I just fixed my a/c with cheap s/h pump from ebay

Mophim

Hello

Just thought I'd share this. I have no previous experience with any of this but if I can do it ... (**important** I had the old gas properly recovered first. It's illegal to just let it go, as it's a poisonous CFC)

My A2 air con has been broken since we bought the car over a year ago. I finally got fed up with it.
I've had various compressors on my ebay watch list but many were rather expensive, even for a used one (I don't have the budget for new or recon)

However, whilst researching, I found a recon site giving a cross reference part number of 6Q0 820 803 G for a compatible Denso compressor, as used on a VW polo.
I then found an ebay seller selling these salvaged pumps for £9.99 plus postage (£7.99)
So I ordered one, which arrived thursday.
I fitted it yesterday, took to Kwikfit (no fix no fee deal - not my ideal choice of companies but quick & easy) and now I have working A/C.

I'm sure for under £20, it's worth the risk if anyone is in a similar boat (although not really any risk as business ebayer must offer 14 day return as well as PayPal & ebay giving 45 day return policy)

The seller is here (as of 5th July 2014)>> http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/220752344189 or put item id 220752344189 in the ebay search box. user - stevens_vw_dismantlers

I can give more details of what I did to change it / get it working if needed.

Actually, I did buy £9 of PAG 46 compressor oil from GSF, as I wanted to change the oil.

It needed 140cm³ (about 4.6fl oz)
It also took around 455g of gas from a recommended 500g +- 25g

I hope this helps someone else.

BTW, I knew my original pump was 'goosed' to paraphrase another thread (I love the word 'goosed : ) as the pulley spun freely of the centre boss at the end, meaning the pump had seized and stripped the rubber.

Had the same issue mate...

I used the pump from an 07 Ibiza as it was 'kicking about' the workshop from a recent track car conversion... worked a treat...

Top left is old A2 pump and bottom right the Ibiza one...
20140629_100940.jpg

Pulley looks different is all but all lines up and works fine..

VAG reuse parts massively across the marques... just means you can source parts without specifically going Audi... I had to replace the front uprights/hubs on my A2... breakers were selling A2 ones for £90 each... I got a pair of Fabia ones (same part number) for £40 each...

Pays to shop about especially if the cars are similar (Polo, Fabia, Ibiza share a lot of parts to the A2)

<tuffty/>

Back