tdi injector cleaner recommendations.

vespa166

A2OC Donor
coming close to tank fill time and intend to add an additive to clean and protect, lots out there to choose from so who's using what? looked at the 2 stroke route and intend to go down it once I get service done.

Google "Diesel Purge", it's a common treatment for the 1.9Tdi's and works well (done it a few times)

its basically naptha which you can also buy as trade paint brush cleaner.

Redex is just Naptha as well. Just buy some trade brush cleaner that contains "hydrodesulfurised heavy" petroleum. It's the same thing and much cheaper.

Archoil is what I use on all my cars. I even felt a difference on my BMW 335da with only 35.000km on the clock.

forte is pretty good stuff

Second that. :)

It's the only thing I'd use. It can be added direct into fuel filter (for Audi A4, A3 where its accessible) and drive it hard in 2nd and 3rd gear. It smokes like an E class frigate, but certainly does the trick. Change fuel filter afterwards.

Just been advised to add some cleaner by local indepandant.
Revved my tdi up and left a big black patch on the wet road.
He went round the back and put his finger in it and it was at least 2-3mm thick.
He asked how long it had been smoking - told him since i bought it 2 weeks ago.
He asked does it accelerate smoothly or have sort of flat spots through the rev range - told him it accelerates and then 'hits a wall' while revving up
Told me that is what happens when tdi's are used on short journeys all the time.
I told him I used STP Pre MOT and he chuckled and told me it's like adding a thimble full of water compared to the stuff he uses.
Got a bottle of Forte off the shelf and charged me £16 for it and told me to blast it in 3rd down a dual carriageway at night as it upsets less people.
Chucked it in and took it for a short blast at 60mph in 3rd. I hate revving engines past half the red line mark (eg red line 6000rpm- m limit 3000rpm) but he told me it's got a big timing belt on it and not to worry.
Seems better already and a bit more responsive.
Definately less black smoke.:):)

Last edited:
...I hate revving engines past half the red line mark....

That could be the trouble, if you don't get the EGT's up then you won't burn off the crud that forms around the injector nozzles, exhaust valves and turbo's.

When i pulled the head off my new A2 a few weeks ago there was a real build up of baked carbon and tar around the injectors and glow plugs. It had been used for 3 mile commutes for the last 5 years of it's life.

You could probably have achieved the same result simply by giving it an italian tune up without the additives. Engines are designed to be used across their full operating range and continually keeping revs down etc will eventually have potentially costly repercussions. Giving your car a good work out every couple of months will, in the long run be beneficial.

That could be the trouble, if you don't get the EGT's up then you won't burn off the crud that forms around the injector nozzles, exhaust valves and turbo's.

I've only owned the A2 for two weeks and it was smoking well when I bought it.

Just visited Tesco in Warrington, Cheshire. They had 5 or 6 bottles of redex diesel at £2. Bought one and whacked it all in the 3/4 full tank. Like a boss.

Back