A2 1.6 FSI headache

6stings

A2OC Donor
I took the car to Audi service in Germany last week. To be able to drive it down there without these weird missfires/power losses mainy uphill, I blocked the EGR, cut the exhaust flexi pipe and replaced it temporarily with a cheap Biltema one. That I almost lost a finger in a process is another story.

So, full speed to Germany, no trouble whatsoever.
The car was at the service 2.5 days because of the delayed parts, but it got a new ERG and the pipe, a complete exhaust line, all new wheel bearings, all new shock ansorbers, a new timing belt/water pump and all tensioners...
The engine was checked many times, no misfiring codes found, but still random loss of power/misfire at low rpm, when the engine is warm. It didn't missfire before the temperature pass about 70 degrees.

I should have left it one more day, to clear the problem, but I was already late for the boat back to Norway.
So we blocked the EGR pipe again, I drove it back 600 km without a problem, well driving through Germany and Denmark means no hills and mountains, but the very moment I got of the boat and drove up the first hill on E39, the weird missfiring came back. No warning lights, nothing, except a few flashings, when I push it harder uphill to pass a few trucks.

I'll replace the petrol regulating valve and probably the pump too, we'll see what happens...

Looks like I don't have to replace anything in the fuel system!
Cleaned the trottle yesterday, as good as possible, without pulling it out. I used the CRC Carburetor Cleaner, since it's impossible to find any Wynn's (that I found recommended in threads) product in South Norway.
200 km today, nice and fast, only few hickups at low rpms uphill, generaly, 50 times better than before!
Thanks to all a2oc'ers and all 40 subscribed threads for a huge help in little more understanding how these FSI's behave.
image.jpg

If yo want to clean the throttle body you really have to take it out, all the crap is sitting underneath the valve........
Just did it this weekend at my Mrs. A2. 1.4

Can give you a hand..........living close to Gjøvik.......

Cheers, Rolf!
I understand, but if I have to do some ECU stuff after mounting it back, than I'm in trouble :)
I'll PM you later this evening!
Thanks,
Darko

That's what I need, thank you very much!

Just when I thought the headache was over - it wasn't!
The hickups uphill returned yesterday! Downhill - no hickups at all, not even at more agressive accelerating!?
No engine light on, no warnings, nothing, just hickups, totaly random, no frequency pattern.

Feels like when my '73 VW 1300S run out of petrol.

I need to work some serious voodoo to sort this out! Or move to Denmark.

Last edited:
not the same engine but my 1.4 petrol has a blocked injector (i think). it works perfect most of the time. accelerate hard or sometimes on idle it runs very very rough. i cannot put my finger on it as it is very intermittent so kook might be on to something.
Is there no fault codes even pending? it might show that there is a missfire on cylinder one or similar but its not a missfire related to spark plugs but a missfire related to the injector ;-) also a mention of running lean.
It also shows a fault with the egr valve but i had that replaced last year so unless the egr is faulty i am not going to replace it again. i may look at removing permanantly.

another thing is if it is only going uphill you could have a leak somewhere or air may be getting into the fuel system.

Audiobull, both kook and you and many a2oc'ers have pointed me into which direction should I look, I appreciate that a lot. I'm taking one step at the time, since I have limited technical knowlege and even more limited time to deal with some engine problems.
I was thinking about the air/vacuum/fuel leak/problems, but until someone explain to me point-to-point what and where to look for, both in word and picture, I'll probably spend next 6 months watching and listening the engine and wondering what a hell is going on there :D

I have had many petrol and diesel Audis last 20 years, still have two A3s outside, never experiencing any problems whatsoever. I drive about 40000 km a year and replace the cars every 2-4 years.
I'd like to run the A2 a 100000 km more, so I don't mind getting it in shape. Man, I already invested in parts and service more than I paid for the little thing, but I want it on the road.

Last edited:
My wife's 1.6FSI has given us plenty of problems over our few years of ownership. About a year ago, it was running badly and cut out a couple of times and we found it almost impossible to restart. It turned out to be the petrol pump. That was replaced and all was well for a while.

Now we're finding that it runs poorly and acts as though it's going to cut out of the tank is below a quarter full. This one has me baffled.

I don't think we've ever had a lengthy period of time where there hasn't been a problem of some sort with this car.

I talked to guys about the symptoms at Audi service in Lübeck, they said they will have it flying as a bullet next time I'm there with it, this week I had my A3 for a 30000/90000 km service.
The only reason I didn't have the 1.6 FSI fixed was that I couldn't stay a day longer.

They said the fuel pump would act the same on idle too, not only while driving uphill.

It's interesting that the engine run smooth for a while every time after a minor intervention, like a fuel filter change, and then the symptoms return. It happened after the EGR blocking, after the throttle 'cleaning', after the ign.coils/plugs replacing.

I talked to guys about the symptoms at Audi service in Lübeck, they said they will have it flying as a bullet next time I'm there with it, this week I had my A3 for a 30000/90000 km service.
The only reason I didn't have the 1.6 FSI fixed was that I couldn't stay a day longer.

They said the fuel pump would act the same on idle too, not only while driving uphill.

It's interesting that the engine run smooth for a while every time after a minor intervention, like a fuel filter change, and then the symptoms return. It happened after the EGR blocking, after the throttle 'cleaning', after the ign.coils/plugs replacing.

I have read on the forum that the injectors tend to start throwing up problems when the engine is up to temperature so you wont notice a drop in power until warm then all of a sudden you will get random loss of power.

Oli

I have read on the forum that the injectors tend to start throwing up problems when the engine is up to temperature so you wont notice a drop in power until warm then all of a sudden you will get random loss of power.

Oli

Oli, I have read about it too, but his is more like sudden cut-offs of acceleration, than loss of power. And why uphill and not downhill?
Cheers,
Darko

I've had same problem for 2 years. 3 garages have had a look but can't figure it out they only suggest replacing parts one at a time to see if it fixes it. Plugs and coil packs were first to be replaced. No improvement. Engine light has been on/flashing for most of the time saying misfire on Cly3 and Catalyst efficiency is low(but emissions still good for MOT). Willing to travel to a forum member who is a wizz to try and solve.

Replaced the MAF a week ago, still some ramdom misfiring symptoms uphill, but much less than before. Talked to guys at Audi in Germany, they suspected the throttle. A new throttle arrived from Germany, I'll test my mechanic skills replacing the old one :)

The trottle replacing operation went just fine. Took the car on the long journey yesterday, ran 10 times better than before, but not without a minor, random 'missfiring' uphill, specialy on the long climbings, and mostly at 2300-2500 rpm...

What looked to be a good day turned to another nightmare a 170 km from home!
The generator died, I couldn't see what else, in the middle of a heavy traffic. Two hours waiting for the road help, the car left at the Audi service in Stavanger. The good thing is that both of my sons live in Stavanger now, so I borrowed the A3 from the older one to get back home...

We'll see what they say at Audi Forus today...

The road workers didn't care about the car standing right at the edge of the road they worked on...
image.jpg

A new generator in place. Expensive experience, hope the insurance will cover a part of the bill. Crank shaft sensor replaced on my account while they were working on the generator.
Still not running smooth uphill. Downhill - like a bullet.
I'll replace the fuel pump, the fuel pressure regulator and the filter this weekend.

With all the hickups, I managed to drive 10000 km since April :)

I just replaced the fuel pump! There was about 8L fuel before I pulled the old pump out. The new pump read 3/4 full. Drove down to petrol station, filled it up - reading dropped down to 1/3 !?!?

What should I do now, people?

Back