New gear knob emblem

Maso

Hello,

I would like to buy a nicer or newer top cover where you have the gear indications for S-line style gearknob.
According to Audi I need to buy the whole gear lever for £130, which Im not in mood as just bought a second S-line gear stick with worn gear knob plastic piece.
Picture will make sense to what I looking for.
Any tips to wear to buy just this piece or if any one has one lying around please tell. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1397669058.077146.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1397669067.126247.jpg

Gearbox Recondition and 6-Speed Conversion

However, I found that the Typ 4F Audi A6 uses exactly the same gear knob emblem design as the A2, except the A6 was made with a 6-speed manual transmission.

I'm in need of this type of emblem. Do you any spare that you would like to sell? I need a new one for my S-line gear knob as the chrome around it is broken and looks tacky. See added picture.

u7y7y7eb.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Maso,

I'm slightly confused. I'm guessing you're just looking to replace your worn emblem with a better condition 5-speed emblem, not a 6-speed version as I've done. I think Spike was directing you towards posts that outline how to change the whole gear knob or just the emblem.

The gear knob can be separated from the shift rod, but a special clip and crimp tool is needed to properly attach a new one... unless you want to use a jubilee clip. *shudders at the thought*
If you take a look at my 6th gear thread, you'll see that the emblem can be separated from the rest of the gear knob... http://www.a2oc.net/forum/showthread.php?21523#post165097
A few posts further down the page, you'll see how to 'extract' the emblem without risk of damage.
The emblems cannot be purchased separately, but if you buy a whole gear knob from a car that's being broken, swapping the emblems is easier than swapping the whole knob as the aforementioned tool isn't needed.

...and from the 6-speed conversion thread...

I had a sacrificial A2 gear knob that I used to figure out how it was put together, as I didn't want to damage the A6 gear knob's 6-speed emblem or the gear knob in my own car.
The emblem is held in place with a vertical plastic clip from below. There's no way of releasing the clip, but its hold isn't especially strong. So, you can pop it out by getting a very fine screwdriver and inserting it at the 12 o'clock position of the gear knob, where the leather is stitched together. Get the screwdriver under the very bottom of the emblem, rather than levering it out by the chromed lip around the top.

I'm in need of this type of emblem. Do you any spare that you would like to sell?

Unfortunately I do not have a supply of spare emblems. I merely purchased a single 6-speed version during my gearbox upgrade.

Cheers,

Tom

Last edited:
Hi Maso,

I'm slightly confused. I'm guessing you're just looking to replace your worn emblem with a better condition 5-speed emblem, not a 6-speed version as I've done. I think Spike was directing you towards posts that outline how to change the whole gear knob or just the emblem.

...and from the 6-speed conversion thread...

Unfortunately I do not have a supply of spare emblems. I merely purchased a single 6-speed version during my gearbox upgrade.

Cheers,

Tom

No exactly I was after the emblem flr the 5speed S-line gear knob. Do you say that I actually have to source another full gear stick from another 5speed audi a4 or a6 that has similiar emblem so that I can exchange them?

You posted a pic of two 5-speed enblems; one with small digits and one with bigger so I assumed you might have them lying around as you showed a picture of different models.

No exactly I was after the emblem flr the 5speed S-line gear knob. Do you say that I actually have to source another full gear stick from another 5speed audi a4 or a6 that has similiar emblem so that I can exchange them?

You posted a pic of two 5-speed enblems; one with small digits and one with bigger so I assumed you might have them lying around as you showed a picture of different models.

To my knowledge, the emblems aren't sold separately. They certainly have no part number. So, unless you can find someone on eBay selling just the emblem, you'll have to buy an entire gear stick and then transplant the emblem. That's what I had to do.

You're right, I did post a pic' with two 5-speed emblems side by side. You'll notice that one of the emblems has the precise problem you're trying to solve; the silver edging is coming away. The other 5-speed emblem is in near-perfect condition, but it's of an SE style rather than Sport style, so no good to you anyway.

Cheers,

Tom

Last edited:
I'm not sure at all, but the emblem looks just like the one did in my dads old Audi 100 C3. I think it was a 1990 make. Might be worth a try.

Back