AuA 1.4 petrol engine problem

tomblyth

A2OC Donor
Hi All I was hoping to pick your minds,
For xmas I bought my other half an loverly Black A2 with 67k on the clock, she has started her driving lessons and i thought I'd service the car and treat it to some new bits so it would be ready for her once she has passed her test.....
Jobs
New Cam belt and Water pump/ track rod ends / drop links /Oil flush and oil/filter change with correct oil / EGR valve clean. new air filter and fuel filter....

Now the problem, although the engine ran well before the maintenance since the work the tappets make a horrible noise, I've added hydrolic tappet cleaner but after 30 miles still no change, I dont want to do any damage so have parked it up ......any Ideas whats happened and how do i fix it?

Cheers Tom

Last edited:
Not to sound like the prophet of doom, but, are you sure the belt is timed up properly and the noise isn't valve/piston interface?

surely if the belts were wrong it wouldn't drives so well ! but it drive like new, just really noisy

What grade of oil are you using?

I'm wondering if it's too thick, you might get a tap, especially when it's cold

took it to bits again yesterday, Timing spot on , oil pump fine , sump strainer clean , found hole in breather pipe and replaced that so will refill today, you have any more suggestions? Has anyone used Q8 or should i just bin the new`Q8 oil and use castrol Edge even though Q8 recommend this as a vw/audi oil......

took it to bits again yesterday, Timing spot on , oil pump fine , sump strainer clean , found hole in breather pipe and replaced that so will refill today, you have any more suggestions? Has anyone used Q8 or should i just bin the new`Q8 oil and use castrol Edge even though Q8 recommend this as a vw/audi oil......

That oil should be fine.

Are you 100% sure that it didn't make the noise BEFORE the service? With the bonnet on and sitting in the car you may not have noticed it, but now you are listening with the bonnet off and with your head up close.

So unless it sounds like a sewing machine when you are in the car, with the bonnet on, then I would live with it!

You have checked everything else.

Steve B

no it was quiet before , im starting to think the engine flusk might have dislodged ome Sh*t which is lodged in thetappets!.. never had the cam cover off one of these, Is there any nasties I should out for ? cheers Tom.... Is there anywhere I can get a manual, Haynes don't do one....

no it was quiet before , im starting to think the engine flusk might have dislodged ome Sh*t which is lodged in thetappets!.. never had the cam cover off one of these, Is there any nasties I should out for ? cheers Tom.... Is there anywhere I can get a manual, Haynes don't do one....

If they are all noisy (or most of them) then it is likely to be oil starvation rather than muck in them.
But a dislodged piece of "muck" might have blocked the oil way that delivers oil to them.

Another "but" is that they are noisy because of too large a gap and too large a gap will definitely affect running.

So it is a bit baffling as to what has happened.

The worry would be that your oil pressure might have dropped too low, that would be catastrophic for your engine.
So to be on the safe side please do get the oil pressure checked by someone with the right kit to check oil pressure.

if the tappets have suddenly become noisy and they weren't before then it COULD be something serious, so don't just assume that iot is just a minor problem.

Steve B

the whole lots coming to bits, going to blow out the oilways with compressed air, before i run it again , I'll keep you informed if thes works...

The oil spec you used is the correct grade. The AUA engine can be a little "tappety". I have two 1.4 petrol AUA A2's and they both make the noise, one of the cars has a brand new set of lifters. The valves are actuated via hydraulic lifters and there is no adjustment.

Perhaps consider another flush - new oil has fantastic detergents and cleaning abilities and refill with a slightly thicker oil. Replace the oil filter too.

blue skies
tony

sump off again ,and that means its now had new cam belts water pump oil ways cleaned out with 200psi airline, new oil pump, 16 shiny new tappet and new Castrol edge 5-40 oil and filter, If that doesn't cure the bag of hammer sound i'm just going to turn the radio up ! some of the original tappets had failed ! two had came apart and the small springs had snapped...

Back