, just before a business trip I got the car out of the garage to take it to A2Cars (Tony) for my suspension to be replaced with Monroe Reflex and H&R Springs (which is fantastic now by the way), and we noticed that the first glass panel [The fixed panel above the windscreen] of the open sky on my car was starting to craze. Further investigation established a stone dent that had caused the issue.

After some deliberation on reviewing my insurance policy I decided that it was covered under my windscreen cover. So I called the Insurance company and was put through to someone who after checking confirmed that it was indeed covered. Then followed the need for Autoglass to confirm that they couldn't replace the panel even though I knew they couldn't - Processes have to be followed, and to also get some quotes - which is where A2Cars came in. Then I had to wait three weeks until after my business trip - as the car is kept in a garage so the insurance assessor couldn't view it until my return.

The assessor arrived, looked at the car, took some photos of the damage and the mileage, then said he needed to go away and work out a valuation and talk to the garage who would be doing the work. Then the remainder of the day was a tense one, as he mentioned 'of course we could write it off' Not what I wanted to hear, but then I guess the car is after all over 10years old with over 156,000 miles on the clock. I did of course advised the assessor that original painted White A2s are uncommon and even more so in the sport model with open sky, and that the car was always looked after, having just been serviced and the suspension replaced, and that I must care for the car if I was prepared to take it the distance to Milton Keynes for a service - I guess we will never know if that helped my cause of not, but it couldn't have done any harm. Fingers and toes were crossed and later that day Tony let me know the insurance man had given the go ahead.

The roof was ordered and we agreed that the car would be done during this past week, so last weekend we left the car with Tony and said we would collect this weekend as getting back to Milton Keynes is easiest for us at the weekend.

So this afternoon after Mike (A2Sumo) had finished work we drove back to see Tony and to collect my car. A fantastic job has been done and my Open Sky is perfect again, I just had to open it on the drive home :D

I forgot to get a decent picture of the car with the damaged panel, will see if Tony can send me one.

IMG_0809.jpg boxed new roof.jpg no open sky.jpg new roof.jpg new roof2.jpg

Great story and even better result.

As for the photos - quite possibly the coolest A2 on the road! :cool:

That is a good result! I saw Vonnie's car with the smashed front panel; it wasn't a pretty sight. I'm really pleased this has been sorted, and especially how it's been sorted.

A couple of questions...
What was it in your policy that made you believe the roof glass was covered? As the owner of an A2 with OpenSky, I've worried about this happening and it'd be nice to know whether I'm covered in the same way.
Secondly, I presume the replacement roof was of mk2 spec'?

Cheers,

Tom

Another silly but serious thought to follow on from the mk1/mk2 question - are there still opensky roofs sitting in parts storage somewhere or are they manufactured as required. :confused:

Another silly but serious thought to follow on from the mk1/mk2 question - are there still opensky roofs sitting in parts storage somewhere or are they manufactured as required. :confused:

I'd be fairly sure there's still a raft of them sat around. With the number of OpenSky replacements Rinner alone do, there'll be a steady demand.

I'm reading this slightly differently to timmus so would guess there are no mk1 roofs left in the supply chain and anything on order or in stock now would be the mk2 version.

Cheers Spike

Tom

In answer to your questions

1.The windscreen section of my policy that states
'replace or repair any broken glass in the windscreen, sunroof or windows of your car, and repair any scratches to bodywork caused by broken glass, as long as there has not been any other loss or damage to you car.

Claims under this section will not affect your no claims discount.

The reason why I wasn't sure was that the windscreen cover has an upper limit if you are not using there authorized windscreen company, but apparently for this type of claim that upper limit is removed.

2. I believe it is a Mk2 roof, but would need to clarify that with Tony.

This is an interesting saga. It would seem to go against the general thought that most insurance companies will try to do everything to avoid paying out!
May we know the name of the insurance company involved?

There's a couple of specifics that could be useful for other members, as I'm sure there are a few owners out there with stonechip damage to their Opensky panels and they haven't even consider a claim on this ( I recall one on sale which had a damaged front panel covered in a 'wrap' of some form.)

* As my insurance policy states much the same terminology relating to glass repair, are you aware what ratio of repair cost to car valuation was used when determining the repair against total loss?

* Not a question, more just speculation, but I wonder how an insurer would view such a claim on a car which had 'brokensky'? Would the repair be classed as an improvement and therefore part of the cost be apportioned to the customer.

Again, a fantastic story - what an outcome to have a brand new MkII roof for the cost of glass insurance excess, and fab that A2cars secured the work.

