Bike carrying solutions

dan_b

A2OC Donor
I'm planning a family holiday next summer in the French Alps and was considering driving the A2 there with at least a couple of bikes, two adults and two growing lads.

I currently have roof bars and one genuine Audi bike carrier.

However, with 4 up in the car too it's possible we might need to use the roof space for a roof box for luggage, and I might need to take 3 or even 4 bikes.
The A2 is going to be heavily laden if this comes off!

My question is whether there are any other alternative bike carrying solutions for the A2 other than on the roof? I've seen other cars with bike carriers on the bootlid with multiple bikes on them - can these be fitted to the A2 at all? If so which brands/ makes are best?

Alternatively, has anyone got any proper Audi bike carriers for sale so I can at least get a couple more up on the roof?!

The best bike carrier for the roof bars is by far the Thule 591 Proride. Since the roof bars are also made by thule, they are compatible (a "smart" attachment system instead of bolting u-shaped bolts...)

Apart from that, there are 2 problems for using a traditional bootlid bike carrier : the roof spoiler, and the edges of the top part being glass.
One German maker made a solution for this, that implies bolting attachment parts at the side of the bootlid.
BTW : 4 people, roof box, 4 bikes... that sounds a little optimistic to me :)
Unless the whole lot is not too heavy...

My bike is only 7kg, but I hear you, it could well be too much with 4 bikes and a roof box! Don't want to accept that the A2 is getting to be too small for the family...

Is the roof wide enough for a small-ish roof box and one bike?

The most efficient and safest solution would be to use a towball-mounted carrier. I use an Atera Strada. An expensive mod as I had an Audi OEM detachable towbar fitted for it but worth every penny as I've had my A2 for 7 years - and counting.

Last edited:
My bike is only 7kg, but I hear you, it could well be too much with 4 bikes and a roof box! Don't want to accept that the A2 is getting to be too small for the family...

Is the roof wide enough for a small-ish roof box and one bike?
4 bikes of 7kg on the roof, that's OK, I guess, but at motorway speed, that's a big force on the roof...
I can't say if there's enough space on the roof bars to attach 4 bike racks. One should compare the bars width and the width of one single bikerack. Then, the A2 roof is rather high ; loading the 2 "center" bikes will require a stool, at least for me :)
My bikerack in on the right side, not far from the bars end. It's fairly easy to put a bike there. Yesterday I loaded my heavier bike (approx 13,5kg), that's more difficult than then lighter at 5,3kg, but still OK. I can't imagine securing often 4 bikes on the roof :(
Moreover, the bike would probably have to be in "staggered" way. Hence, the racks also staggered. that means being on the wrong side to secure the bike on the rack...
For the roof box + bikerack question, I hope that's possible, because I maybe intend to do it aswell :) It's a matter of measuring first... and finding the right roofbox.

The most efficient and safest solution would be to use a towball-mounted carrier. I use an Atera Strada. An expensive mod as I had an Audi OEM detachable towbar fitted for it but worth every penny as I've had my A2 for 7 years - and counting.
That's the proper and best solution, IMO (but not possible in my case : Votex bodykit)
Be careful not to load too much weight on the towbar, as it can bend the chassis.

I'm thinking again - taking 3 or 4 bikes on a 1400 mile round trip to the Alps is ridiculous. What I will probably still do is take my bike (as I simply can't countenance riding a rental!), but maybe instead hire (or buy) a bike transport box for it, and rent the rest locally the kids won't mind, and I'll be much happier pulling my 7kg bike up Alpes D'Huez.
I can pack the bike down flat in the box and stick that on the roof bars. Might then still have enough space for a small amount of luggage on the roof too.

I have a bike bag (not hard shell, but not flabby) that I use when taking a plane.
When a road bike is in it, there's still plenty of room for other items, that's huge !
That might be a good solution, if you don't need to take your bike out and put in back in several times during your trip.

Back