My car dies after a long run for about an hour!!!

Help please,

After a long run my 1.6 FSi dies for about an hour before she will restart again. The car is fine for as long as I am on a motorway, be it one hour or 4 hours. However, once I leave the motorway she will last for about half a mile before she cuts out and will not start for about an hour. To date my garage cannot resolve the fault and is having trouble clearing the fault that includes the words intake manifold control valve not reaching some limit or another and the code N316 is in there somewhere. To date they have changed the following:

1. EGR valve
2. Inlet manifold (Swirl valve)
3. Swirl valve actuator valve
4. Inlet manifold tuning valve (the N316 part)

None of this has solved the issue and my bank balance is taking a big hit (Nearly £1500 so far!!).

Can anyone help?

Many thanks in advance

Ian

Hi from the top of my head i would say crank sensor is on its way out. If your still getting set point not reached i would say the inlet flaps are not seated correctly after they were replaced---i have read on here that one guy had problems with a new position sensor for the flap, he exchanged it from audi and all was good. cheers mike

Mike,

Thanks for the quick reply. Would the crank sensor not bring up another fault code? Can I presume you are on about the potentiometer when you say position sensor?

Once again, thanks and I will pass on the information. Ian

I'd second Mike's crankshaft sensor theory. In the early stages of failure they can be 'heat sensitive' so the ram air effect may just keep the engine bay temps cool enough on the motorway.
I guess the choice is you take the risk of replacing the part which may not fix the problem or let the 'cutting out' get progressively worse so it triggers a fault code or fails all together

Cheers Spike

Back