Wet floor

Colin 540

A2OC Donor
England
Hi All,

I have a rear bench seat and when I lifted it up to clean under bench seat in the centre is a wet patch,it was there when I brought the car 2 weeks ago,today lifted seat up and its still there its not been driven in the rain only this morning first thing.
Your thoughts please

Cheers
Colin

HI Colin, I assume seat is dry? Have you lifted the carpet to see underneath? Sounds like the place when the access cover is for the Fuel pump and if this is loose/missing could explain it.

Hi Paul,
Yes seat is dry,its in the centre roughly where the middle passenger would sit,carpet is fitted can't see how I would remove the carpet plastic trim around edges afraid of breaking the trim.
Yes I have OSS will look now in boot.
Dan NO WATER IN BOOT OR BATTERY COMPARTMENT

Colin

Last edited:
There is a plastic trim that runs along near where the seats hinge that covers the gap between the floor and rear footwell carpet. This pulls off and should allow you to lift the carpet.

There is a plastic trim that runs along near where the seats hinge that covers the gap between the floor and rear footwell carpet. This pulls off and should allow you to lift the carpet.

Hi Colin,

Just to add to Paul's post, the plastic strip that runs close to the hinges must be slid, not pulled directly upwards, otherwise there is a risk of damaging the fixing/retaining mechanism.
I'm not sure which way it slides, or if it'll slide both ways.

Cheers

Jeff

Cheers Jeff, I always pulled it and have got away with it but the sliding makes more sense! Brute force is not always the way although after removing countless Audi panels and trims sometimes it is scary how much effort is required!

Hi Paul A2,
Got carpet up and its wet, can see plastic cover removed the plastic cover and its bone dry in there so I assume its not that.

Cheers
Colin

Last edited:
Hi Colin,

Does the wetness smell of anything, or feel like it's anything other than water?

Was there dampness around the fuel sender cover area, or was this area dry?

Can you see anywhere that might give an insight where the ingress is coming from?

I'd leave the carpet out, dry the floor and take it for a drive in the rain and see if you can identify if it's coming from the floor or somewhere else.

Cheers

Jeff

Hi Jeff,
Just water to me no smell, fuel pump area dry and dusty, could not see any obvious ingress.
Yep dryed all up and left carpet up, there was suggested is battery compartment full of water and no its dry, if it was full of water whats the cause of this may be worth looking into that also.

Thanks
Colin

Hi Colin,

If you do a search on bumper seals there should be many threads that'll give you a good understanding of what the causes/fixes are for a wet boot floor.

Too many to list - but the search works well.

Cheers

Jeff

It could be the bumper vents, a hassle. I have never really got mine waterproof. I park nose down so I think water runs down the tailgate seal and into that "gutter" at the top of the rear bumper, then it trickles into the vents down the gaps in the gutter nearest the rear lights. I have put duct tape on the gutter gaps to stop the water trickling down nearest the rear lights, make it go further inboard. Seems to work quite well, floor is much drier now. More info if you want it.

I get a faint line of wet from the left rear light along the carpet nearest the wheel arch to the hinged chrome tie-down and then under the seats. Battery compartment stays bone dry.

But yes, I get a wet carpet sometimes & have to leave the rear seats folded to dry it out. IMHO one of the big flaws on the A2.

Good luck

Hi Paxo,

Thanks guessed that would be the next area to look at, its on my next to do list.
Cheers
Colin

Update 17/01/2015,
Whats been done ref above damp / condensation, OSS was serviced and rain channels cleaned out all by rob womautomotive, sat in car whilst neighbour blasted car with karcher to see if any ingress of water around doors and nothing was found, AND STILL GOT DAMP CONDENSATION, my mechanic removed rear bumper to check on vents, they are in perfect condition no blockages and dry like new, so will have to live with it suggested get a cadburys heroes tin drill holes in lid fill with dehumidifying crystals and leave in the boot. :confused:

Colin

Well hopefully now sorted, it was the rear bumper vents seals had perished, now replaced and sealed with silicon also just to be sure, just need to dry out the boot carpets now looking forward to a dry boot.
Happy A2 Motoring

you can sort this by not removing the bumper just take out the carpet and all the loose stuff move seats forward remove battery and seal the 2 holes behind the inner carpet but up to you removing the bumper is the best option but the worst to do.

No, it won't. It's been covered often enough, this is the only thorough answer.

Feel free to take the easy route and have to fix it correctly anyway...

Been there, bought the shirt, fixed the vents, disbelieving it, but saw it working. Anything else is fixing symptoms, not cause.

- Bret

Back