iPhone Integration - A Cup Holder Transformed

timmus

A2OC Donor
Eight months or so ago, I finally changed my sturdy but simple Nokia Brick for an iPhone. Almost immediately, I started thinking about how to integrate it into my A2. I wanted a solution that didn't result in any wires, holes or cradles on show. In other words, if the iPhone wasn't in use, then my A2's interior had to show no evidence of the phone's integration. Furthermore, I didn't want to have to modify any major components; my A2 might be timeless, but the iPhone isn't, so the solution had to be completely reversible.

First and foremost, the integration was about playing music from the phone through the Bose system. With 64GB of storage in the phone, it holds a large portion of my CD collection. To have all that music available wherever I go was the major driving force, but I also wanted to be able to use the phone as a SatNav system on occasions. For the most part, I'm not a fan of SatNav - I like to look at a map and have a sense of where I'm going - but when getting through the streets of inner Birmingham, for instance, SatNav comes into its own. So, keeping the phone within view from the driver's seat was also important.
Whenever I need to use a cup holder, I choose to place my drink either in the rear cup holder between the front seats or I use the passenger's front cup holder. I find that the driver's front cup holder gets in the way of the indicator stalk and the cruise buttons, so it's never used. As such, I decided it was to be converted into a pop-out iPhone dock.

IMG_2399.jpg
The driver's cup holder is now a pop-out dock.

IMG_2418.jpg
The iPhone on its dock, playing music.

IMG_2405.jpg
Compared to the cup holder, the dock's range of travel is limited, meaning it doesn't get in the way of the indicator stalk.

IMG_2412.jpg
The iPhone in use as SatNav. I keep my phone in a leather flip case, but the dock still accepts the phone in its case.

I'm really chuffed with the result. With the dock 'drawer' closed, you'd never know it was there. When in use, the phone's screen is positioned excellently. And all I've done is modify a spare cup holder, meaning reverting to standard is a job of minutes.

The dock itself supports and charges the phone, but the integration with the stereo is done over Bluetooth. All audio is streamed wirelessly using the A2DP profile. The audio connection supports 320kbps transfer, which in an automotive environment is more than adequate. When listening on my home stereo, nothing less than 16-bit PCM will do, but in the car its just not necessary.
Control is done using the AVRCP profile. The stereo buttons, such as track skipping, wirelessly control the phone. Removing the keys from the ignition causes a pause command to be sent to the phone. Similarly, turning the ignition on causes the stereo to turn back on and the phone to resume playback. It functions exactly as though a CD was in the Concert II head unit. However, given that the dock is merely for charging and holding the phone within view, it's not always necessary to use the dock. With the phone in my pocket, it works in exactly the same way.
For all that I've emphasised music playback, the system also works as a hands-free kit, with a microphone hidden above the driver's head.

The Bluetooth interface is made by XCarLink. It's a little box of tricks that connects to the CD changer port on the back of the head unit. It has a CD changer pass-through function, meaning it works alongside my boot-mounted CD changer. This device is also responsible for providing power to the dock. It provides power whenever the ignition is turned on or whenever the stereo is turned on. I've nestled it neatly inside the foam piece beneath the centre console tray.

IMG_2362.jpg

IMG_2392.jpg

Compared to products that require the phone to be docked, another advantage of this setup is that no earth loops are created. I've found audio hiss can increase greatly when using iPhone/iPod interfaces, but there's no risk of this when connecting over Bluetooth. Furthermore, for all that my dock is made specifically for 30-pin Apple devices, any Bluetooth-enabled device can connect to my A2. For instance, whenever my sister hops in my car with her Android phone, she can choose to play her music. Thankfully her record collection overlaps greatly with mine! There's also a 3.5mm jack input for analgue audio transfer, but I've not employed that (yet).

As a complete setup, compared to RNS-E, it has a few drawbacks. Obviously the phone has to be docked to be usefully employed as a SatNav system whereas RNS-E is always ready to go, but that's hardly an issue. The real downside is that the head unit has to have its input set to the Bluetooth channel in order for it to work. Again, if you're looking to use the phone as a music player or as SatNav, that's hardly an issue, but if your phone rings whilst you're listening to the radio, answering the call through the hands-free function requires a few buttons to be pressed.
However, compared to RNS-E, it also has many advantages. It's an iPhone. :)

Tom

Last edited:
The Making of the Dock

So, a few photos showing the transformation from cup holder to iPhone dock...

