Broken Dipstick

amy21

A2OC Donor
Hi

Just a quick question - should I be worried about the end of the dipstick breaking off? I checked the oil today and realised it wasn't there. I know it means I can't get a proper oil level reading but will it cause any more problems before I can get a new one?

Thanks

Amy

Have similar issue lately, not really big think to worry , new dipstick from audi main was 9£ , and also when open a bonnet there is a proper dipstick going straight in , and with far more accurate reading anyway been tell that by audi serviceman.

Thankyou.... I didn't think about it until I was driving back down the motorway after a day out and suddenly started to wonder! I was a bit concerned about where the broken bit has gone. I get a new one ordered this week :)

I think you will find that Audi have increased the price somewhat!

Not really. This was discussed on the forum just last week. I replaced our TDi dipstick maybe 3 years ago and it was £7 ish. I though that the petrol one was more expensive but was corrected, they are still under a tenner including VAT.

Last edited:
I have seen a few post over these snapping. I thought it was a bit strange that a dipstick would just snap, considering what they do and as they are not put under any load apart from slightly bent in the pipe I guess it must just be fatigue over time. I did a quick search and found it not just our A2s that have the issue. I think I will replace it as preventative measure maybe it should be scheduled in at some point in the manual or are some people just unlucky or if its mileage of model specific?

Cheers

Nige

Mine is a TDI and has just over 130,000 on the clock. I checked the oil a few weeks back and it was all intact then. Checked on Saturday morning and it had broken. I'm not the most regular oil checker as you can tell, so its not from over use! I suppose the car is 10 years old now and parts do wear. :)

Mine is a TDI and has just over 130,000 on the clock. I checked the oil a few weeks back and it was all intact then. Checked on Saturday morning and it had broken. I'm not the most regular oil checker as you can tell, so its not from over use! I suppose the car is 10 years old now and parts do wear. :)

The plastic probably degrades over time due to heating and cooling effect of the oil when the car is in use or otherwise. When mine broke it was noticed by a mechanic during a service and the end of the stick had nearly broken through but not quite. It was snapped off completely and replaced until the new one arrived the following day. The mechanical gurus confirm that the small piece of plastic can't do any harm if the dipstick end snaps off into the sump as it wouldn't be able to get past the strainer into the engine anyway. So nothing to be concerned about aside from ordering yourself up a new one and its a cheap bit too .

Back