Engine runs fine but stops after any 2nd startup.

My A2 1,4 TDI starts fine and runs smoothly as fine Norwegian cheese when the engine is cold. However, if I make a stop somewhere and start it up again after, let's say, 20 minutes, the engine will run fine for, oh, anything between 2-30 seconds....and then it dies - regardless of speed. Dead as a dodo. :confused:
And then the car will bug me by not starting properly for the next ten minutes or so. (And no - I'm not forgetting about glowing.)
Anyone who has any idea as to what might be the problem???

My A2 1,4 TDI starts fine and runs smoothly as fine Norwegian cheese when the engine is cold. However, if I make a stop somewhere and start it up again after, let's say, 20 minutes, the engine will run fine for, oh, anything between 2-30 seconds....and then it dies - regardless of speed. Dead as a dodo. :confused:
And then the car will bug me by not starting properly for the next ten minutes or so. (And no - I'm not forgetting about glowing.)
Anyone who has any idea as to what might be the problem???

I would suggest that it MIGHT be a faulty temperature sender, this might make the car think it is cold and so over fuel it?

Best to have a VCDS scan done and check BOTH temperature readings (even if the dash is showing correctly the other half of the sender might be faulty)

Steve B

I would suggest that it MIGHT be a faulty temperature sender, this might make the car think it is cold and so over fuel it?

Best to have a VCDS scan done and check BOTH temperature readings (even if the dash is showing correctly the other half of the sender might be faulty)

Steve B

Sounds like that just might be the culprit. Thanks!

Did you resolve this? My wife's TDi is currently very reluctant to start, then when it does, sometimes it dies within 10 seconds. And it has also taken to cutting out whilst driving. She is losing faith so has taken my 18 year old W124 Mercedes out tonight...

Thanks

John

Thanks for all the replies. The problem was found to be the camshaft position sensor http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/00515 Since changing that last week the car has started fine and not cut-out whilst driving. The temperature sensors were in agreement with each other. Faith restored, but still annoyed by resonance near the bulkhead side the driver's footwell, despite resecuring an unclipped brake pipe which looked to be a perfect candidate.

John

Back