Information The story so far......An A2 obsession

Foghorn

Foghorn here. Thought I'd give an update to my ownership experience over the years especially as I am seldom on the board due to the other car in the garage taking up most of my time. This post might be useful for any buyers out there given that, I think, I've been a forum member since 2002.

I got my first A2 Tdi in 2002 which was a Audi managers car sold after its first year on their fleet. I ran it for 4yrs before passing it on to my father in law who kept it until last year. He now has a Tdi 90. In the 11yrs of combined ownership the only parts ever replaced were drop links and a new battery along with the usual service consumables - brakes/discs and timing belt etc. Apart from the timing belt all the servicing has been done by ourselves often using the advice from members on here which has proved invaluable over the years. Audi service prices I can do without.

I then had a dabble with a VW Touareg before deciding I wanted another A2 and in 2006 managed to pick up a 2004 (fluted grille) on eBay which was less than a mile from my house. The owner was working on the London rail extension and used the car to travel in it weekly Manchester to London and return. IIRC the car had around 55k miles (now has 85k). Again no issues with this car to date. Countless drop links, timing belt and disc/pads but other than that I drop the oil (Castrol Edge) every 2yrs and change the filter. Usual wear to the heating control buttons - attributable to my wife!

In 2007 the wife decided she didn't like her Fiat and wanted an A2. I decided to give her the 2004 whilst I went off and bought (sight unseen) the 2003 Tdi which Havank was selling on here. The deal was done over the phone and a few weeks later I flew to Gatwick and collected the car from a mate who had stored it on his driveway. Again in the 7yrs I had this car it has needed nothing apart from the oil/filter, drop links, disc/pads and a broken rear spring. Timing belt/water pump I leave to the experts. The heating controls in this are perfect as I leave the CC in Auto at 22DegC and literally never touch. Or if I do I'm careful. Now on 106k. I regret changing the fuel filter at 100k given that I had to do a repair on the housing and there was essentially nothing wrong with the filter - still clean. Safety return on the drivers door window can be problematic and there's probably a small leak somewhere on an intercooler pipe as the car sometimes goes into 'limp' mode but a quick turn off/on of the ignition and its sorted - been like that 7yrs and quite seldom so I can live with it! Stealth re-map really does make a difference - economy unaffected but mid-range pick up on the motorway is superb. Retro-fit PDC I probably dont need but its useful and the arm rests Havank fitted are great.

So from this I have to say these cars must be one of the most reliable on the road. Having two which are now 10 and 11 yrs old with basic home servicing - effectively an oil and filter change every two years is all I've done to keep them going. Still on original battery, AC never regassed, Open Sky (on the 2001 car) faultless. Bodywork is fine with no corrosion etc. but as they live outside a good machine polish is probably needed on mine.

Having recently driven several very new small diesel cars (Seat Leon is fantastic) they are now showing their age in terms of engine smoothness/economy but build quality is still up there. Also for me the elevated driving position suits my bad back and I often do round trips of 500 miles with ease. They are unlikely ever to be for sale and hope I can get many more years out of them.

So if anyone is thinking these cars are too old/expensive to buy, think again. Full Audi SH is worth little in my view. Buy on condition and just make sure the timing belt has been done at the prescribed points.

Having recently driven several very new small diesel cars (Seat Leon is fantastic) they are now showing their age in terms of engine smoothness/economy but build quality is still up there.

Foghorn, I'd certainly agree with smoothness/feel but perhaps not with economy. Even driven quite spritely I never get less than 55 mpg & my experience of the newer motors seems to indicate you'll need to drive uite steady to acheive the same. BTW which diesel was in the Leon, the 1.6 or 2.0?

Not sure on the Leon engine as they were Enterprise cars that just turn up outside my house. I suspect the 1.6? Agree on fuel to some degree as I average 60mpg with the chipped A2 with my best at 75mpg!

I think now though the bigger diesel engines have become more efficient - I once had a BMW 330D with 8sp DSG when they ran out of Seats. That averaged 50. Not bad for a hire car!

I think I'm right in saying the Leon is pretty much the same as the Golf so it's not surprising it's such a nice drive. One thing I'm never keen on with the new diesels is the linear power output. I've said it before but the 1.4 Tdi has that lovely surge of torque that may not make it faster than others but it certainly feels better.

And again I'd agree with you regarding the larger diesels - I had an A6 V6 courtesy car once, wohoo! Wasn't the 330D made famous by Jenson Button being caught speeding at 150 in one ? No doubt with a fragrant young beauty on his arm as well. Just were did I go wrong?

Andy B

Last edited:
Great read Foghorn, Just makes me look forward for the years to come with me A2 and even better once I can get a Re-map done...hehe

:)

Great read Foghorn, Just makes me look forward for the years to come with me A2 and even better once I can get a Re-map done...hehe

:)

Yes Havank had the remap done by Stealth Racing and the power curves etc were in the documentation. It does make a difference at overtaking acceleration. I guess a nippy A2 in the outside lane of the M6 keeping up with the 'big boys' is not an everyday sight.

I used to change my car every two years but the A2 I get great pleasure driving it, it does everything I need and hopefully will keep going for many more years. Let's hope they keep making the drop links and I can still keep getting them off eBay for a tenner. I reckon I've got the time to changing a pair to under 15mins!

banana2.gif

Back