Replacing number light clusters, how to?

Hi there MOT said I need to replce number plate lights so im doing the whole cluster with LED bulbs, how do you get to them from inside the boot lid or from outside? thanks

Outside. There's 2 screws in each lamp unit as you'll see but they're notorious for rusting solid so you 'may' need to carefully drill these out which will invariably break the lens - none of this is an expensive job but its fiddly. Be careful!

If you get them out OK without breaking the lens, replace with stainless steel self tappers.

Are you just looking to replace the bulb and the translucent lens, or the actual bulb holder? The former is relatively straightforward (as Murdo describes above), but the latter is quite involved. Let us know.

Cheers,

Tom

Hi,

The number plate lights fittings are secured from the exterior by two screws. Once the screws are removed, they will "drop out" (might need some gentle persuasion).

DSC02926.jpg

I haven't found some "complete unit" A2 compatible LED fittings, but you can change the bulb for an LED equivalent. The A2 fittings are not common with any other Audi or VW model.

The plastic can crack through old age, if you need new ones they are part number: 8Z0 943 021
The left and right hand side are the same.
Replacement screws are: N013 966 26

The bulb is a C5W "festoon" bulb. LED replacements work well.

regards

Andrew

Hi,

a good call regarding using stainless steel screws. The OEM ones rust. I find it sometimes possible to remove a rusted screw by engraving a groove across the head and using a flat bladed screwdriver. The screws shouldn't be too stiff as they just screw into the plastic other half of the light but its just a question of getting some purchase to turn it.

The clear bit which holds the light bulb looks like this when removed:

DSC03441.jpg

regards

Andrew

Hi guys,

I'm replacing one of the lenses as its split but can anyone recommend from experience a good LED festoon bulb that's not too bright? EBay is littered with them but the ones I bought for my A6 light up the road behind the car.......:cool:

I would be interested in replacing my bulbs as well, and by the looks of one a lens.
I was following a Audi A5 the other day with LED bulbs fitted, that were too bright, it didn't help either as the bulbs reflected off the Crome work right into my eyes.
So some not so bright LED's if there is such a thing.

I would be interested in replacing my bulbs as well, and by the looks of one a lens.
I was following a Audi A5 the other day with LED bulbs fitted, that were too bright, it didn't help either as the bulbs reflected off the Crome work right into my eyes.
So some not so bright LED's if there is such a thing.

HI,

I have yet to see ANY rear number plate LED that looks ok.

Not only are they too bright often, but the light is just a bit narrow, the diffuser doesn't seem to spread the light enough.

The secret is to use a festoon with just one or two SMDs, rather than three, or perhaps an early "old fashioned" type of LED, they are not that bright.

By the way, I bought some "Cree" reversing LEDs and they are fantastic, they light up the lens very evenly and have that great pure white light. What was a super bonus was that I got them for 99p on an eBay auction (and that included postage!!!)

Steve B

Hi everyone, I bought some LED's for the rear number plate and also the boot light, while attempting to replace them 3 locations with LEDs something must of happened to the circuit because now the 2 number plates and boot lights don't work anymore, both with LED and the original bulbs, not sure what I've done, have I ruined the electrical circuit? I now have no light to my rear number plates and in the boot :(,

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, could it be a blown fuse? I know Fuse 32 is the rear number plate light but not sure if there is a fuse to the boot light, can a fuse be visually checked to see if It's blown? Not sure where the fuse box actually is lol

Hi everyone, I bought some LED's for the rear number plate and also the boot light, while attempting to replace them 3 locations with LEDs something must of happened to the circuit because now the 2 number plates and boot lights don't work anymore, both with LED and the original bulbs, not sure what I've done, have I ruined the electrical circuit? I now have no light to my rear number plates and in the boot :(,

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, could it be a blown fuse? I know Fuse 32 is the rear number plate light but not sure if there is a fuse to the boot light, can a fuse be visually checked to see if It's blown? Not sure where the fuse box actually is lol

I had a similar issue that you describe with LED's for the rear number plate light.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/321391194253?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Purchased from ebay they have a small heatsink attached to the festoon 38mm. There are little brass contacts inside the inner part of the bulb holder and the LED with heatsink (if positioned level in the bulb holder) when refitted shorted the connection out a few times (and blew a few fuses in the process) I heard them go when I turned on the sidelights to check they were working. I did it a few times until I got it right, I eventually angled the heatsink up enough so that it wouldn't short out anymore. But this does change the angle of the light emitted by the LED's. I have now ordered these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/111480878678?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261541772708?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Which should be better and should solve the shorting out problem. I bought two types and will see which ones give the best light and spread. They are LED's within a glass tube so should be water/moisture proof as well.
The fuse box can be found under the steering wheel level with the drivers right knee. 10 amp mini blade fuse.
Hope this helps.
Drew.

Like mentioned above its hard to find the right LED. I habe tried a few different models and these are the ones im most pleased with.ImageUploadedByTapatalk1413832053.249142.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1413832067.315995.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1413832074.951451.jpg

Hi Drew and Maso,

I really appreciate your response and ebay links included, goes to show how good the forum and community is! :)

The LED I tried also had a heatsink so I believe this has shorted out the fuse as you suggested, I had a look at the light in the glove box which also isn't now working (I didn't touch this btw) which apparently uses the same fuse so that also suggest to me the fuse is blown, I think im gonna replace the fuse and try and insulate the heatsink with electrical tape and try again, will keep you posted :)

Right I had a look at fuse number 32 and it was blown!! So I bought a 10A mini blade fuse and my boot light and number plate light is now working :):), I taped up the heatsink with electrical tape to insulate it and that has also worked too, the LEDs look sooo much better!!

Only problem now is my rear interior lights is abit flickery, I have to turn it off and on a few times or tap it to get it working now :/, not sure what caused it, its as if it has a semi-loose connection

Back