passenger side wishbone

dkenington

A2OC Donor
Hi all,
Quick question as I have been searching the forums and not found a clear answer - how easy/tricky is it to change the front passenger side wishbone? I took the car to get tracked earlier in the week and turns out its slightly bent so needs replacing. Not surprised given it was the wheel which met with a kerb going too fast.

I looked on elsawin and it says its pretty straightforward, but wanted to check - I have got myself in trouble before pulling suspension bits apart!
cheers
David

1.4 TDI 90

Wishbones, or lower control arms, can only be removed correctly by dis-mounting the console which is bolted to the sub-frame.
I suppose you could press or hammer the old unit out but you risk damage to the rear bush which is also best replaced with the console removed from the vehicle.

This job becomes far easier if you have access to ramps and supporting jacks to carry the weight of the sub-frame and steering gear.
Remember also, that to ensure the wheel alignment remains correct, special locating bolts must be used to re-locate the sub-frame on re-assembly.

blue skies
tony

Laser Tools do a version of the Audi T10096 subframe alignment pins - http://www.lasertools.co.uk/item.aspx?cat=0&item=4184. The are still quite expensive however if they will only be used once or twice.
Other members who have dropped the subframe to replace roll bars etc, carefully scribed the subframe to give reference marks for correct alignment when refitting.
Whichever method is used, a 4 wheel alignment check, especially after a major knock to the suspension, would be a sensible precaution.

Cheers Spike

Hi All,
Thanks for this - hmm - this is sounding a bit more involved than I would like but I want to get it done as I want to sell the car and I cant do that knowing there is this issue there lurking (and Audi have quoted me £480!). I have got ramps and jacks, so that isnt a problem - a little worried about the alignment of the subframe. Going to search for a thread on that...

Will definitely get a 4 wheel alignment check done after the work is done regardless - it was actually doing one of those, which alerted me to the issue.
Cheers
David

Back