1.4 16v rocker arms/hydraulic lifters

Evening all!

As you (may or may not) know i have an intermittant misfire on my 1.4 16v (AUA) A2. This has got progressively worse and is looking more like a knackered hydraulic lifter or rocker arm (very tappety at tickover; this is when it starts misfiring) on cylinder 1. It could also be a sticking valve..... however before i take the head off i was thinking of doing the hyraulic lifters/rocker arms by removing the cams (these are part of the rocker cover). It means only removing the cambelt and rocker cover without disturbing the head gasket (and is something i could/am happy to do!, head off is not for me and is expensive)

Question: Can the hydraulic lifters be removed/replaced in this way?
Question: How are the rocker arms attached to the head?

I know the valves/guides are good from the work Steve B had done, if one is sticking, can it be freed up with just the rockers/cams removed? I was thinking of turning number one cylinder to bdc and giving the valves a tap after soaking from above with penetrating oil?

Comments, obvious flaws in my plans etc?

Cheers,

Simon.

Forgot to add this picture of a 1.4 16v with the rocker/cam cover removed:

DSCF2250.jpg

...not clear how the rockers are attached...

Simon.

Hi Simon,

The rockers are just a push fit on to the top on the lifter, with a wire spring on the rocker holding it in place over the nipple of the lifter.

When you remove the rockers, check each spring to make sure it's not broken.

If you do find any that are damaged I may be able to help you out, as I have a few spare.

Cheers

Jeff

Before ordering bits i thought i'd do an engine flush (Wynns), oil change (Castrol Edge 5W-30) and filter... what a difference! still tappety at tickover but super quiet at all other times and the misfire has disappeared!!! she will now tickover at 800 rpm (with no hunting like before) and doesn't drop onto 3 cylinders.... i think i will still do the hydraulic tappets and rocker arms, but not in such a rush now :D

Simon.

Before ordering bits i thought i'd do an engine flush (Wynns), oil change (Castrol Edge 5W-30) and filter... what a difference! still tappety at tickover but super quiet at all other times and the misfire has disappeared!!! she will now tickover at 800 rpm (with no hunting like before) and doesn't drop onto 3 cylinders.... i think i will still do the hydraulic tappets and rocker arms, but not in such a rush now :D

Simon.

I am so relieved and happy for you.
I hope that you will now be able to enjoy that great little A2 with no more niggles.

Best wishes
Steve B

Cheers Steve, it's a cracking little car and i'm looking forward to enjoying it without thinking about it dropping onto 3 cylinders at the entrance to a busy roundabout (though i have developed my driving technique to avoid it over the past few weeks!).

I must add that i am super impressed with the handling, not sure if it is the tyres or the chassis/suspension set-up (probably a bit of both) but the handling is very neutral with just a hint of understeer at silly speeds.... reminds me of a mk1 VW Golf Diesel i had back in the early 90s.... a joy, could do with slightly grippier seats!

Simon.

Back