A2 1.6 FSI - Where is the Knock Sensor?

6stings

A2OC Donor
Is there any photo or a good description of the Knock Sensor position on 1.6 FSI?
Appreciate any help!

I think it is the same location as the 1.4 16v.... back of engine block, below inlet manifold, behind coolant pipe... not easy to get to! Held by 1x13mm bolt, must be torqued to 20Nm when fitting.

Simon.

doesnt really help with locating it rolf.

you might be able to get to it from above but you will need to have arms and hands that can change direction in directions they shouldnt be in.
for the easiest removal or location you will need to lift the car, remove engine tray. From above you might be able to get in from the side but you wont be able to see it which will make life very hard.

I belive I found it on A4 1.6 FSI engine photo that popped up googling, thanks! image.jpg

Last edited:
wow that looks very easy to get too. not sure where the exhaust is on the fsi though so that might be in the way but yep from underneath is the only way. The others are a little higher then that unless it just looks higher and easier as the engine is out the car.

Do you mind me asking why you need to get to the knock sensor? I imagine it has failed of course, but what are the symptoms that mean it is the knock sensor? (Just curious in case it happens to me!).

I didn't say it failed, I just want to check everything. The car has 100000 km on the counter and has not been servicing by the book and the service bills the previous owner sent me, was from 4 different services...

Hi in case anyone is still searching for the knock sensor, I recently changed the knock sensor on an FSI I bought. In my case the wiring connector was completely missing when I eventually found the knock sensor. Any way if you are looking for the knock sensor you will need to get it from under the car. I could see no way to access it from above. You will also need to remove the plastic cover under the engine. I jacked and propped the car on stands then was working on my back.

the bolt securing the knock sensor has a 13mm head and is only just visible from an awkward angle, accessing it with a standard socket and extension bar was tricky, for me very tricky. I found that using the video on my mobile to look for the bolt head helped. here are a couple of photos to help you locate the sensor VIDEO0031_0000047672.jpgVIDEO0031_0000167373.jpg. Look for the black metal bracket in the photos, the sensor is behind there. When I removed it eventually there was some corrosion on the block. I cleaned it up and the sensor face and rewired the connector (i will post the connector type later as this was quite hard to find out too). Replacing the sensor was extremely awkward - some guidance on the correct tool to use might help others as there must be an easier way than I did it with an extension bar.
the sensor clean up and rewire solved the 16711, 17733,4,5,6 fault codes and the car runs MUCH better now.

thanks to all the other posters, i wouldn't have tried without the previous guidance.

Sorry if I sound silly but would you have to take the first stage of the exhaust off to get to this ? Or can you work around it ?

My wires have been cut in half so I need to strip the wire and connect them back

Would this be possible in the space I would have ?

Back