Plastic Fastners...??

Axit

A2OC Donor
United-Kingdom
I want to one day remove my front bumper get it painted and then replace it.

so Ive been baffled by the round plastic fastners that are visible on top of the bumper when you remove the bonnet, i think theres about 5 of them visible, over the past few months Ive twisted them prodded them, tried to feel the back of them, attempted to unscrew etc,... still baffled but slightly embarrassed to admit defeat,.

anyhow today i lifted one hoping it would pop out, which it refused to do, so I then pressed the small centre, which pressed in and fell into the moulding never to be seen again, but anyhow this released the fastner which can now be removed,... So ive simply put the remainder of the fastner back into the hole without the centre part which obviously secures it.

Please explain Ive never seen this system before, Ive looked through the site and no one even mentions how to remove these fastners...

are they re usable, or do you have to purchase replacements, after use, if so what are they called. and what is the correct procedure for removal and fitment..

hope you understand my cry for help, john..

They are reusable. They are plastic rivets and if you press the pin down you can pull out the fastener.
If you find the plastic pin they are generally reusable so long as you are gentle.
There are some smaller versions of these fasteners holding the wheel arch lining in. If you take one of these out you can see how it all works.

Push them down softly and then try to pull lift the edge of the fastener with a flat piece of plastic. They lift up easily when the pin snaps down.

They are called spreader rivets and have the following part number: 8Z0 807 300

They are cheap and should not be more than £1.50 each at the most (they were even cheaper last I got some).

John

I lost one of the inner pins whilst removing the OSF wheel arch liner trying (and failing) to find the 1800-1900rpm resonance source a few weekends back. Do you have the part number for those?

Thanks

John

inner pins themselves not doable, get the part number as specced above. There's a 4B variant I think, too, that has a *slightly* different diameter.

Use a 5mm screwdriver, push it slightly, get the "click" and then use a knife to lever the plastic skirt up. You are working at your own risk like this! (I personally do it this way regularly, but that's me and I've done these way too often....)

- Bret

I lost one of the inner pins whilst removing the OSF wheel arch liner
Thanks

John

With vernier and junior hacksaw hidden behind your back, casually ask the wife where she keeps her knitting needles. There may be one which is the perfect diameter.

Cheers Spike

Where is best to get 8Z0 807 300, I need a full set at the front as they are old and crumbling. Online can't seem to find them in the UK anywhere, or is just straight to Audi/Seat/Skoda/VW? Cheers

Back