100, 000 getting Stealthed on Thurs

tdige

A2OC Donor
100000.jpg

So she done 100,000 time celebrate never had a car with such high mileage. So Im going to treat her to a EGR delete and re-map at Stealth on Thursday quite a trek from Edinburgh. Taking a tent first time in 10years as going to make a week of it going to Fairford Air tattoo on Sunday anyone else going?

Happy Daze

Nige

Mike is spot on - it's a transformational mod to the car. Completely rids the engine of the feel of asthmatic anaemia when revving past 3000rpm! Enjoy.

Hi Nige,
Is this on a 90? and without being rude what's the damage on this? often thought about doing this but never seen a price for egr and remap?
please report back on the difference. Lee

So I though I would give you an update after my trip to Stealth and touring around parts of the UK. Covered just over 1500 miles visiting family even managed to fit in the mid year Curry night:)

Pre remap - I was never disappointed with the performance of the car to start with being a Tdi90 it was quite punchy anyway. I have always liked the engine and the little whistle you get from the turbo. However it did not rev freely and seamed to slow on acceleration passed 3000rpm I just put that down to it being an oil burner.

Post remap - Night and day in comparison. The engine is far more flexible, it revs to and past 4000rpm freely, its much smoother and powerful to drive. Its like a different motor, so I'm well happy with it.

I have never been a driving eco warrior, so I usually get between 50-55 mpg. After the remap I'm getting 55-58, thats only after a few fill ups and without trying to be honest.

Dyno results not the highest I have seen on here, 117.5 bhp and 215 lb ft torque Im happy with that with 101,515 miles on the clock.
Vince said the exhaust my have reduced the back pressure thus resulting in slightly lower than normal but only by a few horses. However Im still toying with getting the reset of the exhaust in stainless regardless.

I have had a few pm's asking how much it cost. I had my own Allard EGR kit I bought from Bruce on here(thanks for that Bruce). Fitting it was 1.5 hours Labour apparently there a pain to fit and Vince prefers to just delete it on the remap. The old one is so full of gunk so to change it cost £74.25+Vat.
The Custom remap was £225+Vat
Total £359.10 including Vat

I was quoted £360 from Celtic tuning just for the rolling road remap so quite happy with the price.

So I though I would give you an update after my trip to Stealth and touring around parts of the UK. Covered just over 1500 miles visiting family even managed to fit in the mid year Curry night:)

Pre remap - I was never disappointed with the performance of the car to start with being a Tdi90 it was quite punchy anyway. I have always liked the engine and the little whistle you get from the turbo. However it did not rev freely and seamed to slow on acceleration passed 3000rpm I just put that down to it being an oil burner.

Post remap - Night and day in comparison. The engine is far more flexible, it revs to and past 4000rpm freely, its much smoother and powerful to drive. Its like a different motor, so I'm well happy with it.

I have never been a driving eco warrior, so I usually get between 50-55 mpg. After the remap I'm getting 55-58, thats only after a few fill ups and without trying to be honest.

Dyno results not the highest I have seen on here, 117.5 bhp and 215 lb ft torque Im happy with that with 101,515 miles on the clock.
Vince said the exhaust my have reduced the back pressure thus resulting in slightly lower than normal but only by a few horses. However Im still toying with getting the reset of the exhaust in stainless regardless.

I have had a few pm's asking how much it cost. I had my own Allard EGR kit I bought from Bruce on here(thanks for that Bruce). Fitting it was 1.5 hours Labour apparently there a pain to fit and Vince prefers to just delete it on the remap. The old one is so full of gunk so to change it cost £74.25+Vat.
The Custom remap was £225+Vat
Total £359.10 including Vat

I was quoted £360 from Celtic tuning just for the rolling road remap so quite happy with the price.

The old back pressure chestnut!!

Over on other TDI forums, they all suggest getting a 2.5-3" straight through system. Anything with a turbo on it will provide backpressure, as the turbo itself is a restriction, due to the turbine.

So I doubt your new exhaust system reduced the output you got. Mine has certainly improved performance, not reduced it.

If Im correct, the 90's have the VNT turbos, so maybe your vanes arent moving as freely as they should be, considering the high mileage??

When I had my remap done at Stealth, I made sure the car had been serviced, and I had run a full tank of diesel with fuel system / injector cleaner in it.

My TDi 75 put out about 113bhp, and I would like to say this has likely gone up since the new exhaust, however I cannot categorically prove this until I get the car on a dyno again.

The old back pressure chestnut!!

Over on other TDI forums, they all suggest getting a 2.5-3" straight through system. Anything with a turbo on it will provide backpressure, as the turbo itself is a restriction, due to the turbine.

So I doubt your new exhaust system reduced the output you got. Mine has certainly improved performance, not reduced it.

If Im correct, the 90's have the VNT turbos, so maybe your vanes arent moving as freely as they should be, considering the high mileage??

When I had my remap done at Stealth, I made sure the car had been serviced, and I had run a full tank of diesel with fuel system / injector cleaner in it.

My TDi 75 put out about 113bhp, and I would like to say this has likely gone up since the new exhaust, however I cannot categorically prove this until I get the car on a dyno again.

Sorry I missed your reply

The car had a full service, the VNT vanes were and are still moving freely and I had used fuel cleaner the tank before I set off on the 330 mile trip which I used shell v-power. So I covered all the basics as you for mentioned John.

One thing that may have had an effect (I may be corrected on this though) since I bought the car it had and intermittent starting problem I will cover this in another thread. The long and short of it I changed the camshaft sensor and since I changed it the car seems to run a lot better starts first go. So Im wondering if that was the culprit there was not fault codes showing just poor starting. I would be interesting to put her on the dyno again though.

Tdige

Interestingly, I have never noticed any reluctance to rev in my tdi90. It always runs cleanly to 4500 (and beyond if you don't watch it) which surprised me when I first got the car, but now I just find other diesels asthmatic if you give them the beans.

Mine is also approaching 100,000 miles and I've wondered about a remap (anybody got contact details for Stealth?) but as I've had a bottom end engine rebuild lately, I was a bit reluctant to put additional strain on it if it would reduce life expectancy, also I wonder about the risks to my (original) DMF.

Mine is serviced by Awesome, who do offer remaps, so if I were to do it, I'd almost certainly take it there, unless there is any particular reason why the Stealth mod is preferable.

Any thoughts on the above, gratefully accepted!

Had my 75 Tdi mapped on Saturday by Vince at Stealth

What a difference it has made, my car now just feels better
Not sure what the outputs are now (Vince had issues with his computer for outputs) but pulling is so much better
3000 rpm and out of go is no longer an issue
Should have done this ears ago
I will now be keeping my A2 (currently on 154k miles), it goes so well and still doing easy 60+mpg

Back