Last edited:
Great story and great result for Yvonne & Mike - as Murdo correctly says, it's a cool car indeed, I never get bored of admiring it :eek:.

At A2 Cars LTD, we were fortunate to be asked to quote for the repair of the OSS on vonnies car knowing that it would be an insurance claim and consequently submitted a very keen repair estimate. I sent a "good luck" text to Mike on the morning of the assessors visit to inspect the car and was quite shocked when Yvonne called to say the insurance company was considering writing her A2 off. I had the opportunity to chat with the assessor later that day and agreed to further downward adjust the final amount to enable him to authorise the repair, and keep such a fine A2 on the road - the more the better.

In answer to above questions, the OSS fitted to vonnies car was manufactured in November 2013 and is the Gen 2. Audi now have a new supplier and my understanding is that these roof modules are available if required. As with many "slow" moving parts however, delays may be experienced whilst the item is sourced from Audi's supplier.

A2 Cars is moving into its own premises on 01 May (yes - only 3 weeks to go!!!) and I have placed an order for one OSS to keep on the shelf to offer customers a fast turnaround.

Good luck with the new OSS Yvonne, use it and enjoy it.

blue skies (through the OSS ;))
tony

Pic 2.JPGPic 1.JPG

HI Murdo,

There is an additional line in my policy that states that ' they will not pay any more than the current market value of the vehicle less any excess'

The assessor didn't look to see if the roof opened; so I guess it will depend on the insurance company and the assessor.

Simufly, the insurance company is Direct Line, I've been with them for 15 years and in the 3 claims I have had to make have always been impressed.

There's a couple of specifics that could be useful for other members, as I'm sure there are a few owners out there with stonechip damage to their Opensky panels and they haven't even consider a claim on this ( I recall one on sale which had a damaged front panel covered in a 'wrap' of some form.)

* As my insurance policy states much the same terminology relating to glass repair, are you aware what ratio of repair cost to car valuation was used when determining the repair against total loss?

* Not a question, more just speculation, but I wonder how an insurer would view such a claim on a car which had 'brokensky'? Would the repair be classed as an improvement and therefore part of the cost be apportioned to the customer.

Again, a fantastic story - what an outcome to have a brand new MkII roof for the cost of glass insurance excess, and fab that A2cars secured the work.

Hooley might be interested in this thread?

I Hope that anyone with "Brokensky" and decent insurance cover doesn't see this as a way to get a new OSS??

Be careful when cleaning the windscreen in case you accidentally (wink wink) crack the roof glass!!!

Steve B

I Hope that anyone with "Brokensky" and decent insurance cover doesn't see this as a way to get a new OSS??

Be careful when cleaning the windscreen in case you accidentally (wink wink) crack the roof glass!!!

Steve B

As I was doing some DIY on my garage roof, my car insurance docs in my right hand, I accidentally dropped 11 hammers from my left hand directly on to my car parked underneath. They missed the body panels, but curiously ALL connected with my BrokenSky System. The Direct Line call operative could only just hear me over the noise.

Reading this thread now, and specifically Steve's comment,.. THE COINCIDENCE SHOCKS ME TO MY VERY CORE.

As I was doing some DIY on my garage roof, my car insurance docs in my right hand, I accidentally dropped 11 hammers from my left hand directly on to my car parked underneath. They missed the body panels, but curiously ALL connected with my BrokenSky System. The Direct Line call operative could only just hear me over the noise.

Reading this thread now, and specifically Steve's comment,.. THE COINCIDENCE SHOCKS ME TO MY VERY CORE.

fantastic! I really did laugh out loud there. I'm sure I read an article about freelance investigators making a mint tracking down shenanigans such as we are joking about here. Mainly bogus injury claims being spoken about on social media if i recall.

fantastic! I really did laugh out loud there. I'm sure I read an article about freelance investigators making a mint tracking down shenanigans such as we are joking about here. Mainly bogus injury claims being spoken about on social media if i recall.

I feel an utter fool now.

I forgot to mention two things:

a) I shouldn't have had those 11 hammers in my left hand, what with my left being weaker since my industrial injury the other week

b) I too fell off the garage shortly after the first incident. Must have been the shock. What made matters worse was the hole a builder had dug, and left. Good job I checked he had Indemnity insurance when I last saw him.

Steve B

I know the above was tongue in check.

BUT I really hope that no one would actually attempt this.

Especially with the knowledge that the assessor could ask to see the roof working and even if they didn't ask to see it working could potentially write the car off.

Ok that's the sensible me finished and I have to admit that Johnmed did make me smile with the 11 hammers in my left hand 'story'.

Back