O/S Rear Door opening problem

slacky

First 'proper' post ! woop woop.

So I bought a cheap x reg 2000 80k in silver and this is the first of many problems im experiencing.

Off side rear door wont open from the outside but will from the inside. What is strange is that if I press the unlock on the keyfob and pull the handle within 1 second then it will open. Also after about 10 seconds of starting the engine i hear that door do a double click.

The lock mechanism seems well lubricated and clean. Has anyone ever experienced this problem. Any help is appreciated and thankyou in advance.

Do you have rear electric windows? The symptoms you describe are new to me (not seen them before on the forum).
I have a spare rear OS door lock and loom for manual windows if it helps.

Try disconnecting your battery for a while. Turns out that door CUs can also have issues, so try that first. 10 mins should do it.

- Bret

Reactions: chb
If you have rear electric windows then Brets suggestion is worth a try.
I have not had problems with my rears (and my project A2 has manual rears), but certainly my front door "brains" have lost the plot a few times due to the car battery dropping voltage due to age...new battery fitted last summer and no problems since.

Hi,

my N/S rear door does a similar thing. After quite a while of trying to time the button press on the key with pulling the handle (the timing had to be just right for it to open) I discovered that the door opens every time if the handle is pulled again. That is, the first pull does not open the door but releasing the handle and pulling again does.

It seems that the solenoid isn't completely unlocking the door and it knows that because turning on the ignition activates the locks again. Pulling the handle seems to fully unlock it but it takes then a second pull to actually open the door. When the solenoids activate again when the ignition is turned on, it goes back to requiring two pulls even if the door was just opened.

regards

Andrew

Thanks for the replys guys.

I disconnected the battery for over 10 mins but unfortunately the problem still exists. I pulled the wiring grommet between the pillar and the door and it looks like a poor past repair.

Cant attach image will try when im at home.

Please see attached image. seems to be a yellow wire going to a red with yellow trace wire.
20140424_131841.jpg

You can buy the cloth loom tape audi use from Ebay, it makes good repairs.
If you need end plugs or anything then post on here and I am sure one of us will have a spare.

Hi,

red with they yellow stripe is the +ve power feed from fuse 39 to the door control module.

As the wire is exposed (!) you should be able to check if there is any power getting to it.

regards

Andrew

Managed to get a multimeter on it. It shows 12v with ignition off and 10v with ignition on. I took the connector off (latch hidden behind it) and noticed green corrosion so i cleaned it with wd40 and some wire but it made no difference.
I also noticed that when the rear door is open the dash reports ok and doesnt indicate the door open so can i assume this is the microswitch problem?

Many thanks to all that have helped.

Back