Headlight bulb advice needed

venusinfurs

Hya, this is probably going to be an unusually long post about changing a headlight bulb but hey, the A2 doesn't make it easy ;)

First of all my driver side bulb has gone and needs replacing, last year i used '90% Osram H7 Night Breaker Plus Low Driving Headlight Bulb' and i am unhappy about the longevity of this bulb, but i do like its performance... could anyone recommend a good performing set of bulbs that will last a bit longer?

I tried and failed last year to replace the bulbs myself, how easy should it be to replace yourself and is it recommended? I'm also a little worried about the alignment being right on the dipped beam if i do it myself. Is there an easy to use guide anywhere?

Is it a good idea to try and replace the bulbs myself and then go to a garage to check alignment? That would be cheaper rather than a garage fitting them, although i did find it difficult to get at the bulbs myself, and i think even at a halfords garage they took some time getting at the bulb.

Thanks for any advise you can give me.

Hi quick simple answer -- take the headlight unit out. You will need a t27 bit and long handled driver. Two bolts out then remove multi connector (can be fidly but once you get the feel of it ok) you can then easily change the bulbs. No problem with alignment as you wont adjust the adjusters - just align the unit so it sits nice with the bumper.
As for a recommended bulb I cant help as I run hid bulbs (super performance and life). One tip for getting the multi connector off is to push the whole connector in then at the same time pull the tag up slightly then pull it off. Hope that makes sense.
Cheers mike

thanks, i'll give it a go when i order new bulbs, luckily the days are long so not in too much of a rush.

I'll probably go for Phillips bulbs this time, which have the best ratio of performance/longetivity?

I use these Philips 12972-XVS2 H7 X-Treme Vision 100% Kit (2 Bulbs)

Nice and bright and last quite a while (used in all 3 of our cars)

Like has been said, by far the easiest way is to simply remove the headlights.

I have some H7 night breakers in mine, have had for 8 months now. Haven't read a bad review about them on Amazon, and only cost me £8.89 at the time.

Hi quick simple answer -- take the headlight unit out. You will need a t27 bit and long handled driver. Two bolts out then remove multi connector (can be fidly but once you get the feel of it ok) you can then easily change the bulbs. No problem with alignment as you wont adjust the adjusters - just align the unit so it sits nice with the bumper.
As for a recommended bulb I cant help as I run hid bulbs (super performance and life). One tip for getting the multi connector off is to push the whole connector in then at the same time pull the tag up slightly then pull it off. Hope that makes sense.
Cheers mike
On my 2001 petrol a 27 torx on top and a 10 mm socket wrench on the side is needed to remove the headlight. I usually don't disconnect the connector, I just let it hang in the wires. Care is needed to be taken though, no yanking! Remember to reassmble the lid before putting the headlight back in the car. Don't know how many times I have forgotten this.

I have changed all my lights in the headlamps since I got the car. Running Osram Nighbreaker Plus for the high beam and Philips Xtreme Vision for dipped beams. Don't really know about longetivity yet, but performance is satisfying.

just noticed my main (high) beam is also out... what size bulb do i need?

H7 for dip beam and H3 for main.

Philips X treme are available for dip but not main beam which is why many people use Osram Nightbreakers for high beam. Philips seem to have a longer life than Osram but it may be worth checking Amazon reviews for the latest opinions.

Cheers Spike

Osram nightbreakers all round here. Longevity isnt amazing, but from Amazon they are half the price of Philips.

ok, i failed miserably, i got the headlight unit out, the dipped bulb part way out and it just got stuck against the metal brackets!

In the end i got it done at kwik fit for £10.

:eek:

Last edited:
Back