Power Socket/Cigarette Lighter

LordTJC

I'm not sure how to get the lighter out so that the power socket can be used for other means. The manual just says take it out. Do I have to press the button so that it heats up and pop out, or is there another way?

On our other cars, the lighters stick out, and you just pull them out, but on mine it is flush with the socket.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1406128391.169692.jpg

Hi,

it should stick out. Pressing it in as seen in your picture is what to do to heat it up. It then pops out when hot.

Perhaps the fuse has blown and so it isn't heating up?

regards

Andrew

Hi,

it should stick out. Pressing it in as seen in your picture is what to do to heat it up. It then pops out when hot.

Perhaps the fuse has blown and so it isn't heating up?

regards

Andrew

I have not tried pushing it in yet, I didn't want to because I didn't think it looked normal. Maybe someone has pushed it in and it has got stuck.

We managed to get the lighter out (by prising it out). But the socket is not getting any power to it. I have checked the fuse (No. 12), and it is not blown, it does have a 10 instead of 15 amp fuse, but power should still get to it?

Hi,

The lack of power is then why the lighter wasn't popped out.

if you have a voltage tester you can check to see if both sides of the fuse (when fitted) have power or whether there is power to one side of the fuse socket with the fuse removed.

DSC03266.jpg

The Cigarette lighter fuse goes to the permanent live so power should be always on. If there is power on the fuse and the fuse is OK then the problem must be between that and the socket.

The curved plastic piece holding the socket just clips in place, but to remove it you must first remove the handbrake grip and plastic cover. The handbrake grip has a small metal clip holding it in place which is accessible from underneath just by the release button through a small hole. Once the clip is pushed in, the grip slides off past the button. It can be stiff but must be released first! Once the grip is removed, the plastic cover can be slid off the same way.

regards

Andrew

HI,

If the fuse is OK and you seem to have power then push the button down firmly and hold it down while twisting.
When they have not been used for a while they can have dirt / corrosion and twisting them when pushed down tends to scrape the muck away.

Worth a try before you start stripping the thing down.

Steve B

Hi,

The lack of power is then why the lighter wasn't popped out.

if you have a voltage tester you can check to see if both sides of the fuse (when fitted) have power or whether there is power to one side of the fuse socket with the fuse removed.

View attachment 16153

The Cigarette lighter fuse goes to the permanent live so power should be always on. If there is power on the fuse and the fuse is OK then the problem must be between that and the socket.

The curved plastic piece holding the socket just clips in place, but to remove it you must first remove the handbrake grip and plastic cover. The handbrake grip has a small metal clip holding it in place which is accessible from underneath just by the release button through a small hole. Once the clip is pushed in, the grip slides off past the button. It can be stiff but must be released first! Once the grip is removed, the plastic cover can be slid off the same way.

regards

Andrew

Thanks for the diagram/picture. It turns out I was looking at the wrong fuse, the fusebox is upside down compared to the diagram, which I didn't realise.

The fuse was blown, I replaced it with an new one, and after twisting the plug in the very dirty socket, power was getting through (was testing with a rechargeable torch).

Makes me wonder where the fuse for the rear power socket is (one of the previous owners had one retrofitted).

As it is permanently live, I will have to remember not to leave things plugged in when it is parked, I don't fancy getting a flat battery :).

Thanks for everyones help!

Tim

Back