Where is the G263 evaporator outlet temperature sensor?

ajsellors

A2OC Donor
Hi,

I decided today to look into replacing my G263 evaporator outlet temperature sensor. It hasn't worked since I got the car and I have had the replacement almost as long.

Having not found any useful information for RHD cars except that the dash has to come off, I thought I would have a look today.

I found this picture of a LHD climate unit and this quite clearly shows the position of the G263 sensor next to the windscreen demister flap motor. I've marked it and the position of an adjacent screw.

A2_LHD_G263.jpg

On LHD cars its easy to find and easy to change.

I removed the demister and temperature flap motor holder bracket from my car so that I can easily see the marked screw and demister flap gear.

However, on my car, when I look where the temperature sensor is on the picture, I cannot see anything attached to the side of the unit. This is the side on the left of the car which would be the driver's side on a LHD but is the passenger side on RHD. Although the centre of the climate unit seems to be the same on both versions, as the blower motor and pollen filter are always on the passenger side, they are next to the demister and temperature flap motors on a RHD car which would put them right in front of G263 if it were it is shown in the photo.
I had a good look round the area, both with my endoscope camera and feeling with my hands and didn't find anything at all.

My question is, where actually is G263 on a RHD car and even better, does someone have a photo of it?

Is it actually on the left, passenger side on RHD?

Or, is it swapped over to the other side and is on the drivers side of a RHD car?

I did find the following from another thread of A/C woes:

http://www.a2oc.net/forum/showthrea...vice-from-Awesome-Stealth-Skipton-Autos/page2

The photo from this thread which I have annotated below, shows the direct opposite side of the central part of the climate unit from the RHD car and this has a tantalising glimpse of something fitted in the direct opposite position of the G263 on the LHD photo:

A2_RHD_possible_G263.jpg

This looks like the wiring connector part of the G263 sensor, but with no connector fitted. Is it?

Any help will be very appreciated.

Andrew

Access is from the top of the dashboard, a few inches from the centre of the car, towards the drivers side. Its quite difficult to get your hand down the gap between the mouldings because of the slope of the windscreen but you should be able to feel for the wires and gently pull out the sensor. The sensor sits horizontally and is a push fit.
It's several years since I replaced mine so hope this description is accurate and helpful - but no guarantees.

Cheers Spike

Access is from the top of the dashboard, a few inches from the centre of the car, towards the drivers side. Its quite difficult to get your hand down the gap between the mouldings because of the slope of the windscreen but you should be able to feel for the wires and gently pull out the sensor. The sensor sits horizontally and is a push fit.
It's several years since I replaced mine so hope this description is accurate and helpful - but no guarantees.

Cheers Spike

Thanks, that's really helpful. I was looking on the passenger side because that's where it is on LHD. I'll have a look with my camera tonight.

regards

Andrew

Hi Andrew,

With the dash out, you'll see that there's a flat aluminium 'bar' that runs front-to-back from the very front of the windscreen to the main aluminium structure beneath the dash. This 'bar' is directly above the steering column. Look just to the left of this bar and you should see the flat connector of the G263 sensor.
As Spike says, it's a little buried between the main wiring harnesses and other under-dash gubbins, meaning you'll have to squeeze your hand into some tight gaps, but you should spot it without too much trouble.

Cheers,

Tom

Back