For those who have never seen a cup holder assembly removed from the dash, this is what it looks like...
IMG_2368.jpg

To begin, I removed all the pop-up plastic parts that support the drinks container, leaving the cup holder looking like this...
IMG_2180.jpg

I bought about 5 different desktop iPhone docks from eBay for between £1 and £3 each and then proceeded to dismantle them, searching for a cicuit board of appropriate dimensions and with a 30-pin connector mounted at the desired angle. Once I'd found one, I had to desolder the analogue audio output so as to make the circuit board as low-profile as possible...
IMG_2185.jpg

I then started the process of accurately measuring clearances, tolerances, etc. Once I'd got all my measurements, I designed a few pieces in some 2D CAD/CAM software. Luckily, one of the schools for which I provide tech services has a laser cutter, so I used that to accurately make the parts I'd designed. I made the parts from a sheet of plastic (found on eBay) that happens to have a surface very similar to that of the A2's dashboard...
IMG_2183.jpg

Here's the first part of the new dock assembly. Keeping this assembly as thin as possible was crucial, as there's very little vertical height within the cup holder drawer. The vertical section will simply block the view into the back of the dock once fully installed...
IMG_2222.jpg

The above assembly was then laid into the stripped-out cup holder. The cable was connected to the back of the circuit board and hot-glued to stop it from working loose. The circuit board was also supported from beneath to stop it from parting from the upper plastic sheet when applying downwards pressure with the phone...
IMG_2351.jpg

The cable must emerge from the dock towards the front due to space limitations within the dashboard, so is passed forwards through the toothed guide. It then needs to follow a tight curve. I drilled a series of small holes and used fine wire to hold the cable in the required position...
IMG_2356.jpg

The cable and the fine wire were then set in Araldite. A 0.5mm sheet of acrylic was cut and glued in order to limit the dock's range of travel...
IMG_2370.jpg

Last edited:
With the fascia in place, the dock was ready to be fitted into the centre console...
IMG_2386.jpg IMG_2377.jpg IMG_2380.jpg

The dock was inserted into the vent assembly, alongside the passenger's cup holder. The cable follows the route of the hazard warning switch...
IMG_2389.jpg

With the vent assembly back in the dash and all connections made, the job was done...
IMG_2406.jpg

I always strive to do everything to OEM standard. Whilst an iPhone dock was never an OEM option, I'm pleased with my effort. I hope others like it, too.

Tom

Last edited:
Would a similar Audi Concert fit my March 2001 75 SE single Din? With new screen etc my car is now bone dry and I can consider upgrades and fitting a phone, rear speakers etc.
Sadly will miss the meal at Fort Dunlop next weekend due to a family reunion just ten miles away!

Would a similar Audi Concert fit my March 2001 75 SE single Din? With new screen etc my car is now bone dry and I can consider upgrades and fitting a phone, rear speakers etc.

Hi Meriafel,

As it stands, your 2001MY A2 isn't able to support a Concert II unit like the one you see in my car, but I've recently devised a way of modifying the electrics of early A2s to accept Generation II head units. A few final tests are needed, but I'm reasonably confident of success.
I'm pleased to hear you've sorted the leak issues and are now able to concentrate on adding a few niceties to your A2. Maybe send me a PM with your desired upgrades and we can hopefully sort something out.

Cheers,

Tom

Wow, Chris, thank you very much. That's from the top drawer of compliments. :)

Well, you know, most people would be happy with some aftermarket cradle attached somehow to the fascia. It takes some effort and dedication to produce something quite as special and in keeping as that. Credit where credit is due. That is top banana!

I don't normally get excited about such things.

Chris

I seriously need one of these, my current set up is ok but nothing like as good as this.

Tom, would you be willing to help?

Cheers,
Hedge

Can these be made to order?

I seriously need one of these... would you be willing to help?

Thanks guys. The issue we've got in creating more pop-out docks is that the original desktop dock from which I sourced the circuit board is seemingly no longer available. However, I'm sure other suitable boards are out there, for both 30-pin and later lightning connectors. Obviously this would mean remeasuring and redsigning some of the laser-cut components. However, should there be enough interest, I'd be willing to go back to the drawing board and make a batch of these.

I'd happily add the Bluetooth component to any member's A2.

Cheers,

Tom

Last edited:
So I guess this would work just as well with an iPod touch?
Will it work on a Symphony II ?

As long as the iPod Touch has Bluetooth (which I think was implemented from the third generation), then it will be able to connect and play its contents wirelessly through the car stereo.

The Symphony II has all the same connections and functionality as the Concert II, so the setup would function identically.

Cheers,

Tom

Last edited:
tom, that is exceedingly nice. your craftsmanship is exceptional! it looks very very oem.

my current set-up is a discreet aux-in connects2 kit with a bluetooth adapter (http://www.a2oc.net/forum/showthread.php?21961-Neat-aux-out-plug-under-the-ashtray) and a very ropey (yet functional) cradle wedged under the steering rake in front for the dash to hold my phone cradle.jpg or simply using the cup holder and let my phone slide around in there, but im definitely going to be attempting something similar to this over the next few weeks.

thanks for the inspiration

Hi Tom,

Great looking mod - I've bought myself the same xcarlink unit - mainly based on your post!

I've tried to install it this evening but it seems there is no power going to the unit. Radio and CD player work fine - I don't have a cd changer and have read that the xcarlink should be plug and play - do I need a cd changer for this to be the case? Would I need to activate anything on the headunit (via external controller?) the led next to the usb port is not showing any signs of life and there is no bluetooth signal to be discovered.

I have emailed XCarlink directly - but I'm aware the weekend is around the corner and not sure I'll get a response from them before it gets here....

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Chris

Back