changing gear a bit stiff

Redtom

A2OC Donor
Hi,
Just had a look at another A2.
Nice car ,but the gear shifting was a bit tight, are there any known problems selecting gears, as it was a bit firm compared to the A2 I drive.
Could the clutch be worn out at 75000 miles.

Many thanks for any answers I get

redtom

Was that a diesel or a petrol A2? Diesels have a cable system for gear changing and petrol is a rod-linkage. The gear-change on the petrol cars is so very much easier and better! I know this because I drive both versions regularly .... It is possible to adjust the diesels' cables, but it will never be better that a petrol A2 ....

David

A couple of people have had problems with the corroded selector shaft / seized bushing in the gearbox tower. Also worth checking / replacing the oil and doing the cable adjustment (there is a link to a you tube guide in the 'how to' section of the forum)

Cheers Spike

Sorry about not saying that it was petrol.
Thanks for the information, it feels like I might buy it.
After another drive.

Many thanks
Tom

...Diesels have a cable system for gear changing and petrol is a rod-linkage...

I assume because the TDi rattles about a lot more than a smooth petrol and hence needs more damping from engine to car interior hence cables rather than rods. So a retro fit isn't desirable even if do-able. My old 75 TDi had a gear change rattle and felt like the gearbox was "loose" but shift was heavy-ish. New 90TDi has good selection but the movement is very stiff so I suspect cable or pivot lubrication issue.

Was that a diesel or a petrol A2? Diesels have a cable system for gear changing and petrol is a rod-linkage. The gear-change on the petrol cars is so very much easier and better! I know this because I drive both versions regularly .... It is possible to adjust the diesels' cables, but it will never be better that a petrol A2 ....

David

Really? I thought all A2s had cable linkage. I could be wrong about that but certainly my 2004 FSI has cables.

Really? I thought all A2s had cable linkage. I could be wrong about that but certainly my 2004 FSI has cables.

The gearchange feel on the petrol is VERY different to that on the Diesel.

If you are used to a diesel and then drive a petrol A2 for the first time it feels like there is something wrong, the gearchange is just so easy, it even feels TOO easy.
Switching from a petrol A2 to a diesel will also feel like there is something wrong because there is a definbitel firmness to the gear change.

If you have only driven one type or the other then you weill feel that it is perfectly normal, it is only when you compare the two that you notice the difference.

The petrol gearchange feels like you could do it with one finger, the diesel gearchange feels more secure but definitely firmer.

It cost me a sale recently, the buyer was used to a petrol A2 and was convinced that there was a problem with our A2 because the gearchange felt "stiff" (there wasn't a problem!!)

Steve B

Yes, i can also confirm that the gear change in a petrol is very loose and slick where as my A2 tdi's had a stiff feeling...

When I bought my A2 TDi a year ago, I thought that the gearchange was very stiff. I lubed it where I could and did the cable adjustment; but there was no immediate improvement. After a while though, it got easier. I don't think that it was just because I got used to it, I believe that the car had not been driven regularly for a time before I bought it, and using it every day improved it a lot. Now I think it's great.

Back