Tyre recommendations - 17" RS4 alloys

Hi All

I have just returned to A2 ownership after being tempted by a 1 owner 54 plate 90bhp TDI with only 45,000 miles.

It has 17" RS alloys but with a right mis-match of unknown tyre brands of size 205/40/r17 84Y.

Can anyone recommend tyres to fit - would rather have decent branded tyres as let face it, they are the only thing between the car and the road.

Thanks

Hi All

I have just returned to A2 ownership after being tempted by a 1 owner 54 plate 90bhp TDI with only 45,000 miles.

It has 17" RS alloys but with a right mis-match of unknown tyre brands of size 205/40/r17 84Y.

Can anyone recommend tyres to fit - would rather have decent branded tyres as let face it, they are the only thing between the car and the road.

Thanks

I'm not going to help you much with this answer, I know, but nevertheless my advice is to run it on whatever tyres you have now for a little while (IF the tyres are legal, of course) to decide whether you can live with the ride on 17s. Plenty of people have downgraded wheel size for that reason and it's best to be sure of it before you splash out on 4 new tyres. My only other comment is, the A2 is very undemanding of its tyres, especially the rears, because it is light weight, so the choice of brand is less critical than on some other cars.

I completely agree with Jackhay, but would add that some members run 205/45 tyres on their 17 RS alloys as they seem to offer a more comfortable ride (albeit with a slightly inaccurate speedo) than the 205/40 tyres. I'm fitting a set of 205/45s to my car next week, so may be able to give you some feedback of the experience after a few days. Personally, I find the 17s provide better steering feel/response, and a more 'planted' feel on the road, compared to the 15 and 16 inch wheels which the car has been fitted with previously. Can't comment much on tyre brand, but I'd generally avoid budget tyres.

Thanks for the replies and interest. The ride is actually pretty good so I am happy to stick with the size and yes, steering response is very good. The tyre are fairly new but I think seem to be the source of a noise at around 50mph which besides the mixed brands and treads is another reason for wanting to change them. I was considering Michelin pilot sport 3's which I hope will reduce road noise and as you say would last some time due to the cars light weight. Would be interested in your experience of the 205/45 tyres and which brand you have A7YJJ.

I completely agree with Jackhay, but would add that some members run 205/45 tyres on their 17 RS alloys as they seem to offer a more comfortable ride (albeit with a slightly inaccurate speedo) than the 205/40 tyres.

I've been running 205/45 R17s on my A2 Sport Tdi 90, and the ride is significantly improved. I no longer swerve to avoid small potholes and manhole covers, though it is not as compliant as my wife's Seat Ibiza on 215/40 R17s.

I've checked the speedo accuracy against my GPS, and it is now spot on (used to overread by 3mph). The overall rolling diameter is, just, within the 3% margin which, I understand, you are permitted to change by.

Grip and roadholding is pretty much as good as before, certainly I haven't noticed any detriment to cornering or braking and it feels every bit as secure as the 205/40s did. If anything, due to the better ride, it feels more composed and 'planted'. Straight line performance has slipped a little bit, and it seems a tad less economical (I get about 50mpg in mostly 15 mile commutes in a mix of rush hour traffic and motorway), so perhaps the gearing is slightly too tall, but I'd be very reluctant to go back to 205/40s unless I changed spring and damper settings to something less rigid.

I've used Continental SportContact 5, and Michelin Premacy 3, which both work out at around £150 per wheel, fitted, and have both been excellent. Grippy, good in the wet, fairly quiet, and decently long lasting (20k miles, if rotated from front to back at half wear).

HI all. After getting a nail through the shoulder of one tyre I decided to replace all 4 tyres sooner rather than later. The tyre of choice ended up as Uniroyal Rainsport 3 but in 205/45/r17 form. Cloth ears was right, the ride is a great improvement with reduced road noise as an additional benefit. Too early to tell how fuel consumption is panning out but handing and grip is improved over the mix originally fitted. Will update the fuel consumption after a month or so.

Hi am getting a set of these fitted to my newly refurbished wheels Falken Ziex ZE-914 Ecorun on a 215/40/17 will be picking them up in a couple of weeks time.
Having used FK452s before looking forward to these new tyres.

Cheers.

Hi am getting a set of these fitted to my newly refurbished wheels Falken Ziex ZE-914 Ecorun on a 215/40/17 will be picking them up in a couple of weeks time.
Having used FK452s before looking forward to these new tyres.

Cheers.

Ahh fk452s. They were the tyre of choice for me on the Beetle for many a year. Excellent performance and cheap.

I'm going for Conti Eco contacts in 16" tomorrow to replace the two fronts. I figured I may as we'll pay an extra 20quid per tyre and potentially save a bit in fuel. I hope that's how it is going to work out anyway.

Chris

Back