Auto dimming mirror repair

fbi

Hi,
my auto dimming mirror has just failed... (my A2 builds a never ending collection of failures and niggles !).
I know that the "glass" can be replaced alone, instead of buying a new whole assembly, what's expensive (new), or not a so good idea (second hand)
Anyone knows a company or individual offering such repair service ?
Thanks in advance :)
Fabrice

Hi,
my auto dimming mirror has just failed... (my A2 builds a never ending collection of failures and niggles !).
I know that the "glass" can be replaced alone, instead of buying a new whole assembly, what's expensive (new), or not a so good idea (second hand)
Anyone knows a company or individual offering such repair service ?
Thanks in advance :)
Fabrice

Hi,

I am not aware of the option to replace just the glass? As for second-hand it really is not recommended. The design of the auto dimming mirror does mean that they do not have a very long life and so buying secondhand may only be a short term fix.

A new mirror is an expensive option but is the recommended one.

Some people decide to replace it with a "normal" mirror instead (feeling that flipping the mirror when necessary is not a major problem)

But Tom (Timmus) is the expert on these, so lets see what he suggests.

Steve B

Hi i purchased a brand new one from audi about 3 years ago, i got it out the garage to have it fitted whilst my car is in at A2cars. Only to discover that it has failed and now has a bubble across the top. After an internet search i discovered that yes it was scrap and more important the "gel" that has leaked out from between the 2 layers of glass is caustic---resulting in trim damage to a few owners. So seeing as our mirrors sit right above the dash and my fns-e i have decided I'm not going to get another one.
The company that makes them Donnelly has been sold but will still exchange the glass for a reduced cost, but thats in USA. Annoying as its a feature i like on other cars. cheers mike

I had one of these in my BMW e46 3 series. Was not a function I welcomed to be honest.

Anyway, BMW e46s are being scrapped a fair bit these days, could a BMW dimming mirror or one from a stable closer to home, say Seat/VW/Skoda be sourced?

Just to add, I've not heard of the BMW mirrors failing, and they go pretty cheap on eBay if you could mount and wire it.

Last edited:
I've noticed this :- http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-A...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item19f0ee201f , on Ebay. Seems alot to pay? I recall that auto-dimming mirrors from other Audi models can be made to fit? I see that better prices are possible for those models .... Is there a particular Audi model type that is preferable for fitting/modifying into the A2?

David
Indeed, that's expensive for an old one... prone to fail sooner or later.
It seems that the part nr of the mirror fitted in the A2 is 8D0-something, hence an A8 part. And it was fitted to A4's too, apparently.
If a new one costs 150 GBP, that's to solution that I'll choose.

Just to add, I've not heard of the BMW mirrors failing, and they go pretty cheap on eBay if you could mount and wire it.
They seem to fail regularly aswell. At least that's what I found on the web, while searching for a repair service... :)
Thanks for the suggestion, but as stated above, a new one from Audi won't cost me an arm and leg...

Back